RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 12, 2021 12:47 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

it's all about who get to call the plays.

If they don't want to learn, we don't bring them in.  But for most folk, I think that's about right.   My HC and I often switch who is calling the plays.   The 'change up pitch' kinda thing.  But also, since we've yet to go a complete season without one of us missing a game, its good to have two experienced play callers.   My HC is a more creative play caller than I am, and takes more risks.  I tend to be more methodical.  He's fine if he calls both sides of the ball, one side, or turns the play calling over on both sides of the ball.  But, then, we do set a game plan for every opponent, and he has final say on the game-plan, and he reserves the right to change it during the game.

FWIW, when we first got together he was talking about our 'Plan B.'  I mentioned that I heard Lou Holtz in a clinic say that he used to always ahve a plan B.  Then one of his players asked, 'if plan B is so good, why isn't plan A?'  🤣    

I suppose it goes to the old saying, its amazing how much can be accomplished if we don't worry about who gets the credit.  

FWIW I always try to emphasize the great work done by our other coaches.   Our 2018 team went 11-0, out-scored our opponents 344 to 6.  (the only score we gave up was in a 8-6 win over another league's champion in a cross over challenge)...  Both our H.C. and I went out of our way to loudly & publicly praise the work done my our D.C.   -  who had the audacity to move to the next age group when his kid moved up.   <sigh>. 😀 

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 12, 2021 1:46 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

If they don't want to learn, we don't bring them in.

--I get it.  But most of these yahoos don't even think they need to "learn" because they "already know the game."  I'm reminded by how often I see these "coaches" in Facebook groups touting their newly invented playbook; However their playbook has no new, original plays, no blocking scheme and just points out where the ball-carrier goes.  All the while, they give original nomenclature to their play call and their "system."  And these are EXPERIENCED coaches. lol. Perhaps not very good ones, but experienced ones, nonetheless.

--Dave

This post was modified 1 week ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 12, 2021 2:48 pm  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

The biggest problem you'll run into is that very few coaches have the right mindset to be "just an assistant" -- they all want absolute control over something. 

Interesting. I was going to approach Mahonz about being a "Quality Control" coach. Floating amongst all positions to fix all those "little things" that turn into "big things". This, after years of being DC and/or O-line coach. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 12, 2021 4:07 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Interesting. I was going to approach Mahonz about being a "Quality Control" coach. Floating amongst all positions to fix all those "little things" that turn into "big things". This, after years of being DC and/or O-line coach. 

I think when you have knowledge-based experience (as opposed to TV-based experience), it's easier to let go of the reigns and be a troubleshooter, as opposed to being a "play-caller."  In my 16 years as a header and my 5 years as an OC, I never once thought of myself as a "play caller."  My mindset was to teach the offensive fundamentals that make the play work.  In this Madden-filled milieu, I hear so much harping on the "play call" and about which coach is a good "play caller."  The success of an offensive play lies in the execution of the play.  Doesn't matter what play you call if you can't block it correctly, or understand what makes the play a successful play.

--Dave

This post was modified 1 week ago by CoachDP

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 12, 2021 4:50 pm  

The biggest problem you'll run into is that very few coaches have the right mindset to be "just an assistant" -- they all want absolute control over something. 

Interesting. Since we are losing Marcos I was going to ask you to be the Head Coach so I can run the Defense and chillax. 👍 Im pretty much done with babysitting Parents....and Refs...and Field Monitors...and mouthpieces...and jerseys...and COVID...and film...and banquets...and Board meetings...and and and. Matter for fact Im thinking Im a few steps away from moving to Costa Rica so that my biggest challenge is rubbing sticks together on some beach to make fire. You are welcome to join me. 😎 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 12, 2021 4:56 pm  

I think when you have knowledge-based experience (as opposed to TV-based experience), it's easier to let go of the reigns and be a troubleshooter, as opposed to being a "play-caller."  In my 16 years as a header and my 5 years as an OC, I never once thought of myself as a "play caller."  My mindset was to teach the offensive fundamentals that make the play work.  In this Madden-filled milieu, I hear so much harping on the "play call" and about which coach is a good "play caller."  The success of an offensive play lies in the execution of the play.  Doesn't matter what play you call if you can't block it correctly, or understand what makes the play a successful play.

--Dave

Whoa whoa whoa....ok I cant resist. The DW and play caller used in the same sentence is an oxymoron. You only run THREE PLAYS !!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Of course Im kidding. Maybe. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 12, 2021 5:01 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

Whoa whoa whoa....ok I cant resist. The DW and play caller used in the same sentence is an oxymoron. You only run THREE PLAYS !!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, if you knew anything then you'd know there's really only two Double Wing plays: Wedge and Power. 😉 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
January 12, 2021 5:44 pm  

I was in this situation about 6 years ago. I was the HC of a 7th/8th grade team and had 2 AC's that joined another HC and his AC. I assumed that the other guy would want to continue on as the HC and I would be an assistant/coordinator. I had half a team and he had half a team but we were joining his organization that had several teams at various divisions. I came into the deal open minded and willing to assume whatever role necessary in order to assure our kid's would have a season.

Long story short, and several meetings later, he asked me to take over the role of HC. He took over the offensive responsibilities, we turned over the DC responsibilities to one of my AC's and we split up the positional responsibilities. He became one of my best friends and still is to this day.

We won a bunch of football games and built some great relationships with players and parents. The key to the arrangement was that neither one of us had an ego problem and we both recognized the unique abilities of the other person. He had far more football coaching experience and general football knowledge. He has a brilliant offensive/defensive mind. He was also aware of his own shortcomings but saw those skills in me AND was able to articulate those to me. In the end, we learned a lot from each other and it was a perfect fit.

I would kill to have him back on my staff today!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 12, 2021 11:37 pm  

Interesting. Since we are losing Marcos I was going to ask you to be the Head Coach so I can run the Defense and chillax. 

HC . . . Quality Control Coach . . . I don't really see a difference. Yeah, I can do that. 

If you move to Costa, I'll be there at least once a year.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 13, 2021 10:52 am  

Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, if you knew anything then you'd know there's really only two Double Wing plays: Wedge and Power. 😉 

--Dave

LOL!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 13, 2021 10:55 am  

I'd add one thing to that: having the play.  I too don't put so much stress on calling the play; you can't improve much on it once you eliminate doing something really stupid.  But I do want to fill the toolbox with the appropriate tools and keep them sharp and lubricated.

I'd still like to know from Coach Steel how the possibility of combining staffs came up in the original question.

This post was modified 7 days ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 13, 2021 11:40 am  
Posted by: @coyote

But most of these yahoos don't even think they need to "learn" because they "already know the game."

Maybe I told this story before...  My memory lapses seem more frequent lately...  My 3rd season, our DC had played for Duffy Daugherty at Mi. State (also the Dolphins and Vikings) - we're at the old Toyota Duffy and Bud Wilkinson _Coach of the Year_ clinic and we're introduced to Duffy and Bud.  Next thing I know, we're invited to dinner with D & B.   Well, every napkin got X & O'd and Duffy started in on the table cloth (said he'd buy it)...  I;m sitting there soaking it all in, when Duffy looks at me asks what I thought.   I said I hadn't been coaching long enough to have an opinion.   Bud looks at me and says, "You'll do.  Takes about 5 yrs to just figure out what the questions are, let alone the answers.

That has stuck with me through the yrs.  

About 5 yrs later, different H.C. & staff (I was the only hold over) we're getting ready to take on a powerhouse team... maybe 2 of our kids could have started for them, maybe.   In the midst of our staff discussions a 1st yr assist - 5 yrs removed from his H.School days, no college  ball - offers a an idea, (wasn't a bad one except against this Offense - split back veer w/ emphasis on the outside veer, two gifted RBS - think Dickerson and James of SMU's pony express and option QB who better than either one) but he adds, "I know football..."  Back in the early '90's I wasn't nearly as diplomatic as I am now, and started to say something, I was offended for our HC who had over 25 yrs as a HC by then, but the HC cut me off - and he was gracious and turned it into a teaching moment.   To this day, when folk say things along the lines of "I know football..." Red flags go up.  

FWIW

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
January 13, 2021 4:56 pm  

@coyote

"I know football"???? What does that even mean? Is that an all encompassing statement meaning I'm supposed to believe a person knows everything there is to know about the sport? How come no coach ever says " I understand how the mind of a child works"??? That would at least grab my attention

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 13, 2021 9:58 pm  
Posted by: @rpatric

"I know football"???? What does that even mean? 

It means, "You don't have to tell me anything because I already know it."

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
January 14, 2021 9:44 am  

@coachdp

It's like nails on a chalkboard. I've been around this game since a very young age and I learn something every day. I can confidently say, I don't know football

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: