Coach leading bobbl...

Notifications
Clear all

Coach leading bobbleheads by facemasks

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

Not coaching this year, just watching my grandson's bobblehead team.   The coaches will grab kids by the facemasks to move them around.  Personally I WOULD NEVER DO THIS and I think it is wrong.  My question is am I right though?  I would like to address with the president , but before I do that I would like some input from you guys.  Is it wrong?  I definitely know grabbing them in anger would be a big no no, but is leading them around?  My thinking is at a minimum we do not want them to do it so coaches should not model it.   Thoughts?

Thanks guys

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Coach TonyM

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Never grab a kid's facemask.  EVER!  

Esp. not the little guys, their necks are not developed, we call 'em bobble-heads for a reason.  This just begging for a injury.

We teach the kids not to grab facemasks in the game, but model it in practice, sends the wrong message.

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Not on any of my teams . . . ever. Deal breaker. Show stopper. The optics are horrible even if the intentions are harmless. No benefit to it, either. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

There's never a need to grab someone by the face mask. In my opinion, this is wrong.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

You're 100% correct, no reason. As a high school official I haven't even seen it there since I started 3 years ago. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

On my team you'll sign a contract that you won't:

1. Use foul language.

2. Put your hand on a player in anger.

3. Put your hand on their facemask, either from frustration or just positioning them on the field.

Don't sign the contract?  Then you won't coach with me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

I think it's completely unnecessary at any level! I'm currently coaching "bobbleheads", and there's no excuse to grab their facemasks. The best way to move the little ones around is to point or stand where you want them to go. Not that difficult

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @ramoody

Not coaching this year, just watching my grandson's bobblehead team.   The coaches will grab kids by the facemasks to move them around.  Personally I WOULD NEVER DO THIS and I think it is wrong.  My question is am I right though?  I would like to address with the president , but before I do that I would like some input from you guys.  Is it wrong?  I definitely know grabbing them in anger would be a big no no, but is leading them around?  My thinking is at a minimum we do not want them to do it so coaches should not model it.   Thoughts?

Everything you wrote, plus we shouldn't get anyone to think of the mask as a handle.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @rpatric

I think it's completely unnecessary at any level! I'm currently coaching "bobbleheads", and there's no excuse to grab their facemasks. The best way to move the little ones around is to point or stand where you want them to go. Not that difficult

Strangely enough, over the years, and not just with the little ones, I've found it hard to get compliance with "feet here".  They always want to stop short of the mark even if I'm leaning over it and point down.  Unless it's a drill, and then they cheat by starting beyond the mark if you use cones.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @bob-goodman

've found it hard to get compliance with "feet here". 

I have picked kids up, from under the armpits and set them to the spot they can't seem to find.  The kids always think this is funny, and it gets a laugh.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Never appropriate regardless of age. Think about how angry that would make you as an adult if it were done to you.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

@seabass I have 1 pissed off grandmother/wife who says she will go down on the field if it is done to our grandson.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @ramoody

I have 1 pissed off grandmother/wife who says she will go down on the field if it is done to our grandson.

Good!

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: