Coaching Styles Mak...

Notifications
Clear all

Coaching Styles Make a Difference

Page 5 / 5

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I do tell the kids at the beginning that although we'll try to make things fun in practice, the prepar'n won't always be fun, and that football shares that characteristic with a lot of activities where the enjoyment is mostly in the final product and on the way to that there's a lot of work.

Sometimes you can hold out as potential reward some free play or other activity if everybody concentrates and you finish early.  The value of that seems to diminish as the kids get older.

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

Winning is FUN  😉

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Winning is FUN  😉

Be very careful with that statement.  I have seen sorrow in Winning.  I have heard the anguish of those on the sidelines.  I have heard it time and again..."All I wanted to do was contribute on the field"  Be very, very, mindful of those who toil in the background.  Make sure they get that opportunity.

jmho  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

I agree completely.  We play everyone equally on both sides of the ball.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold
Topic starter  

Be very careful with that statement.  I have seen sorrow in Winning.  I have heard the anguish of those on the sidelines.  I have heard it time and again..."All I wanted to do was contribute on the field"  Be very, very, mindful of those who toil in the background.  Make sure they get that opportunity.

jmho  😉

Even kids that play can be in a situation where they don't have fun on a team that is winning.  The best player on my son's baseball team this spring almost didn't play this year according to his parents because last fall he was on a team with a coach that he just didn't have fun......even though they won the league championship.

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

My middle son was on a baseball team that won almost all its games and he had fun.  He was one of the best players on the team.  He didn't play the next year because he wanted to lift weights for football and he said baseball just wasn't his favorite sport.  My point - he had a blast and had fun and still didn't continue with the sport.  You just never know with young kids.  Over half of the kids my oldest son played with in middle school never played varsity football.  Some of those young men were superb athletes.  Girls, alcohol, other sports, jobs, moving, laziness, friends, drugs, injury..............................

I do agree with the OP's point though.  Coaching style does make a difference and his example of the base running versus the laps was great evidence to his point.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

My middle son was on a baseball team that won almost all its games and he had fun.  He was one of the best players on the team.  He didn't play the next year because he wanted to lift weights for football and he said baseball just wasn't his favorite sport.  My point - he had a blast and had fun and still didn't continue with the sport.  You just never know with young kids.  Over half of the kids my oldest son played with in middle school never played varsity football.  Some of those young men were superb athletes.  Girls, alcohol, other sports, jobs, moving, laziness, friends, drugs, injury..............................

I do agree with the OP's point though.  Coaching style does make a difference and his example of the base running versus the laps was great evidence to his point.

I think that's usually due to the other kids on the team. I stopped doing a few things in high school because I either didn't like the other kids. Not that I got into fights or anything with them. I just didn't enjoy their company and my real friends were doing other things.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: