Do you have your wedge start with the snapper or the guard

Who is the "Center" point of the wedge?

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

SG is the apex.  By NT I mean the 1 or 2 tech.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

The final week of practice before Game 1 is in the books.  This week we installed 27 sweep, drilled O detail and ST.  I finally had most of the kids show up to both practices and got to go live with the OL in indy.  This made a big difference in their get off.  We did 10 yard fight this week and it was a hit with the boys.  I set it up as backs against the line with pushups for the losing team.  Good fun and a few tears.  No quitters.  During team D last night I threw 2 passes to my starting TE, both for ~15 yards, both were caught.  I might have to put sweep pass in next.  ;D

I assigned 2 captains this week and explained the challenge system.  I got immediate challenges so that will take place next week.  Last night we did promise keepers with some pretty good results.  I finished with The ROPE and had them collect grass for the coin toss.  I was surprised by how pumped up they got over the rope.  I didn’t think I was doing a particularly good job of selling it but their response was spontaneously loud and animated.  It made me proud.

The boys are coming along nicely, thanks to the DC community.  Thank you.  I am sure that an experienced coaching staff would be further along at this point but I don’t think we’ve done too bad.  The O is looking better every practice and the D is reacting well.  Aggression is way up (these guys are getting chippy), I see signs of MOJO taking hold.

Game 1 is tomorrow and the dragons are growing.  I sure hope we out worked our opponent.

Going forward we have plenty to work on:
Continue to build aggression
Continue to work MOJO
Continue to work on detail – O execution, D alignments/assignments/techniques
Improve tackling technique
Improve blocking technique
Add 2-3 more plays

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Game 1 is in the books.

We won 24-0.

We scored twice on 18 sweep, once on 16 power and once on 27sweep.

The good: Our 0T4 (zero tackle 4) Defense was dominant.  My ends closed the box and my LBs & Cs ate their lunch.  We had a little bit of free lance playing but the boys did their jobs for the most part.  We would have held them to negative yards if we hadn't missed so many tackles.  My priority has been to drill them on responsibilities and reaction, less on tackling form so I am not surprised.  Not many big hits but they tackle in bunches.

A short rant on the game.  My league has no blitzing for the lower levels.  Its silly, ambiguous and unenforceable.  I would not blitz even if I could.  The other coach complained that he could not get a hand off done before my LB was on his QB.  Result, discussion with the ref, then a flag for blitzing on the next play.  I had to slow my LBs down because the other team could not either block or get out of the backfield. Play hard, but not too hard, I guess.  Arrrrgh!

The bad: My QB could not take a snap.  He dropped Every!Single!One! I put the backup in late in the game for a TD on 27 sweep.  The problem was partly that the C was snapping a little hard but was still on target.  The real issue is that I can't get the QB to keep his elbows off of his knees so he can react to the snap.  Result, fast snap bounces off of his hands.  We executed a total of 8 offensive plays.  The first 2 powers went for little to no gain due to early game mistakes by the line.  2 other powers for short gains.  The other 4 plays went for TD.  No PAT due to dropped snaps.  Drop, drop, drop, TD.  False start, false start, false start, TD.  Good snap TD. Good snap TD.  I run Z motion with my wing (who is a little guy) and his cracks on the LB early in the game were probably the biggest hits of the game.

This week we are drilling snaps and live gap protection on O.  Form tackling and continued responsibility and reaction on D.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The problem was partly that the C was snapping a little hard but was still on target.

Robert, that's what you want for your Center.  You want it fast.  That's like complaining that your pullers are pulling too fast.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Dave - i agree and i would prefer it fast and have it caught. I intend to drill the whole thing extensively this week. Part of my inexperince is knowing how to best use my time. Obviously i should have spent more time drilling snap.

Funny you should mention pulling. Only real mistake by my sg today was leaving early and blasting the de.  Part of my false start series to start the second half.

RJ

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

The real issue is that I can't get the QB to keep his elbows off of his knees so he can react to the snap.  Result, fast snap bounces off of his hands. 

RJ

This is very fixable once you have identified it. It took me 1/2 season last year (sorry to say) to figure out what was going on. 1 good week of practice, pregame reminders, and then remind in the huddle and as you come to the line (assume you are on the field). It helps, as always to explain the why to them, even if they are 6. It becomes very clear to them when you demonstrate how you can't adjust at all when the elbows are touching the legs. I've had to fix one back last week and starting on the back up QB this week.

What is "Z" motion w/ your WB? We still only have 3 plays in after 2 games (but when you run a total of 12 plays from scrimmage in the game don't really need anymore, you could have timed the other team with a sundial getting in and out of the huddle). I'm going to add 2 more this week (TRAP and a QB COUNTER) and in 3 weeks we will play a championship contender. I was considering starting to work on the Mouse Motion (WB motioning to the QB w/ 1/2 spin) but I'm thinking I will save it for playoffs and just start working the motion for 5 to 10 minutes a week pre practice or after practice.

Congrats on the win.

One more, how are you teaching your DE's? I'm struggling a bit w/ finding the key words/concepts/drills to teach them at this age. I've got one that does well but the other side is a problem area that needs to be fixed.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

R - I have been reminding him all preseason but I coach the line and my back coaches  don't enforce it.  They now see why it is necessary.  It will be drummed this week and I will make a point to work on reminding them in game.  By the end on the game we were full no huddle and I cant talk once we start cadence.  Just another of the 800 things I am trying to remember at once, another place that inexperience takes its toll.  Not enough is reflexive yet, but it will come.

Z motion is ala DCWT or DCSW.  The wing lines up split ~5 yards and goes in slow motion toward the ball.  At the snap he cracks the OLB on power and sweep.  This gives him an angle advantage and running start on a bigger defender.  It also keeps him from getting tangled with the DE and influences the CB.

Sound like you have a lot of plays in. Good job if they are all working.  We have 16, 18, wedge, 43, 27.  I will add 14, mouse 47 and 18 pass once we get further along.  I will also add formations: base, In (wing at BB), and Over (wing left).  I am dying to install balanced spin series but don't have the balls yet.

On D I do a little indy to teach reaction and techniques but most of my D time is team against coach scout.  I drum fit and responsibility for all positions.  I use the subs to play TE and task them to seal the DE.  I then make sure we really pressure them to make contain.  For example I will run quick pitch to a coach and they have to haul ass to not get beat. I will also fake pitch and run boot to test the back side.  Of course we do off tackle to challenge the LB.  We rep it as fast as the coaches can manage.  No UC 6 year old QB can execute a handoff near that quick so our guys are deep before the and they are converging on the mesh O can hand off (our opponents will get better but so will we).  The whole D does pushups for a coach TD.  I also make sure they are using their "shield" (inside rip) against blockers and keeping their outside arm free (DE is called Captain America).  I remind them that they are the wall that the O beats themselves against the that they are the key to the D.  Player selection is also important.  They need to be strong enough to hold their ground and disciplined enough to do their job.  It helps that I am blessed with 5 boys that could play LB.  I align them outside of the TE in a 2 pt stance so they have a clear run to position.  Even against nasty at this level they are faster than the backfield.  LB and CB fill hard. 

Not quite by the book but just how I do it at this level.

RJ

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

RJ,

Did you run a total of 12 plays from scrimmage including your fumbled snaps? With your timing rules I would expect you guys to get off more plays. That is how many we ran. Other teams have been extremely slow getting in and out of the huddle, especially when you consider they are only running QB Left and QB Right and give no instruction to the OL.

I went ahead and put in 2 more plays last night giving us a total of 5 (6 if you count freeze, but the DL have pretty much just stood there so I haven't run it). I had joked what is the point if we are only running 12 to 15 plays a game but our next 3 opponents are much better coached so hopefully we can run a few more plays.

Added in a QB COUNTER (BB Kicks DE and RG Leads through hole) and a BB COUNTER (Basically 31 TRAP for Defenses we see). RG KICKS DE.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

8 plays from scriimmage. 4 xp attempts. We scored on all successful snaps so there were no drives to build play count. The other team was sloooow. We also wasted some time lining up and subbing but we will get faster.  We also have a running clock option in the 4th when down by 18 or more.  The second and part of the third qtr were eaten by their drives.

I watched some film and didnt expect the amount of freelancing that went on.  We still have a lot of work to do.

I am adding mouse 47 this week to get the wing some touches.

I love 31 but there is only the de to trap in 8 man.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Another week of practice is in the books and the boys are really starting to get it.  Tonight's practice ran smoother than it ever has.  They are starting to line up right on their own, their stances look good, only a few even need their wrist coaches.  Even the crier is making real progress.  His effort is way up and the tears have all but gone away.  He is going to be a beast once he decides he wants to be.

I installed Mouse 47 and they mesh consistently.  I motion the wing from the split position and the timing is about right.  Both of my WB are hard working little guys and I look forward to getting them some touches.

The big event this week has been Tee Time.  I ran it both days.  From day 1 it was intense and it was the most contact they have done to date (I still start practice with fight club).  I had my backs run and everyone else in the D lines.  I ran it at a very fast pace, snapping it to the backs as quick as I had 3 ready.  When we finished the drill all 9 of the boys there that day were out of breath and at least 5 were sniffling with boo boos.  None of them quit or slowed down the whole time.  The look on their faces afterward is going to be one of my fondest memories from the season.  I could see the change in their eyes.  They had gone to the limit and survived.  I praised them for being tough enough to run high school drills and for not quitting.  Tonight they cheered when I asked them what time it was: TEE TIME! and it was on.  This time there was no sniffling.  My star athlete who was timid with contact at the beginning of the season was trucking defenders and dragging them for extra yards.  This provided a great example for my other backs who picked up their intensity.

I had challenges for both captains.  My lineman lost out and my once timid QB fought like dog to keep his spot against my TB.  They get excited at promise keepers.  I forgot to collect grass but I will bring some to the game.  I handed out team goal stickers and academic stickers.

I put in a drill that I came up with to replace big OK.  I am a fan of OK but at this age it doesn't flow very well.  I merged OK with 3 slot and am very pleased with the results. 3 defenders in the slots, 3 O reach blocking and a back running to a called hole.  I will post an explanation in drills if anyone is interested.

All in all things are improving and I am proud of the boys.

Our mantra is: "every play is fight club"

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I praised them for being tough enough to run high school drills

Attaboy, Robert.  Sounds like you're really in sync with your kids.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

I installed Mouse 47 and they mesh consistently.  I motion the wing from the split position and the timing is about right.  Both of my WB are hard working little guys and I look forward to getting them some touches.

I put in a drill that I came up with to replace big OK.  I am a fan of OK but at this age it doesn't flow very well.  I merged OK with 3 slot and am very pleased with the results. 3 defenders in the slots, 3 O reach blocking and a back running to a called hole.  I will post an explanation in drills if anyone is interested.

RJ

You've been motioning from Day 1 correct? If you have video of your MOUSE w/ 6s I'd like to see. I would like to add the MOUSE motion mostly for the MOUSE 16 POWER and MOUSE 32 WEDGE. We play a championship contender in 2 more weeks, trying to decide if it is worth the investment (I don't think we can have it in 2 weeks but maybe for the playoffs). Part of the issue is that my Starting WB my not be able to handle it (We passed on installing SWEEP due to I didn't want to overload him with 2 separate blocking assignments) he only blocks FBI or gets the Ball 43 Counter. It is week 7 and last night was the first time he answered me correctly during skeletons on what to do each time I asked him but still got the feeling he was guessing. He attempted to tackle our QB 3 times during Game 1 (was successful once, but I'm 90% sure he's got that figured out at this point not to do that but I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again) so I'm pretty cautious about adding anything else for him and always make sure to get a verbal from him on every play now.

Please share your modified OK drill. We too have found that OK @ this age is not very productive. Our tackling is getting better (aggressive) but still see a lot of going high and grabbing around the shoulders. Been working a lot on keeping our feet moving as they tend to try and "catch" the runner as he either goes by or slams into them.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Dave - Thanks for the support.  I try to emphasize at every opportunity that they are doing things way above their level and that there is nothing they can't do.

Royal - I have been running Z motion since day one but I just put mouse in this week so I have no video.  The way I split my wing his motion is more like Rocket than mouse anyway.  It looks good as he does not have to change speed much to hit the mesh, its less thinking.

It sounds like your wing is young.  Mine is as well and it took him a while to pick it up but now he is anal about the process.  He counts out his eight steps from the end then back one, then checks if he is in the gap between the line and backs.  He has his little ritual.  His blocking rule is the widest defender in the second level.  I found he had a hard time identifying and tracking the LB.

I would suggest setting up cones, put him with a coach and rep him up. I bet he will get it faster than you think.

RJ

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze
Topic starter  

This week's game was against a tough team.  They had similar talent with a slight edge in size and experienced coaching.  We have speed and the SW.  This team lost a tough opener against the best coach in the league so they were hungry.  The game was at 0800 with our warmups to start at 715.  I got there at 0700 and they were already on the field warming up.  I only had half my team by 730 and this was just the start of our struggles.  My starting TE and LB was a no call no show.  I have a solid 7 players but size and talent drops pretty quick from there.

My no-show exposed a gap in my personnel contingency planning and we scrambled to adjust the lineup.  The result was that several players had to play out of their normal position.  The whole team played flat footed for the first half.

They won the toss and deferred and our opening drive stalled due to offsides and a dropped snap.  They drove the ball on us running off tackle and scored.  We wobbled back and scored on our next possession, all the while trying to get a line together to hold.  My backup strong side lineman is game but small which kept me from running my marginal wedge and hurt power.  I resorted to fast kid left and right and we managed to score.  They again drove and scored before half time running off tackle and sweep.  They took advantage of my sub DE on the weak side that is scrappy but lacks savvy.  We closed the half down 13-6.

I gave them an energetic talk at half time, reminding them that we never quit, that they needed to wake up and play like Broncos, that they needed to take fight club to the bad guys.  I have been beating the never quit drum all season.  “Do we quit when we are down 2 touchdowns?” “NEVER” “Do we quit when we are up 2 touchdowns?” “NEVER.”  “When do we stop hitting?” “NEVER” “or?” “AT THE WHISTLE.”  “That’s right, never or at the whistle, whichever comes first.” (This exchange takes place almost every practice and makes me laugh every time) It was either my artful speech, the banana, or them getting pissed off that made a world of difference in the second half.  One of my ACs reminded me of how much success we had last year blowing up the snap so I decided to put my SAM at 1 tech to see what would happen.

The adjustment took a couple of plays before my LB got what I wanted him to do and then it was on.  We caused 5 and recovered 3 fumbles in the second half.  The other team had blown their personnel load in the first half and had subs all over the place.  I sub constantly so I never have to slow down. (This wasn’t my smarts, I was following the book and advice from here).  I figured out by then that they were running a spill D so I decided to give wedge a try.  My makeshift line did not form up well but my SG is fight club champ and drove the DG until he saw the back go by.  It looked more like a midline dive and got the job done.  Looking back at film I should have been running inside all game.  I will be ready next week.

Final Score: 26-13 Broncos.  Whew!  3 backs scored on sweep and ~wedge.  I will add stats when my stat coach get back in town but there were probably 65-70 total plays in the game, based on film.

This week it is my turn to face the league’s best coach.  His team is bigger but lacks speed.  I have film on them to watch but no doubt they will block and tackle well.  My emphasis this week will be to get wedge fixed, install 14 blast, and tune up the D.

RJ

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share: