Notifications
Clear all

Brain Trust

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

A little rant about my org. I will have 19 returning players this season. 1 moved to TX, another lives 45 minutes away. 3 others quit in spectacular fashion. Per league rule, I am allowed to "recruit" players who have never played in our league. I am not allowed to recruit returning players from other teams. Other coaches do this with impunity, but that's another story. I have 6 "recruits". 5 of them only signed up to our org to play with their buddy/cousin/brother. One, I approached at a rookie camp. I volunteer at these camps to have access to new players and parents.

One of my ACs is on the BoD and tells me they are considering forming a new 4th team in my age group and sending all new players to that team. Historically, these new teams struggle for several seasons. So for the kids who only signed up to play with friends and relatives . . . too bad, so sad.  The last time our org did this, the new team had a lousy season and folded. Some of those kids returned and entered the blind draft (randomly assigned to existing teams). Some left and never returned. 

Last season, I was arguing with our registrar about this. She looked me dead in the eye and said, "Kids don't sign up to play for you or for the Outlaws. They sign up to play for Arvada Youth Football."

I understand our club's desire to keep roster sizes small over playing time concerns. But to assume that a bigger team means more "my son doesn't play enough" complaints and a smaller team means fewer is folly. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

One of my ACs is on the BoD and tells me they are considering forming a new 4th team in my age group and sending all new players to that team.

--THAT would be the team that I would want.

She looked me dead in the eye and said, "Kids don't sign up to play for you or for the Outlaws. They sign up to play for Arvada Youth Football."

--Wow, sounds like Arvada is the be-all and end-all.  I had plenty of kids who signed up to play for me.  They knew me.  Their parents knew me.  Perhaps a friend or neighbor of their's had played for me.  I was (in that world) a known commodity and kids turned out.  It's rhetoric (if not outright BS) to claim that "kids are here to play for the org."  Some, perhaps.  But there's a million different reasons to play given by a million different kids.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

So for the kids who only signed up to play with friends and relatives . . . too bad, so sad.  The last time our org did this, the new team had a lousy season and folded. Some of those kids returned and entered the blind draft (randomly assigned to existing teams). Some left and never returned. 

As a former program admin this is always tough especially if there are multiple teams in that age group with varsity and JV or splitting.  I really don't miss those conversations.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

As a former program admin this is always tough especially if there are multiple teams in that age group with varsity and JV or splitting.  I really don't miss those conversations.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I can see where they are coming from. Currently, the 3 6th grade teams in our org have 25, 26 and 19 (us) returning. If they have 15 new players (6 of which should be ours) and don't form a new team, that would mean the 3 teams would have 28, 29 and 28 respectively. 

The next complaint is that they shut down registration a few hours before the deadline for "normal" registration (goes up $50 at midnight). Anyone who registered after 8pm that night was put on a wait list. There was no "heads up" phone call or email to us 3 coaches. My buddy had 6 kids in this category and 6 frantic calls by parents. He had to reach out to the brain trust to find out what was going on. He shared that information with me, so when I eventually had 2 kids in that boat, I knew the situation, but not because the brain trust told me. Kind of minor, I suppose, but I've had 6 emails/phone calls regarding my reserve players go unanswered. Once everything is situated, I'm going to ignore emails/phone calls from the brain trust so they know how it feels.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I have all of my 19 returners registered. One of which may not play at all due to surgery. The org decided to shut down registration for good at midnight Saturday. This means if you're not registered by then, you don't play. They sent out an email to that effect at 5:15pm Friday night. I had 2 players who the org told me registered on 7/5, but were "in the wrong place" registration-wise. "Don't worry. We'll move them." Friday they tell me that one of those two never registered. They had him confused with another kid. One flurry of emails and texts later, and the kid was finally registered and on my roster 8:15pm Saturday night, just under 4 hours before the deadline.

Also had an interesting group text between myself and the other two 6th grade coaches. Apparently, there were over 100 6th grade registrations. By my count, that's at least 40 first time players registering as 6th graders, or a 66% increase in an already large-ish org. So maybe football is on the rebound in this little corner of America?

No word on my reserves/recruits. I may be running with 18 this year.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co Our total registrations the last 3 years:

2020 97

2021 132

2022 168 so far

Our peak was 2009 at 332

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co Did they add a 4th AR 6th grade team?

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @troy

@gumby_in_co Did they add a 4th AR 6th grade team?

Yes. Dave P said they found a coach as well.  Also, I got 4 of my 6 reserve/request players. The other two didn't register. One decided to skip a year (???) and the other registered with Golden/Applewood. So I'm at 23 right now, plus whomever they give me in the draft. Dave P said he's going to email his new (last year) players and MPP players' parents and invite them to join the rookie team because "new teams" are where new players and MPPs belong.

ReplyQuote
Share: