Burnout, Disappoint...

Notifications
Clear all

Burnout, Disappointment, & Losing the Fire  

SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
Topic starter  

It's been a strange preseason.  We have so much solid talent.  At the same time, we have a lot of first year players who really have no business being on the football field or ever putting on pads.  On top of this, the number of kids missing extended practice time due to a plethora of lame reasons is at an all-time high.  The league and club are all about inclusivity, and making football accessible, and encouraging more people to sign up.  They do this by demanding no accountability.  So ofcourse this leads to a ton of kids that shouldn't be there and a ton of kids skipping practice knowing there's no ramifications.

I'm only the DC, and the HC is slightly nicer than I am but we both feel the same way.  However, our hands are tied.  I feel like these kids are taking the team hostage.  I'd bench them in a second but we can't due to MPP rules and the fact that I don't want to let down the other hardworking kids on the team.  I'm starting to think I'm done with this coaching biz.  The president of this new pop warner team in recruiting my son fairly aggressively.  I think next year I'll hand him over to them and be done with it.  Only way I'll go back is if I can recruit, have tryouts, and cut players.  Gosh, I know it sounds harsh, but that's just how I feel right now.

I don't know ... just venting.  Anyone else dealing with this crap?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

S

I have been doing this a long time and one thing is always true....the next season will be different. It might get worse...it might get better....even if things stay exactly the same with the team / Org / League...your own situation might change.

This much I can tell you right here and right now. The time you are spending with your son now under a coach / player format is time you will never get back.

Down the road this will matter. Handing him over to another will be one of your biggest regrets in 20 years. If you are being mowed over by politics....enjoy your son. You will never regret that....ever.

Next year might be a completely different atmosphere for you. You never know.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks Brother.  I appreciate your wisdom.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Thanks Brother.  I appreciate your wisdom.

No problem....hard to see how huge this is for you and your son right now. Its just football....just a game....just another day hanging out. All true but its way more than that when it comes to coaching your own son. Way more. You both will understand this years from now when you both can assess his Wonder Years.  You being his coach will be top 5. 

Enjoy every moment together.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
Topic starter  

You're right.  Sometimes the competitive perfectionist in me gets the better of me.  I just can't stand being around such lackluster attitudes while at the same time unable to fix the problem, knowing that I full well could, if were not so gosh darn PC and sensi-poo about everything.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Mike is absolutely right! Those days with your boy can NEVER be re-lived. My oldest is in his last season and my youngest is a year behind him. Coaching those 2 dorks has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. Once they are gone they are gone forever!

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

ditto on coaching your sons.  also, you may find it harder than you think to watch other folks 'coach' your son.

on your OP, is there any way you can link playing time to attendance?  that's what we did last year.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

You have these times coaching your son for only so long. If you can do it without either of you hating it and while being a fair judge of your son's play (time, position, etc.), then don't give that up. I am in my son's last year and I think that I will miss him playing for me.

ReplyQuote
Pantherlinecoach
(@pantherlinecoach)
Bronze

I am going through the same emotions as far as burning out. Its becoming too much like work. I am not allowed to deal with situations involving my team the way I could 10, even 5 years ago. The only reason I have stuck it out is for the few kids and their parents who I promised I would see through our youth program. This is their final year, so if the passion is no longer there, time to go.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

One idea could be this:
The kids who attend practice get to do something in PRACTICE that the other kids dont get to do - that they enjoy doing
Hawiian rules football, deer hunter, sharks and minnows etc

The kids who missed out - need to catch up on their conditioning or fundys etc
Just use the safety excuse- those kids who missed in order to safely play and get their snaps need to get caught up

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

Just curious...but don't MPP rules still allow you to bench kids for disciplinary reasons?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

The administration will be inclusive with no accountability, but that does not mean that your team has no accountability. You can give kids minimum plays if they come to practice and you can have team rules that indicate that you don't play unless you are at X practices that week. Just enforce the rules uniformly.

ReplyQuote
Share: