Do you prefer to pl...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you prefer to play youth football on an 80 by 40 yard field or 100 by 53?

Page 2 / 3

Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver

Our league for tiny mites puts the goal markers on the 10 yard line on each end of the field effectively making it 80 yards long but the width is still regular.  All other teams are full field.  I didn't notice much of a difference either way.  It was just a little longer run or a couple of more plays to score.  I will play on whatever the league says and make the best of it.

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I like the narrow field for the really little dudes.  Cuts down a little on everything being a race to the sideline.

Absolutely this.  A narrower field means a coach can't rely on "fastest guy to the outside" and the inside game then becomes more of an authentic concept.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Absolutely this.  A narrower field means a coach can't rely on "fastest guy to the outside" and the inside game then becomes more of an authentic concept.

--Dave

Now why on Earth is that important?  πŸ˜‰ 8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

--Dave

I agree with this.

But from what I gather, it's either the 80 by 40 or 100 by 53 for grades 1st through 8th.

Would you want the 7th and 8th graders playing on a small field as well?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Yes, anything that takes the 1-dimensionality of the wide field away from the game, I'm for.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

I like the narrow field for the really little dudes.  Cuts down a little on everything being a race to the sideline.

Actually, that's why I like the full-sized field for the little dudes.  Our defense (Clark's KB) is built to spill & kill without giving up interior integrity.  Those 'race to the sidelines' coaches usually don't have much of an inside run game when sweeps get stuffed. They don't seem to spend a lot of time on actually coaching their O-line.  OTOH, we've gained many yards on teams by purposely running into the teeth of their sweep defense on first down and then start killing them with off-tackle power, wedge and inside runs.

We're usually in the endzone before most teams have adjusted.  And, the DC's from that type of team usually adjusts to inside runs by finally stacking everybody to the inside- which, of course, now left them open to jets & sweeps.  The very thing they originally feared.    πŸ˜€

β€œIt is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Those 'race to the sidelines' coaches usually don't have much of an inside run game when sweeps get stuffed. They don't seem to spend a lot of time on actually coaching their O-line.

Agree.  And the wide field encourages their bad coaching, which is why I'm against it.  Nothing impressive about defeating a team whose coach is one-dimensional and ill-informed.  I'd rather face better coaching.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

I agree with this.

But from what I gather, it's either the 80 by 40 or 100 by 53 for grades 1st through 8th.

Up until a few years ago*, our league played all ages (K-8) on 80x40 yard fields.  At the younger ages, the game more closely resembles high school football. We don't ask little leaguers to play on a 60-90 diamond because it changes the game. Football should be the same IMO. If I were king, I'd make K-4 play on an even smaller field and 5-6 grade play on the 80x40.

at the 7-8 grade level on a 40x80 field,  the game is a much more "north-south" game that emphasizes physicality over speed and finesse.  As a SW coach, I'm OK with that.  If I were a jet guy, I would want the widest field possible.

To put things in perspective, I would also be OK with NCAA and the NFL going to a wider field.

On a 80x40, it's still football, just more physical (which in today's day and age might not be the best selling point to concerned moms).

-Craig

*The league caved three years ago because they were being negatively recruited against by other leagues using the "preparing them for the next level"  argument and numbers were being affected.

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

*The league caved three years ago because they were being negatively recruited against by other leagues using the "preparing them for the next level"  argument and numbers were being affected.

Ironic that they didn't understand that a smaller field actually "prepared them for the next level" better than a wider field.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Ironic that they didn't understand that a smaller field actually "prepared them for the next level" better than a wider field.

--Dave

Yeah, it's weird how they don't start kindergarten kids off with calculus.  I don't know how that learning-to-count stuff is supposed to get them ready.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Agree.  And the wide field encourages their bad coaching, which is why I'm against it.  Nothing impressive about defeating a team whose coach is one-dimensional and ill-informed.  I'd rather face better coaching.

--Dave

Yes but not always. A good jet team is really looking to run inside but they need you to respect the sweep for things to work properly. As an off tackle guy, I certainly want the defense to respect the outside or it makes the inside game more difficult. The size of the field won't change how good a coach is. Making the field narrower does more to making the offense one dimensional than keeping it regulation. Making it narrower basically takes away the outside game without coaching coming into the equation at all.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

--Dave

You're preaching to the choir brother.  But when even the HS Header (who is a well respected coach in our part of NJ) says in a public setting "I don't know how you guys play on that field", we were fighting an uphill battle.

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

Yeah, it's weird how they don't start kindergarten kids off with calculus.  I don't know how that learning-to-count stuff is supposed to get them ready.

Don't laugh, I have a daughter in 3rd grade now and they are absolutely force feeding higher level concepts to them, especially in math.  She still has trouble with multiplication and division, but she's being "taught" things in third grade that her brothers (who are currently in high school) didn't learn until 5th grade.

It's frustrating to say the least...

-Craig

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Don't laugh, I have a daughter in 3rd grade now and they are absolutely force feeding higher level concepts to them, especially in math.  She still has trouble with multiplication and division, but she's being "taught" things in third grade that her brothers (who are currently in high school) didn't learn until 5th grade.

It's frustrating to say the least...

-Craig

Wait, I thought we all agreed that kids can handle advanced concepts? That only applies to football? I am of the mind that kids can handle much more than the schools give them. School should be a struggle. Talking to my gf about how she is forced to teach she said she believes the kids could do much more if the schools got away from the bs teachers are forced to implement.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Wait, I thought we all agreed that kids can handle advanced concepts? That only applies to football? I am of the mind that kids can handle much more than the schools give them. School should be a struggle. Talking to my gf about how she is forced to teach she said she believes the kids could do much more if the schools got away from the bs teachers are forced to implement.

Hey, that's why I went with calculus instead of algebra. πŸ˜‰

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: