Page 2 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 19, 2019 6:35 pm  

Dang it, Coach. You always make me articulate my most shakily held positions.

It's what I do.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 20, 2019 6:28 am  

Dang it, Coach. You always make me articulate my most shakily held positions.

Varsity just seems to be different in that in trying to win, you want the best players at each position. (That's not to say that ONLY those players are in the game.) If there are three centers and one is clearly better than the others in whatever way matters to your offense, he should get the majority of snaps in a varsity game. However, provided centers 2 and 3 are putting in the same effort, they should be splitting time in JV games in order to both get better and possibly challenge #1. As #2 and #3 get better/stronger/whatever, then there can be subbing in more varsity games and they make one another better.

What I have seen is #1 gets locked in place regardless, #2 gets the vast majority of snaps in JV games (80% or more) and #3 is told to "do better". I don't know the thought process, but what happens is the #1s start to not work as hard, #2s are told "next year for sure" and the #3s quit.

Here is what I have witnessed and heard.  Unless you absolutely include every player in some way shape and form they will abandon the endeavor.

"I didnt sign up to hold a helmet on the sideline Friday Night"
"I'm tired of being the Tackling Dummy for the rest of them"
"We were up by 40 plus in the 3rd and waited until 2:00 left in the game to put me in to watch us take a knee 3 times."

It is very difficult to Juggle the Expectation to Win at the Varsity level and be able to reward all the players with meaningful playing time on Friday.  As such, sometimes it is necessary to remind them (Parents Included) that, until recently,  they are getting tons of snaps in legit situations.  Especially those on smaller school Rosters.

Freshmen get their game.  Some Play up on JV
Spohs get JV Snaps, Some Dress for Varsity
Juniors get some Snaps at JV and Varsity.

I do question Scout O and D situations.  I often wonder why some Coach is hollering at the Scout guy for Blowing up the play rather than the "Starters" for Screwing it up?  If they aren't being seeded by competition for the spot then do you really have your best 11 out there?  I really do like Dave Potters assessment "If you want in, then get in".  Drill that down further week in and week out.  That keeps your top performers at the front of the line.  Not to mention the fact that it puts the onus on the players to show what they got every time through. 

Thats one of the hard lessons in life... Learning that your best might not be good enough to beat that guy.  At the same time look how far you pushed yourself to make the attempt!!  WIN! WIN!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 20, 2019 7:19 am  

I really do like Dave Potters assessment "If you want in, then get in".  Drill that down further week in and week out.  That keeps your top performers at the front of the line.  Not to mention the fact that it puts the onus on the players to show what they got every time through.

For years, I'd watched flat practices where players (both starters and subs) just went through the motions of practice, without a sense of intensity or competition.  They had already accepted their "lot in life," be it starter or sub.  Subs couldn't be convinced to give more effort to take a starter's job because they didn't think they had a chance and starters were complacent because they felt there was no competition for their job.

Having motivated players on our team wasn't much of a problem for us for two reasons:  First, it was incredibly difficult to make the team because of our 3-Weeks of Hell pre-season.  Players had to be very motivated to get through everything we were asking them to do.  In addition, we'd often start a 2nd-String player on game day every week at a random position, claiming that the usual starter at that spot had gotten his job taken from him.  That always woke up players (and parents, as well. lol).  But once we started the IYWIGI (If You Want In, Get In) Approach, competition at practice ramped up considerably more.  We initially used it in drills and in scrimmaging.  Then we started using the approach to determine who would start on game day.  I have to give our late friend Michael some credit here.  He was intrigued with the idea and called me several times about ways to implement IYWIGI.  He not only thought that it wasn't crazy.  He endorsed it.  We've found that it keeps the competition at practice very sharp, week in and week out.  The starting 11 changes constantly.  The players use each practice as an opportunity.  It keeps the screwing around to a minimum because players are focused on their next "opportunity."  They want to know "What are we going to do next?" or "What's the next drill?"  We don't have to holler, "Don't be last" when coming back from a water break because players are hovering around the coaching staff waiting for whatever comes next.  They know it's their opportunity, because we don't have starters and subs, or 1s and 2s. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 20, 2019 7:40 am  

My favorite story about IYWIGI concerns our last game at EWHS in 2017.  We won the game 46-0, with one of our Wingbacks (a sophomore named Xavier) scoring 3 TDs, which was very difficult to do given the fact that we had 5 Wingbacks that all played with regularity.  Xavier scored his first TD early in the game and when we went out on offense for the next series, I rotated in a group of Freshman running backs.  Instead of coming out of the game, Xavier just moved himself from Right Wing to Left Wing and told the freshman Left Wing to go back out.  I was not aware and did not notice this.  When our Left Wing (Xavier) scored the next TD, I wondered how he had scored when he wasn't even supposed to be on the field.  ("How did Xavier score?  What's he doing in the game?") When the offense came off the field, he hid in a group and then went back out on kick-off team and then played defense, where he started at Corner.  So I forgot about his 2nd TD as I focused on calling the game.  As our score grew, I was by then sitting out most of the starters.  But Xavier managed to put himself back in the game and to be honest, I don't pay a great deal to our personnel when I'm calling the offense.  I feel like it's going to work, regardless of who's in there.  And I focus on our pullers and what the defense is doing.  By the 4th Quarter, we've emptied the bench and now I notice that Xavier is still in the backfield.  He scores a 3rd TD and I tell my AC to bring Xavier to me.  Xavier approaches me and I asked him, "What were you doing out there?  I thought I told so&so to go in."  "You did, Coach.  But I told him to go back out."  "You told him? Why?"  "Coach, you always said, 'If you want in, get in.'  I was just going by how you coach us to do things.  That's why I was able to score three touchdowns today!  Thanks Coach!"  I had to agree.  And he had an incredible game.  And he really wanted to play.  More than any other Back.  And that's why we coach it that way.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
December 20, 2019 5:17 pm  

It is very difficult to Juggle the Expectation to Win at the Varsity level and be able to reward all the players with meaningful playing time on Friday.  As such, sometimes it is necessary to remind them (Parents Included) that, until recently,  they are getting tons of snaps in legit situations. 

Back in my day...

The coach I played for in high school found a way to get every senior into every game somehow. They may not get significant playing time if the game was close, but they would be on the field in some capacity, whether it was their designated position or on special teams. He understood how important that was to the kids, even if it was only a couple of plays.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: