Do your AC's speak ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do your AC's speak at practice/post game huddles?

Page 2 / 2

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @bdjackson
Posted by: @bob-goodman

And Dave was an arrogant jerk except with the players.

Dave Potter?

No.  I don't remember his last name except that it sounded Jewish, like Mandelbaum, but I'm probably mixing him up with a Dave Mandl I know.  Coach Dave was a special ed teacher and had been a SEAL, I think.  This was with the Pelham Bay Warriors in the Bronx.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@bob-goodman

Oh okay. I could only assume that it wasn't DP, but had to ask. 

Yeah, military training in general, but especially special forces training can create really arrogant people when mixed with the wrong personality. And this is from someone in the military. 

--Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @bob-goodman

asked all the ACs if we had anything to add

How often did the AC's have anything that was worth adding that had not already been said by the HC. I ask, because in my experience it is typically a parrot fest as everyone tends to repeat the HC anyway. that's not to say that if an AC came to me with something to pass, I wouldn't let him, but it always ends up being a waste of time, and can be detrimental, especially if they are not 100% on board with the HC.

--Brian

It doesn't waste much time to say, "I was going to say the same thing," which is what most of us say most of the time.  We're all looking at the same thing overall, we all have pretty much the same observations, but occasionally we have a little focus on a facet or player nobody else mentioned.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@bob-goodman

I would agree that there are times when an AC has some good input that would warrant 15 seconds on a soap box. However, I think that is where having a good relationship and understanding of what is important to say at the end of practice is important. And that is where I failed miserably last year. It definitely makes me think heavily about how I will go about it this year. 

--Brian

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

At our coaches meeting, I inform the staff that we are looking to waste as little time as possible.  At the end of practice (or games), I will close with a few words.  I am not going to end it with, "Coach Smith, do you have anything?  Coach Jones, do you have anything?  Coach Williams, do you have anything?"  We'd be out there another hour if I did, because each of them would say something along the lines of, "Guys, when I played, we gave it everything we have.  I remember this one time...."  And then 15 minutes later, this guy is still going on.  

Kids don't want to hear that (and neither do I).  Kids are interested in one subject and one subject only: themselves.  Talk to them about anything else and their eyes glaze over.  Talk to them about them and you have a much better chance to keep their attention.

I tell the ACs to be quiet UNLESS I have overlooked a detail that will help us with the next practice, or that will change their lives in a positive way.  Without either of those two criteria, keep your mouth closed.

In game situations, I am fine with position coaches talking to their players during timeouts, at halftime, or when they are on the sidelines.  That's what they're supposed to do.  That's tough to do during timeouts at youth ball because the time-outs are generally 30 seconds shorter than at high school because the officials are trying to get the game over with as soon as possible.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@coachdp

So when are you doing your player recognitions for things like grades that I have seen on Vimeo?

I would imagine you'd agree. But, I personally believe that if you are doing things like specific planned recognition then it is not a waste of time, as it bolsters the relationship and buy in of both the players and the parents. 

--Brian

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

So when are you doing your player recognitions for things like grades that I have seen on Vimeo?

--"Good News" is a planned part of practice.  It's at the end of our physical work, but it comes before "Coach's Notes."

I personally believe that if you are doing things like specific planned recognition then it is not a waste of time

--"Good News" is incorporated into our practice time.  Not something that's tacked on at the end.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

--"Good News" is a planned part of practice.  It's at the end of our physical work, but it comes before "Coach's Notes."

Dave,

"Good News and Coaches Notes"

Every time you answer a question of mine I have 100 more. that's it, I'm moving to NC and I'm joining your staff, when would you like to setup my interview. 

--Brian

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

each of them would say something along the lines of, "Guys, when I played, we gave it everything we have.  I remember this one time...."  And then 15 minutes later, this guy is still going on.  

A coach would get the hook pretty quickly if they went down that road. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

A coach would get the hook pretty quickly if they went down that road. 

Yeah, I got tired of giving them the hook, so I just made it a rule.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Every time you answer a question of mine I have 100 more. that's it, I'm moving to NC and I'm joining your staff, when would you like to setup my interview. 

Nah, you're good enough to do all this on your own.  Plus, I'm probably at the end of the ride.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

bdjackson liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

@mahonz

Hey Mike. I’d go crazy if I couldn’t call my DW Offense. Thank god for my super organized team mom that likes to sleep in my bed. 

side note, not sure if you saw my message, but I was hoping to talk to you about some of the stuff you do during the season and your “MOJO” 

—Brian

What?...all 3 plays? A broom handle could call the DW. 😎 

I did get your message and responded. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

What?...all 3 plays?

Come on Mike, that’s not fair. We run at least 6 plays. 

—Brian

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

What?...all 3 plays?

Come on Mike, that’s not fair. We run at least 6 plays. 

—Brian

😎

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I let them talk however it needs to be focused thought.  Something to do with practice we covered or game up comming.  The younger the kids the less talk I feel is necessary 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: