Notifications
Clear all

Combining Coaching Staffs

Page 1 / 4

CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
Topic starter  

It looks like our coaching staff might combine with 2 or 3 coaches from another staff that used to coach for a different organization in our area. I know most of the coaches through the grapevine and they’re all solid coaches. We’re supposed to meet up with them over beers to discuss the possibility of combining forces and I was just looking for any advice anyone might have who has gone through a transition like this before. I’d imagine there will be some discussion as far as Offensive/Defensive scheme, Coordinator responsibilities and such. I think it would be good to get these guys on the staff in order to improve the overall strength of our coaching staff. But I’m not looking to give up the farm in order to get them here either. The guys that are looking to come over have been play callers on both sides of the ball, and I highly doubt they’re going to want to come over and just be a position coaches. Thoughts, advice?

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Its more headache then it's worth. If there's deals involving kids it's even worse.  

This is just my experience.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bucksweep58

Its more headache then it's worth. If there's deals involving kids it's even worse.  

This is just my experience.

^ This.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachsteel

The guys that are looking to come over have been play callers on both sides of the ball, and I highly doubt they’re going to want to come over and just be a position coaches.

This says it all.  "Just" be a position coach.  "Have been play callers" 🙄 

It's youth ball.  You should be able to run the whole thing successfully with yourself and and a few dads who'll follow your lead.  Quality coaches want to come aboard?  Fine.  As long as they're willing to follow our lead of what we do.  They are rarer than hen's teeth, though.  Heck, most dads who've never coached will give you that "I know the game" malarky.   If you want to do it and can make it work, then great, have at it.  I've never felt a need to "improve" my coaching staff.  I always felt a great need to "improve" myself.  And if these outside coaches have kids that are players, well....these things usually don't end well.  And usually these types of deals are made so the two staffs/teams don't have to play against each other.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

When I was a head coach, I was also a POSITION COACH.  When I was an Offensive Coordinator, I was also a POSITION COACH.  Now I am only a position coach (OL & RB), and know that our offensive success is far more dependent on me making sure my position players are good at what they do, than me simply calling plays.  And that if I were the OC, I'd also better be responsible for a particular offensive group.

What is a Coordinator on your staff responsible for, Coach Steel?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

It looks like our coaching staff might combine with 2 or 3 coaches from another staff that used to coach for a different organization in our area. I know most of the coaches through the grapevine and they’re all solid coaches. We’re supposed to meet up with them over beers to discuss the possibility of combining forces and I was just looking for any advice anyone might have who has gone through a transition like this before. I’d imagine there will be some discussion as far as Offensive/Defensive scheme, Coordinator responsibilities and such. I think it would be good to get these guys on the staff in order to improve the overall strength of our coaching staff. But I’m not looking to give up the farm in order to get them here either. The guys that are looking to come over have been play callers on both sides of the ball, and I highly doubt they’re going to want to come over and just be a position coaches. Thoughts, advice?

Is this because of declining enrollment and dissolution (or reduction in number of teams) of the other organization?  Or are they just more interested in yours over where they've been?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I have been fired once in 35 years as a volunteer Coach. 

This was after we combined Staffs.

Coaches have egos and if there are any players combining as Zach suggests....run away from this...fast. There are times when 3 heads are better than 6, for example. Add a sprinkle of players in....disaster. This just might be one of these situations. 

Tread lightly. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper

All I can say is don't do it. My son and I just did it this past year. Starts off good , I promise it won't end good. But that's my opinion!! 

If you do deside to do to do it, go over every detail you can think of .  Try to get it ironed out WHO is going to do what right down to who is bring water every practice. If you don't this will be a wasted season, and even then it's going to be difficult to say the least. 

Good luck! 

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

The guys that are looking to come over have been play callers on both sides of the ball, and I highly doubt they’re going to want to come over and just be a position coaches.

This is precisely why I wouldn't do it. You'll run into all sorts of conflicts about everything like practice times, starting positions, and play calls. And if you deviate from what another head coach did in the past, you'll hear about it over and over again.

The biggest problem you'll run into is that very few coaches have the right mindset to be "just an assistant" -- they all want absolute control over something. That almost always leads to conflict, which is why I coached the second half of one season with just one assistant!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

We had a similar situation heading into this past season. Unfortunately the season didn't happen, but I wanted nothing to do with having coaches from another team appointed to my staff. As several coaches have hinted at, this is youth football. Everyone is a "position coach" on my staff or they aren't on my staff. Only you as the HC should be deciding what you do and how it gets done. The more "quality" coaches you have, the more you risk having your vision compromised. Give me 4 dads that want to learn what we do. I couldn't care less if you even know what a football is. The less you "know" the better. This isn't rocket science.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

@terrypjohnson

This is why I will chose dads that want to be a part of what we do. Not to say that they don't know football, just saying they are more likely to be a part of what we do rather than force feeding me what it is they do

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

These days, I am just happy when I get an assistant.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

I couldn't agree more with the comments on here.  

Even if you meet up prior to the season and think you've ironed everything out, you probably haven't. 

One of my best friends was hired a few years ago as a head varsity high school coach.  He asked me to be the OC.   We met in his classroom to discuss it.

He knew I knew the Air Raid and that's what he wanted.  He wanted up tempo,  I told him that's great but either we platoon or I use 10 skill guys on offense otherwise going uptempo would be a detriment.  He wouldn't platoon but agreed to using 10 skill guys on offense.

I resigned about a week into the summer.  Anytime I subbed during passing league he'd sub the starters back in on the next play.  He started moving receivers into positions they hadn't practiced right before passing league games (7 on 7).

I was miserable driving to practice  everyday.

He had 9 players going both ways and wanted to run a no huddle offense.  

I couldn't take it and got the hell out of there before the actual season even started.  They went 1-9 and were shutout 7 times.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Greetings Coaches,

When I was coaching H.S. ball (16 yrs), I bounced around a bit from school to school (5), and once was on staff during the transition from one H.C. to a new one. 

In that transition year, as HC of the wrestling team, I was one of the few hold overs from the previous staff, this is when I met my true mentor in coaching, one of the things he said to each of us in our one-on-one interviews was... "Our offense is extremely adaptable, but first master the offense before you try to add to it."  As the seasons went on, he listened to our ideas and some he used, some he didn't.  But he did listen.  And there was also never a moment in which anyone had any doubt as to who had the final say so, and that his say so was final.   [We brought that school its 1st winning season in 17 yrs].

In my previous stops, either the HC was too rigid, never listened to the staff, or too weak, got run over and/or ignored.    

The only way I can see a blended staff work, is everyone is on the same page, and the guy at the top has control, and everyone is good with that...   its good to get input, but someone has to have the final say, and when its said, everyone has to get on board and fully commit to it.  If the new guys are not willing to invest a season or two in learning to master what is currently in place, it won't work.   Input is great, but best withheld - unless we're talking minor tweaks -  until after the established system is mastered. 

Just my $0.02 worth. 

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote

"Our offense is extremely adaptable, but first master the offense before you try to add to it." 

Yeah, but you know that guys don't want to have to learn schemes or how to coach positions; it's all about who get to call the plays. 😏 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: