Page 5 / 5
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 5, 2019 5:48 am  

Is there a magic way to explain to a kid to take 3 steps backward instead of forward? Other than "Aiden, stop walking forward at the snap. Take 3 steps backward. Every time."?

I dunno.  I've never tried to get my players to take "3 steps backward," every time.  We do run backwards sprints in our Dynamics, so I know they could do it, if asked.  On the other hand, if they refused to do it for their position, I'd have to find out why.  And after finding out why, I'd determine whether they're the right player for the position.  But I've never taught a read-step/cover step/backpedal.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 5, 2019 5:53 am  

And therein lies another issue of being a good teacher/coach. 

Sometimes taking all the technical stuff out of it and just simplifying things in real world terms to the kids is the best route.

A benefit to switching to the 2-point stance was that we no longer had to use the (considerable) time in teaching a 3-point stance.  And besides, what's the first thing a linemen in a 3-point stance does, after the ball is snapped?  He gets out of the 3-point stance.  So we had him in the 3-point because....?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
November 5, 2019 10:46 am  

A benefit to switching to the 2-point stance was that we no longer had to use the (considerable) time in teaching a 3-point stance.  And besides, what's the first thing a linemen in a 3-point stance does, after the ball is snapped?  He gets out of the 3-point stance.  So we had him in the 3-point because....?

--Dave

Spent my first 2 weeks of practice using a 3 point stance, used it at our leagues jamboree... next day at the rules meeting, they decided to add a rule that tackle to tackle has to be in a 3 point stance.  I taught my most unathletic big kids that absolute crappiest 3 point stance cause they can get out of crappy 3 point stances much better than a good one.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: