Notifications

Coaching Philosophy  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 18, 2020 9:57 am  

Okay, so I thought about this over the weekend...really I did...and I have read through some of the answers...I liked Gumby's answer 🙂 every email I send starts with "Good Morning (or whatever time of day it is) Bulldog Family"...And I have had 3 different Bulldog Families with 3 different groups of boys...and they really are families, and not just the boys, by the time we are through (11/12 year old season) they are a family, some take longer to get there than others, but they all get there...

In my philosophy, the X's and O's of it don't matter...things we will be, regardless of the schemes:

1. Physical

2. Aggressive

We will coach the roster from the bottom to the top...someone mentioned not having MPP players...our league, all the boys must play somewhere the entire game...so we find what each boy can do...some can do more than others, and then let them do it, and keep teaching them more stuff to do...and pretty soon, they can do a lot...

There are no sacred cows...everyone is subject to being fired if they do not do their job...my second group of boys, I fired my QB one practice because he would not do his job...it got everyone's attention...including the QB's 🙂 When I was coaching my son, I benched him one game, for as long as the rules allowed at any rate, because he cost us penalty yardage in a couple of critical situations.

Love them...one of the cliches you hear if you coach long enough "they don't care how much you know until they know how much you care"...they will do anything they can for you if they know you love them.

I could keep typing...but I know you all will get bored and stop reading 😛

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 18, 2020 10:36 am  
Posted by: @coyote

What are your coaching philosophy & beliefs regarding football?

--Broad.  Really broad...

Not really looking at strategies / tactics / game-practice plans, but general approach to coaching.

--To coaching what?  Fundamentals? Drills? Schemes? Building relationships with staff? With parents? With players?

--I believe it's important to start with a Mission Statement.  And your Mission Statement can be anything.  I required my ACs to present me with their personal mission statement before the season.  It would tell me what's important to them and what they wanted to accomplish.  I wasn't looking for anything broad, general or vague.  I didn't want anything that sounded grandiose or corporate.  But whatever they submitted to me, we took a look at after season's end to see if they accomplished what they'd set out to do.  And if they did or did not, why?  And I'd ask them for another new mission statement at the beginning of the next season. And it could stay the same, or change completely.  It was up to them.  But I found that it made them focus on what they wanted to accomplish and to figure out a way to make it happen.

--Dave

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 18, 2020 10:42 am  

A coach - above all else - is a teacher.   We can’t teach what we don’t know. 

Too many think they can walk off the street and be a coach because they were players. That’s like thinking you can run a restaurant, because you have fixed a meal before. Good coaches spend as much time learning how to teach/coach as they can. Materials are readily available, national clinics are too.  As coaches we must keep learning and developing ourselves. If we’re not willing to develop as coaches we’re not being fair to the kids.  

Philosophy:  Find what the kid does best, and let him do it, a lot!    Kids bring different abilities to the game, find what they do well and help them succeed.   It’s the Jimmys and the Joes, not the X’s and the O’s. In other words, we play to their strengths, not their weaknesses.        Coach ‘em UP!

Goal: To play with excellent execution and technique.  It’s not the scheme, it’s not the play, it’s the execution.  Meaning execution within the capacity of 8 & 9 year olds.    Coach ‘em UP!!

Skills and Drills:   Teach them how to win the one-on-ones against kids who are next level better.  Teach weaker kid how to beat the average kid; the average kid to beat the good kid; the good kids how to beat the great kid.   Everyone loves coaching the great ones, but the great ones will be great anyway, it’s what the rest of the kids can do that makes the difference between good & great teams. Daily Skills and Drills will improve our players’ fundamentals.    Coach ‘em UP!!!

Belief:  Proper form and technique allows a less talented kid to succeed against better talent.   This requires we teach fundamentals.  Having coached different teams at different levels, experience says there is nothing more important than to teach the fundamentals. If the kids can’t perform the fundamentals and techniques correctly, they can’t function within any offensive or defensive scheme we might try to install.   Coach ‘em UP!!!!

With these 4 ideas in mind, our Offense & Defense is kid-friendly designed to allow a wide range of talents and abilities to flourish against better athletes.    Coach ‘em UP!!!!!

Point of Emphasis:  Practice does not make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  We chase perfection hoping to catch excellence.   These are, after all, 8 & 9 year olds, perfection is a bit much, but excellence we can achieve.     Coach ‘em UP!!!!!!

Well that's about as good of a diatribe against lazy coaching as I have read in a long time.  It should be in a book, on a t-shirt or on a billboard.  Nice job with this, Coyote.  It's excellent.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 18, 2020 10:48 am  

we're doing a critical review of everything we do, seeking to upgrade everything... that includes taking a hard look at this as well. 

[We're also going over our strategy and tactics, assignment and alignment, forms and techniques, skills and drills....]

I did that every year as a header.  I invited coaches to watch us practice and give their input.  I talked to coaches at clinics to see what suggestions they had.  But the goal was to eliminate where we were weakest and improve that area the most (whether it be in drills, coaching, scheme, organizational infrastructure, relationships, etc.).  I looked to always add one new thing to the CAL Program.  Find out what's the worst and make it be first (in emphasis and strength).

--Dave

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by CoachDP

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 18, 2020 10:51 am  
Posted by: @mahonz
Posted by: @bob-goodman

My philosophy is that if you need a philosophy for football to coach it, you're thinking too hard!

LOL...Its good to follow some rules you set for yourself privately at least. 

^ Now that's funny. lol

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 18, 2020 11:14 am  

@coachdp Hi Dave 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
May 18, 2020 11:57 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Family

BTW....forgot to mention it....Jeannette wants us to consider coaching at AHS this Fall. She is tight with the AD and can make it happen. They are looking for help. 

Food for thought if there is a season. 

I guess the big question is besides Jeannette, who wants us there?  I guess I'm a lot more open to it than I was a year ago, which is to say, I wasn't.  I'd heard the HC is leaving. Is that what's driving this?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 18, 2020 12:21 pm  

Family

BTW....forgot to mention it....Jeannette wants us to consider coaching at AHS this Fall. She is tight with the AD and can make it happen. They are looking for help. 

I guess the big question is besides Jeannette, who wants us there?  I guess I'm a lot more open to it than I was a year ago, which is to say, I wasn't.  I'd heard the HC is leaving. Is that what's driving this?

No clue...but I can think of 4 or 5 players that want us there...and one serious football mom. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
May 18, 2020 12:26 pm  

The last 2 seasons have been very educational for me.  

1) Slowly coming to the realization that we are a very bad football team.

2) Eventually coming to the realization that we (well, at least 3 of us) have done all we can as coaches to try and change that.

3) Nearly all of our players still love being on this team and at least one more than half of the parents, despite us being a very bad football team.

So that's what "family" means as a philosophy. Being on our team is a "big deal", which is a very hard sell after going 1-7 and getting blown out in half of your games, being on the losing end of some programs' first win ever, etc. It's not something you can fake. The challenge is creating a product that you don't have to "sell". It just is and eventually, kids want to be a part of it.

Saturday, I got a text from a former player asking me if I was going to "John's food truck". After some back and forth, I figured out that "John" is a guy who coached Spring football with us. So I drove halfway to Wyoming to meet up with some families and enjoy some social distance socializing. 5 of our former Spring players were there along with their families. 3 of them never played Fall with us, including the kid who texted me. This kid started Varsity as a Sophomore last Fall on a team who lost 14-7 in the semi finals in the highest division in our state. Instead of his HS football jersey, he was wearing a green Pitbulls jersey from our Spring youth program and green and white wristbands honoring Mahonz' late son. Creating that kind of bond is our philosophy. If we can win some football games along the way . . . cool. If not . . . keep trying to get better.

If your team is a family and you are 0-8, the 0-8 doesn't matter. If your team isn't a family and you are 8-0, the 8-0 doesn't matter. I'm not saying you should be in any way content with being less than 8-0, but you can only control what you can control. As much time as Mahonz and I spend analyzing our team, I'd say we've got a handle on what we can control and what we can't.

As it stands, I'll just be grateful if I get to coach this Fall. I'll be grateful if the world is in a place where it's safe to play football, whenever that happens to be.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote and mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 18, 2020 1:03 pm  

The last 2 seasons have been very educational for me.  

1) Slowly coming to the realization that we are a very bad football team.

2) Eventually coming to the realization that we (well, at least 3 of us) have done all we can as coaches to try and change that.

3) Nearly all of our players still love being on this team and at least one more than half of the parents, despite us being a very bad football team.

So that's what "family" means as a philosophy. Being on our team is a "big deal", which is a very hard sell after going 1-7 and getting blown out in half of your games, being on the losing end of some programs' first win ever, etc. It's not something you can fake. The challenge is creating a product that you don't have to "sell". It just is and eventually, kids want to be a part of it.

Saturday, I got a text from a former player asking me if I was going to "John's food truck". After some back and forth, I figured out that "John" is a guy who coached Spring football with us. So I drove halfway to Wyoming to meet up with some families and enjoy some social distance socializing. 5 of our former Spring players were there along with their families. 3 of them never played Fall with us, including the kid who texted me. This kid started Varsity as a Sophomore last Fall on a team who lost 14-7 in the semi finals in the highest division in our state. Instead of his HS football jersey, he was wearing a green Pitbulls jersey from our Spring youth program and green and white wristbands honoring Mahonz' late son. Creating that kind of bond is our philosophy. If we can win some football games along the way . . . cool. If not . . . keep trying to get better.

If your team is a family and you are 0-8, the 0-8 doesn't matter. If your team isn't a family and you are 8-0, the 8-0 doesn't matter. I'm not saying you should be in any way content with being less than 8-0, but you can only control what you can control. As much time as Mahonz and I spend analyzing our team, I'd say we've got a handle on what we can control and what we can't.

As it stands, I'll just be grateful if I get to coach this Fall. I'll be grateful if the world is in a place where it's safe to play football, whenever that happens to be.

Your buddy Kevin called me on Saturday. Poof is climbing the walls and can hardly wait for August 1st. 😎 

( Kevin is the one parent that gives Lar a headache )

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 18, 2020 1:06 pm  

Family

Crap....I just realized that means Cassey would be back in my life. 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 18, 2020 3:47 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

But the goal was to eliminate where we were weakest and improve that area the most (whether it be in drills, coaching, scheme, organizational infrastructure, relationships, etc.).

The old Johnny Mercer song: _Ac-centu-tchu-ate the Positive_ ...   great approach to football.... and life.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 18, 2020 8:15 pm  
 Nice job with this, Coyote.  It's excellent.

--Dave

Thanx coach.    Like I said, little to nothing original.   Kinda evolved over the years, continues to evolve.  

Plagiarism is when you steal from one source; research is when you steal from a lot of sources.    We’ve researched this.  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: