Notifications

Choosing and Teaching a Blocking Scheme  

Page 6 / 6
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 27, 2019 7:36 am  

The effect becomes more like running a Wedge play that's off tackle.  It hits hard and fast and the play side line is motivated to come off the LOS quickly, because there's helmets and cleats that are getting ready to be put in their rear end.  The ball-carrier not only becomes hard for a defender to get to, but hard to find.

That's the effect I'm trying to achieve with our ISO tag. Uncovered O-linemen, FB, QB followed by the ball carrier. All down hill, aggressive and fast.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
November 27, 2019 8:00 am  

In traditional logic, yes. But in Dave's example, his pullers aren't blocking anyone. They are either extending the wall or acting as a shield. Is that "power"? I suppose, if your definition is more bodies at the POA.

I think there is a big difference between "aren't blocking anyone" and designating a specific defender to block.  If a defender shows up in the path of the puller/runner, of course the pullers block him.  If no one shows, run through the hole all the way to the end zone.  There's no need to block a defender who is not in position to tackle the runner.  The key is getting the runner to stay behind his blockers as long as possible.

In our offense, we don't run any Power. We try to take advantage of space and leverage.

Your offense is the complete opposite of power.  I am glad, I don't have to coach against it!  Space and leverage requires athletic players who can move in space.  I don't have many athletic players so I have to force everything inside a phone booth to compete.  We have no chance in space.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
November 27, 2019 11:12 am  

In traditional logic, yes. But in Dave's example, his pullers aren't blocking anyone.

Sure, they are.  They just aren't assigned anyone.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
November 27, 2019 1:06 pm  

Two Words regarding Pulls......First Ugly! 

Just my opinion  šŸ˜‰

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  šŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
November 27, 2019 4:16 pm  

Again ideally, if they could find an opponent and go get 'em, that'd be superior because that wouldn't slow your runner down; but to get the advantage of bodies who may be slower it sometimes pays to slow your runner down.

--You had me then you lost me.  Don't slow your runners down.

If your OL were fast enough, you could get them blocking in the open field, and the runner could go as fast as he wanted.

However, because your OL aren't fast enough, your runner should follow their lead, which necessarily slows him compared to how he'd've run on his own.  A sweep's almost always going to be slower than a naked end run.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
November 27, 2019 5:37 pm  

Dude.....Really???

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  šŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
December 3, 2019 2:38 pm  

I think the Facemelter manual got lost in the Great Crash of 2019.

Shame.

nope... I still have it

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
December 3, 2019 2:40 pm  

nope... I still have it

But i cannot freaking find it.. just a hard copy lol

Found it ha!!

ReplyQuote
acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper
December 3, 2019 2:57 pm  

Do share please Tony!

-Chad

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: