Notifications
Clear all

Clinic

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Brian and myself concluded a clinic last night where we discussed "Perfect Technique," "The Invisible Offense," "Teaching Backwards," and academics (among others things).  Really nice to have a clinic where he asks not just good questions, but also understands that coaching is not "plug and play" or a "recipe."  You have to have the knowledge and coaching talent to get the most from your team.  I think the phone call (he's in Louisiana, I'm in NC) was 3 1/2 hours.  It's a pleasure to talk with a coach who not only takes his job seriously but wants to be as thoroughly prepared as possible for every aspect of the season.  We've spoken several times and met last year in Florida with other members of the DumCoach forum.  

The great thing about talking football with Brian is how thorough and detailed he is.  Add to that, he understands that drills, scheme and coaching in general is more complex than many coaches seem to think.  In culinary terms, he understands that successful coaching isn't simply "following the directions on the back of the box" but in being a real chef. Thanks for the talk, Brian.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

Brian and myself concluded a clinic last night where we discussed "Perfect Technique," "The Invisible Offense," "Teaching Backwards," and academics (among others things).  Really nice to have a clinic where he asks not just good questions, but also understands that coaching is not "plug and play" or a "recipe."  You have to have the knowledge and coaching talent to get the most from your team.  I think the phone call (he's in Louisiana, I'm in NC) was 3 1/2 hours.  It's a pleasure to talk with a coach who not only takes his job seriously but wants to be as thoroughly prepared as possible for every aspect of the season.  We've spoken several times and met last year in Florida with other members of the DumCoach forum.  

The great thing about talking football with Brian is how thorough and detailed he is.  Add to that, he understands that drills, scheme and coaching in general is more complex than many coaches seem to think.  In culinary terms, he understands that successful coaching isn't simply "following the directions on the back of the box" but in being a real chef. Thanks for the talk, Brian.

--Dave

Hey Dave,

First, thank you for the kind words. 

I will just say that while I am not sure I said anything that would require thanks from you, I took a ton away and am sure we will have more conversations in the future. As you are aware, the preparation and realizations that I have now where not organic and were learned through some very tough early seasons and very poor decisions as a header. But as you mentioned, the important part is not that my recipe is perfect, but rather I learn from bad meals and change the ingredients to make them better. I think complacency and pride are the two biggest killers of any coach, if you can learn to let go of both, you will be far more successful in the long run. 

--Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Brian and I had another clinic last night about our P.A.I.N. Program!  We were on the phone for more than 2 hours and that was really just the overview.  But as I've said before, he asks great questions and really works to understand cause and effect.  Thanks for the chat, Brian.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: