Back in Business!

Notifications
Clear all

Back in Business!

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Topic starter  

I went to a coaches meeting yesterday with a group of really good people who are in the 2nd year of youth football and call their teams the Virginia Savages.  I was expecting to be the DC for their 10U team but after talking about my experience with Patrick County over the last 5 years and showing the 12U Head Coach some of my video.  He invited me to be his OC and run the offense however I want.  I am cloud 9 excited about this opportunity.  I think it is going to be so much fun.  I have a big ear to ear grin thinking about the whole league of teams that have no clue that the Half Spin is going to be smashing through their defenses in a few short months!  

This topic was modified 4 months ago 4 times by 32wedge

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Nice, Nate! Glad when good things happen to good people.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

That's awesome, Coach!! Can't wait to see the film, so I can learn how to run the Single Wing better.

Have an a great season!!

Coach Terry

P.S. -  I really like the team name 🙂

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Topic starter  

I have not visited Dumcoach much in the last few weeks.  Wife had another operation, sold my house, moved and football season starting so it's been chaotic but I wanted to update on my new football team.

We are loaded with skill players.  I have a phenom QB who is so good that I have to let him throw the ball.  It's very difficult for a Single Wing cult member to admit that we are better with the passer/hand off QB in the backfield than we are with the big downhill tailback running QB, but we are.  I have always prided myself on being flexible and adjusting my schemes to the strengths of each team, so this team is going to have a lot more passing than I ever envisioned on one of my teams.  We are still going to hang our hat on Power, Wedge, Counter and Power Sweep but no one is going to be able to move 11 in the box on us this year. 

So far we have installed one formation (a balanced line double wing with a split end on the left and tight end on the right) and have installed Half Spin sweeps to each side with each wingback motioning to the Half Spin Mesh and Waggle boot passes to both sides off of the Sweep action. Have also put in an off tackle play to the tight end side and a wedge, all off of the same Half Spin backfield action.  We look more Wing T than Single Wing right now but that was intentional.  I was trying to gently move into my contrarian offense with sweeps and passes that my new football family are more familiar with.  It's already fun to watch in practice and should be a very fun season to coach.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I always find it funny how the OC is considered a promotion over a DC position for 99% of coaches. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Topic starter  

@bucksweep58

I don’t know about promotion but with offense, I think you have control over your tempo and game management more than on the defensive side.  

I have spent more than a decade looking for a capable defensive coach who could run that side of the ball while I managed the game and ran the offense.  I think I have finally found the right guy.  The only thing is that he has to deal with the headaches of being Head Coach.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I was being funny or trying anyway. My OC last year hated me anytime he asked for a suggestion I just said "run power"  , "run zone" lol he immediately threw lol.  

It is very tough to get that cohesion amongst coaches, I'm sure you'll do great things.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Share: