Notifications
Clear all

Camp ideas?

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
Topic starter  

After years of begging, our ORG is finally gonnna put on a camp/clinic flr the community. We've been around for 50 years and never done a single one.

Anyhow, the camp is for ages 5-15. So I'm looking for ideas on how to keep each age group busy and having fun. Gonna be an all day deal, w/ a lunch period. We're only charging $20 per head, as this is a recruitment deal. So pur budget is limited, but I def want the kids to have fun, want to come back & hopefully make this an anual deal.

We're hoping to get 100-150 kids.

Thanks

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

J -

Well, it depends a bit on exactly what facilities you have at your disposal, and exactly what your schedule is - from your post, I'm assuming this is a one-day deal from about 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.  Assuming that you have both classroom and field space, I would break it up as follows:

- First of all, let the kids work out at whatever position they want to shoot for. It's their camp, so don't force them into the positions you think they'll play - about 90% of the kids will know their position and go where you would tell them to anyway and most of the rest will figure it out by the end of them camp, and every once in a while, a kid will surprise you.

- Split the kids into 4 groups - Linemen, RBs/LBs, WRs/DBs, and QBs.  There may be some overlap between the groups, but let the kids go wherever they want.

- Split the day into 8 segments - Baseline Evals, Field Drills, Field Drills, Chalk Talk, Lunch, Field Drills (light), Chalk Talk, Comparison Evals, Competition & Awards.

- Each group starts with Baseline Evals (this can be throwing accuracy, catching skills, speed, shuttle time, 3-cone time, etc.)

- In the Field Drills segments, QBs are taught mechanics and given throwing drills and drills for handoffs/pitches, etc.  RBs/LBs are given drills for making cuts, pursuit, speed, and tackling technique, WRs/DBs are given drills for footwork, getting in and out of breaks, changing direction/flipping hips, and catching, and linemen are given drills for stance, start and demeanor (i.e. body position).

- Near the end of the day, re-test the kids on the baseline evals so they can see their improvement in just one session.

- The chalk talk sessions will obviously vary greatly by position group, and be careful not to make it too scheme specific, but you want the kids to get that there is a lot to this game mentally and they need to study if they hope to be successfull.

Make it fun and competitive and give out lots of awards (they don't have to be expensive), and you'll probably have a very successful event.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

J

I'd take Doug's excellent plan but change this....

- Split the day into 8 segments - Baseline Evals, Field Drills, Field Drills, Chalk Talk, Lunch, Field Drills (light), Chalk Talk, Comparison Evals, Competition & Awards.

to this....

- Split the day into 8 segments - Baseline Evals, Field Drills, Field Drills, Field Drills, Lunch, Competition, Competition, Competition, Awards.

Competition = games of flag in like Age Groupings. 5/6    7/8    9/10    11/12    13 /14/ 15.  Never been to a Camp that failed when they actually play some games. Been to plenty that are circuit type camps and they tend to fall short especially if you are going drilling for younger kids. The kids are not their to learn how to zone block. They are there to do what they do at recess or on Madden...but with a plan.  🙂

Doug's plan wound be ideal if this weren't a recruiting tool but an actual Camp for your current Members.

My take and good luck. These things are exhausting to put together and then execute...but worth it. You are a good man.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Doug & Mike

Thanks for the ideas, this is a great help! I've never done anything like this so a little fish outta water here.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Mike is dead on here because it is a recruitment tool. A punt ,pass, and kick competition is a good idea. Hawaiin football is a great way to end it as the kids leave having a blast and they will remember that.
The one issue with letting the kids choose which position they go with is that the linemen will have about 3 kids in it.  ::) Who ever does the oline stuff make sure he is a good and charismatic coach who will keep them busy and smiling. So many kids think the oline is boring. It isn't, imho, but a bad coach can make anything suck.

ReplyQuote
Share: