Do your AC's speak ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do your AC's speak at practice/post game huddles?

Page 1 / 2

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

So I want to hear the opinions from coaches on what if any input/feedback you allow your AC's to have during team huddles, at the end of practices or after games. I know some don't believe that anyone except for the HC should be speaking and some want to give everyone a chance to give their part. I will say that after last season, I will probably do all of the talking and have a debrief with the coaches after so that we can address any concerns or problems they saw. However, in my AC's defense we sounded like a bunch of "effort parrots" because I did a poor job of setting expectations on day one with my staff. 

Thoughts?

--Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

I'm probably in the minority,  but I hate after practice talks.  When I coached high school, every coach on staff (except one) would talk to the team after practice.  I never heard anything of value that was said.

If I have a two hour window for practice.no more than sixty seconds will be wasted on a post practice talk.  And I sure as hell won't make the parents wait for 15 minutes after practice so I or other coaches can talk.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@chucknduck

One of my big things is ending practice on time, every night. I do think that there are some things such as school recognition or other hints in a players life that would be worth the brief 15-20 seconds it takes to acknowledge in front of the team. But outside of that, no I think lengthy talks were and are a waste of time. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Mahonz gives us all a chance to talk. I only pipe up if I have something really important to say. We all know to keep it short and for the most part we do. Post game is VERY quick. Let them get back to their weekend.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

bdjackson liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

As the HC my job is pretty much done after preseason. That is pretty much helping with talent placement and tweaking our systems then doing mountains of ridiculous player paperwork.  During the season if all I do is address the team before agilities. remind the Captain we want the football at the Coin Flip regardless. talk to the refs during the game and track subs so all the kids get their love....Im happy. 

My AC's run everything. I just take all the credit. 😎 

Although one of these days.... soon....like maybe week three of the season right before KO Im going to freak out one of my AC's and give him my Header hat then go coach DB's. Im needing simple with every passing year. Kids wont even notice cuz we are all in charge and it works. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

bdjackson liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@mahonz

Hey Mike. I’d go crazy if I couldn’t call my DW Offense. Thank god for my super organized team mom that likes to sleep in my bed. 

side note, not sure if you saw my message, but I was hoping to talk to you about some of the stuff you do during the season and your “MOJO” 

—Brian

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

give him my Header hat

I might try this if we ever get in mercy rule.

-Brian

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

We just spent 2 hours together...what the hell is left to talk about? 

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Generally, Our HC makes a few announcements ... when to be a the field for up-coming game... things like that....  I usually finish our practice with the bad "dad joke' of the day.  

When does a joke become a 'Dad' joke?   When it becomes apparent. 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coyote

usually finish our practice with the bad "dad joke' of the day.  

This is hilarious. Might use this with the 7-8’s. Maybe I’ll pick a kid and have them bring me a “dad” joke each day at practice. 

—Brian

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

After he spoke, every HC on a team I coached on except for Dave in 2010 asked all the ACs if we had anything to add.  And Dave was an arrogant jerk except with the players.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @bdjackson

Maybe I’ll pick a kid and have them bring me a “dad” joke each day at practice. 

When the kids end practice every day laughing, or groaning at a bad joke, the parents assume their kids are having fun.   

The joke my 2nd yr kids always request - even set me up for a couple times - is when my mule died.   

"Guy's I gotta go home tonight and bury my mule, she just died... I was working in the cornfield with my mule, Ol'

Betsy, and it was so hot the corn started to pop.  My mule thought it was snowing and froze to death"

This post was modified 5 months ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

And Dave was an arrogant jerk except with the players.

Dave Potter?

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

asked all the ACs if we had anything to add

How often did the AC's have anything that was worth adding that had not already been said by the HC. I ask, because in my experience it is typically a parrot fest as everyone tends to repeat the HC anyway. that's not to say that if an AC came to me with something to pass, I wouldn't let him, but it always ends up being a waste of time, and can be detrimental, especially if they are not 100% on board with the HC.

--Brian

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @chucknduck

I'm probably in the minority,  but I hate after practice talks.  When I coached high school, every coach on staff (except one) would talk to the team after practice.  I never heard anything of value that was said.

If I have a two hour window for practice.no more than sixty seconds will be wasted on a post practice talk.  And I sure as hell won't make the parents wait for 15 minutes after practice so I or other coaches can talk.

15 minutes!  Where I've been, the HC might take as much as 2 minutes, usually less, and the remaining coaches all together less than that.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: