Notifications
Clear all

Do you teach your players Heads Up Rip tackle for all tackles

Page 1 / 2

RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I know many coaches teach the USAFootball  Heads Up base tackle.

My question is who here teaches the  same tackle (rip with double uppercuts) when teaching tackles which are not in front( angle, open field, etc)?

I'm trying to decide if I should teach the others tackles the older way(head up to the side, toes to toes, wrap the legs) vs the shoot/rip up with double uppercuts?

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Coach!

The most important thing is that you teach taking their head out of the equation as much as possible and emphasize using the shoulders. 

I te3ach a Quick foot buzz, Split the Crotch, STICK Appropriate shoulder in the numbers, head up and across the body (Bite the ball/ Sniff the pit). Wrap up and drive up and through the tackle.  HEAD UP WRAP UP! 

The Most Important thing, regardless, is KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!  🙂   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach!

The most important thing is that you teach taking their head out of the equation as much as possible and emphasize using the shoulders. 

I te3ach a Quick foot buzz, Split the Crotch, STICK Appropriate shoulder in the numbers, head up and across the body (Bite the ball/ Sniff the pit). Wrap up and drive up and through the tackle.  HEAD UP WRAP UP! 

The Most Important thing, regardless, is KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!  🙂 

Thanks Coach!

As an organization, they want us to teach the base tackle the USAFootball way. They will be monitoring us. I inquired about the angle and open field and they just want us to make sure they keep the head up.

USAFootball's  version still has the shoot/rip vs the wrap. 

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

You should shoot your arms up because it helps with hip roll and generates more power.

Stay low (head about ball high) and run your feet.  2 biggest mistakes kids/coaches make are they are too high and they stop on contact.

Don't dive or very rarely dive.  If your kids are diving all over the place trying to make a killer hit or whatever you have a bunch of kids on the ground and the runner going for big yards.

ReplyQuote
CoachGugs
(@coachgugs)
Bronze

We are starting the Heads up tackling because it keeps the feet moving and the rip causes a better hit without spearing and the less chance of hitting with head down.

Grassroots Football League. Montgomery county and Howard county All-star football.
http://www.thegyfl.com/football/

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

This is what we will be using..

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

That's exactly how I taught tackling last year and we had good results.  Very few missed tackles and 4 shutouts, plus one other game where the opponent scored just 6 points with a late 4th quarter TD in a blowout win for us.  We had zero injuries from tackles last year and really emphasized getting the head up and to the side.

ReplyQuote
hharris
(@hharris)
Bronze

Thanks for this link!

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Thanks for this link!

+1, this is great stuff. Even though I hate Pete Carrol.

We don't teach "wrap" at all anymore b/c as soon as you tell kids to wrap they start dropping their heads.  I like the shoot and rip from the Heads Up training, I de-emphasize the "buzz" though.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

+1, this is great stuff. Even though I hate Pete Carrol.

We don't teach "wrap" at all anymore b/c as soon as you tell kids to wrap they start dropping their heads.  I like the shoot and rip from the Heads Up training, I de-emphasize the "buzz" though.

That is one thing I didn't like about heads up.  It is too high unless you have your kids do a full squat before tackling and the RB will laugh and stiff arm you into the ground if you squat that low.  I am not saying it isn't a good way to teach kids to get their heads up.  I am saying it isn't as effective ESPECIALLY with smaller kids.

If you tell a smaller kid to buzz and shoot and rip upwards against a really big fullback there are going to be complications on the small kids part.  That is just reality.  Bull the neck and do your best to hit low (at the hips and thighs) and keep your head to the side.  There will be no chance of head to head contact.  Teach a kid to buzz and rip upward and there is definately a chance at head to head contact.  Its just a new "fad" to show mommies that their kids heads won't get hit.  Thats just my personal opinion.  It looks great on paper and I took all the classes as required but I am going to keep teaching them head to the side and wrap (and roll) and keep making tackles safely!  I haven't had an injury using this technique in 4 years as a head coach. 

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

That is one thing I didn't like about heads up.  It is too high unless you have your kids do a full squat before tackling and the RB will laugh and stiff arm you into the ground if you squat that low.  I am not saying it isn't a good way to teach kids to get their heads up.  I am saying it isn't as effective ESPECIALLY with smaller kids.

If you tell a smaller kid to buzz and shoot and rip upwards against a really big fullback there are going to be complications on the small kids part.  That is just reality.  Bull the neck and do your best to hit low (at the hips and thighs) and keep your head to the side.  There will be no chance of head to head contact.  Teach a kid to buzz and rip upward and there is definately a chance at head to head contact.  Its just a new "fad" to show mommies that their kids heads won't get hit.  Thats just my personal opinion.  It looks great on paper and I took all the classes as required but I am going to keep teaching them head to the side and wrap (and roll) and keep making tackles safely!  I haven't had an injury using this technique in 4 years as a head coach.

You have to get used to bending one knee low and coming up all in one motion while still running.  It's not a two legged double squat and you don't stop.  That's what gets you low.  Step in the imaginary hole and explode up on contact. 

Little dudes can do this knee high with practice.  Do not stop you feet.  You have to go through the tackle.

I like the roll, especially for dline coming off a block and little guys.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

You have to get used to bending one knee low and coming up all in one motion while still running.  It's not a two legged double squat and you don't stop.  That's what gets you low.  Step in the imaginary hole and explode up on contact. 

Little dudes can do this knee high with practice.  Do not stop you feet.  You have to go through the tackle.

I like the roll, especially for dline coming off a block and little guys.

Yea, its tough when you buzz.  Having a kid learn to run full speed, buzz feet, bend one knee low and come up all in one motion while still "buzz running" is tough.  The buzzing seems to slow everything down so much that when kids try to go low and explode up in a rip, they are stopping their momentum.  But people are successful with it, like in your case, I guess it just takes time.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Trip - thanks again for posting that video, I really like what they're doing there.  I send it on to our D coordinator, he likes the look of it too.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I much prefer that over heads up. Not only do I see it as a feasible technique(which I have my doubts with heads up) but also safer than heads up. The buzzing the feet thing is great until the rb decides to lower his shoulder and run through you instead of around you.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Our boys went to a clinic put on by the HS staff last night.  One of the coaches did a quick 5 minute review of Heads Up Tackling.  He repeatedly told them that there were 5 steps then repeatedly omitted 1 each time that he went through it. I did exactly the same thing when we were teaching a heads up clinic last year.  I was showing the boys the entire thing, made it to hit position and completely blanked when I realized that there were two steps left.  One kid raised his hand half way through and asked if they could just tackle kids instead.  8) (this is the same kid that, when I asked if there were any questions after getting on the boys at half time in a tied game when they were getting bullied and beat up, broke the silence with, "Coach, who would win in a fight, Hulk or Superman?).

I have now taught 4 heads up clinics and while I include the "buzz" because it's part of the program, I show it once and de-emphasize it from that point forward.

I am going to spend some time looking at rugby tackling, it looks interesting. Their Profile tackle has the defender aiming for the near chest plate which is interesting.  I would think that would increase the chance of tackling nothing but the air behind the runner.  We can't teach getting the head across the body anymore though and USA football seems to be intentionally non specific on their angle tackling so I will play with that I think.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: