Clear all

creating and sharing playbooks

Page 1 / 2

td3201
(@td3201)
Copper
Topic starter  

Creating
When I'm drawing up new plays at home, I use a whiteboard. Easy to correct, etc. But do any of you use an online app to save them for potentially creating a playbook later? A couple of systems I've seen are Hudl and footballplaybookdesigner.com.

• Do you use them?
  • Why?
  • Which do you prefer?
  • Are there other tools you use for this (e.g. Viso, MS Word, etc.)?

Sharing

• Do you find sharing an actual playbook with players helpful vs. just learning/remembering in practice?
  • How about other coaches?

The context of my questions is youth 4th-8th grade.

Thanks!
TD

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Creating

• Do you use them?

--No.

• Why?

--If it's Hudl-based, why would I?  Also, they're not free.

• Which do you prefer?

--Something free.

--Yes, PowerPoint.  It's free.

Sharing

• Do you find sharing an actual playbook with players helpful vs. just learning/remembering in practice?

--I've never shared a playbook with a player.

--Rarely.  It's just not necessary.

--So is my answer.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

We use PowerPoints.

Offensively, our "Scheme PPT" focuses on:
- Formations, motions & tags
- Run schemes - 6 core blocking schemes & a couple tags
- Passing game - Protections and core concepts for each type of pass we use (quick game, fast screens, PAPs, etc.).

I don't have a PPT that shows every possible formation, motion & play combo - there are a bunch and it's just unnecessary. We're not going to run everything.

What I do provide along with the PPT is an install schedule so ACs can see the progression and how our concepts build off of one another (in mini series) regardless of what formation, motion, tag we're using.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Haven't used a playbook for 4 years.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have a playbook, but it's for me, not players.  I use it as a catalog to "know what we run."  If I get an idea to add a variation, it goes in that playbook.  But it's primarily a catalog of what we run and what's in our system.  I don't teach from it.  When I went to CHS as the Varsity OC, I did present it at a team meeting in a PowerPoint presentation just to give them an idea of how versatile and elaborate our system was.

The long and the short of it is that you'll use playbooks, if you want to.  But what does it give you?  If you do it, know the reason you're doing it.  My question is, why are you considering it? 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Creating
When I'm drawing up new plays at home, I use a whiteboard. Easy to correct, etc. But do any of you use an online app to save them for potentially creating a playbook later? A couple of systems I've seen are Hudl and footballplaybookdesigner.com.

• Do you use them?
  • Why?
  • Which do you prefer?

These days I use LibreOffice.  Why go thru an online tool when you can use a local one at no charge & doesn't need an Internet cx?

Sharing

I have shared with other coaches.  If I need to, I convert to PDF for distribution.  My HC in 2015 IIRC e-mailed them to families.  For putting online to embed here, I convert the diagrams to GIF, JPEG, or PNG.

ReplyQuote
CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

I use photoshop - not because it's a great program for diagramming plays, but because I know the program well and that makes the workflow super fast.  I can create and archive a new play in under a minute.  I like that it's robust,  layer based, not limited to straight lines, and I can move, hide, add, scale, and recolor everything.  I have a hundred different routes loaded in the PSD - it takes me seconds to what I want and drag them into place.  It's also integrated with other Adobe applications, and so if I want to, say, make a playcard or script for a game or practice, I can just drag and drop the files into a layout.  Done.  And if I change a play, it automatically updates every place that play is used.  Convenient.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

For the first few years, we handed out playbooks.  After noticing that many were rolled up and left on the ground after the practice where they were handed out, I stopped.  No use wasting paper!  I did keep mine for reference as Dave points out. 

This past season it was suggested that I hand the kids play books again.  I refused.  What we did do was get into a Classroom and Diagram plays.  I drew the template and then had the kids come up and finish the drawing.  Why?  I know the play, if they can complete the drawing then execution of same is on them!  If they cant complete it, what better way to illustrate (Teach)?  Some might say on the field.  However, if they cant understand the play stagnant how on earth will they understand it in Chaos? 

Do I really care if the back side OL misses their key?  No and YES!  If the back side TE or OT whiffs his block, and they will, it matters most that he knows he whiffed.  This is especially true, in a Double Wing if that OT or TE is supposed to cut off backside penetration! 

For most Offenses there are already a ton of Play Books available. so Sharing things is only good if you do as they do.  For many of us most of what is involved in those 100 plus page playbooks, no matter how well written and diagrammed, is not applicable or doable for us.  Case in Point I have Tom Osbourne's 1996 Nebraska Play Book.  There is an immense amount of information including number of times each play was run and the results of same.  Fact, I used a total of 6 plays from that volume, when I ran the I Formation.  Additionally, that same I Formation play book contained a lot of Single Back material.

So to your question, I dont have time to reinvent the wheel.  I do have time to research and glean material from those volumes of information that might be helpful for my 11-12 year olds.  But then again it's on us coaches to feed them enough executable material and go (Build) from there. 

So says the guy who, many years ago, started off with 40 plays (Every Variant of same) and quickly learned that 40 plays was Great!  But, only if you can execute, not merely run, them!  Tossed play book and ran what we did well!  🙂

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

Do I really care if the back side OL misses their key?  No and YES!  If the back side TE or OT whiffs his block, and they will, it matters most that he knows he whiffed. 

This is key to teaching, that when mistakes are made, the players know they made one and what the correction should be.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Bucs
 Bucs
(@natetot10)
Lurker

I have created playbooks on excel, powerpoint, and hudl.  I give copies to all of the guys that I coach with, and I know that no one reads them or looks at them (except for the initial coaches meeting when I give them out).  So, I tried an app this past season from my iphone called goarmyedge.  Its actually a recruiting tool from the US Army.  This app is free and its great for creating a playbook, animating plays, and sharing the playbook.  I use this app all the time.  I am able to draw up ideas and share them with all of the guys I coach with instantly.  They can also draw up ideas and instantly share them.  There is a whiteboard tool, and all sorts of stuff with it.  It is surprisingly good for a free app.  I shared this with a few players also and you can animate the play to make it look like a video game (madden), so for electronic youth.... it clicks.  Plus you can tell if people are looking at it, when you invite them to view your playbook.  I plan on using it again this season, its worth investigating. 

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold

We used play maker pro and cut and pasted into word to create our manuals.  Never handed out to players, but gave to coaches so we could be on the same page.  33% of the time we are coaching coaches and different people learn differently.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

https://coachmeapps.com/

It's free and you can build your playbook on there.  It's easy to use.  Ive found it very useful.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

After some consternation I have determined to reestablish a "Play Book" of sorts.  It is not intended for distribution to the players, rather to the staff I may have for the upcoming season.  I already know that my only assistant (Co-Coach) from last season, will not return next year.  As such, I feel it necessary to put pencil to Grid Paper and lay it all out.  Next up Recruit Coaches.  That being said, just because the plays are on paper it doesnt mean that it will be part of our repertoire.  I am a firm believer in establishing 6 plays we run extremely well and developing more from those. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

I use Hudl for our playbook. In addition, I post video clips of the technique that is discussed. Anyone on our list can view the pages.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

I personally like to use coachmeapps.com, simple, savable, printable, sharable and free.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: