Notifications

dude WTF!  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2016 11:02 am  

Wonder what Nick Saban would've done in this situation...

Speaking of...I was surprised he allowed Kiffen to rub it in USC's face last week.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 12, 2016 11:06 am  

Saban wouldn't ever find himself in that situation. Everybody on the planet knows who is in control of that deal.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2016 11:07 am  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2016/09/10/nick-saban-lane-kiffin-alabama-sideline/90205214/

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 12, 2016 11:52 am  

Why weren't you the first one there?

--Dave

I am normally there 2 - 2.5 hours before game time, but that day I forgot to turn my alarm on and luckily I woke up half an hour later than I should have and I got there an hour later than normal. But that coach had already been there an hour before I arived.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 12, 2016 12:08 pm  

First of all I hope you don't have your team out there warming up for 2-2.5 hours before the game - frankly even 90 minutes is double what we do (45 mins including the coin toss).

The key is as others have alluded to as HC you have to have the respect of your team. That does not mean you have to be a control freak but an AC showing up in pre-game installing his own offense without your permission is absolutely outrageous and the Saban / Kiffin @$$ chewing is exactly what I pictured if I ever showed up to see that from one of my ACs (who would never do that or they wouldn't be my ACs to begin with).

Him doing that was on him (even if he felt there was a void with your leadership - he must to flat out disrespect it on that level) and he has to be held accountable. But you allowing it and running it in the game - you've got only one person to look at on that one.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
September 13, 2016 7:01 am  

What Dave said and a WHOLE bunch of other stuff. Dude, you have about 2 seconds to reaffirm yourself as the leader of this team or you are TOAST! You probably already are toast but if you have any shred of hope you gotta get control yesterday!

I don't know what went wrong but somewhere along the way somebody got the impression that you don't have control of your team and they are filling that perceived void.

Don't take this the wrong way...you seem like a really nice dude.... but it seems pretty clear that right, wrong, or indifferent, your AC has zero respect for you.

Yup.

Not to give advice, and this is based off of how I understand your specific situation Darth, but you may want to consider telling that guy he is no longer the play caller and he can coach the Defense if he wants to stay on the Staff. There is no way I would let him near the Offense again and I'm not even sure I'd let him on the Practice Field.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 13, 2016 7:47 am  

You cannot spend enough time with your coaching staff in the off season.  Especially when staff is new.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 13, 2016 8:01 am  

last year we played against an exhausted team, it was hot 105*, and probably 10* hotter on the rubber pellet/turf field.  The other teams coaching was just horrible.  No hands technique anywhere, backside of defense abandoned for the flow, they all stood straight up on both sides of ball, bad pass coverage all man no zone, footwork at any position wasnt there EVERYTHING was BAD!!

Before the game every time they made a mistake they had to do 5 sometimes 10 down ups. They made mistakes for an hour and 15 minutes straight. They messed up 1/3 of the snaps, they had no clue how to get the jet sweep motion timed up with cadence from shotgun, linemen running into eahcother...sooo they did up downs over and over, whole team. On top of that the coach was yelling and belittling them. They were fighting and yelling at eachother, lots of cursing, they were imploding right in front of us. So pre game the coach destroyed their bodies and their spirit...good job 🙁

Meanwhile we were just sitting in the shade having players look at there "opposite positions" while we lazily freestyle stretched, we did 5 minute fast paced kinetic, 10 minutes of indos, and game time.

They were hands on hips tired, catching breathe and dousing themselves with water before kickoff, they were already spent. So if your in need of 2 hours of coaching before games...IMO your going to loose the concentration of your team, your going to add stress and this is usually a sign of "coaching problems" ESPECIALLY IF THE WORD INSTALL IS EVER USED!!!!!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 13, 2016 10:33 am  

Before the game every time they made a mistake they had to do 5 sometimes 10 down ups.

This is 100% "Look at me, everybody!!! See, I'm a good coach!!! It's the kids that are the problem!!! See? I'm good!!!"

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 13, 2016 11:04 am  

This thread has inspired me to write up the stories of all of the problems I've had throughout the years. I figured I'd share them all with the coaches in the future. It really makes me wonder what the I'm doing with my time. I've only been on 3 winning teams in 9 years (out of 10 teams), and I quit or got kicked out of 3 of those teams. It's still fun... but damn, I've worked with some dumb people and made some huge mistakes myself...

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 13, 2016 1:08 pm  

I have also been the asst coach with some "ok" head coaches, 1 complete douche and some that just didnt know anything technique wise just loose knowledge of the game as a whole. I do understand the position some asst coaches are in, try to influence, help but dont become the cancer.

I had 1 year with an "ok" coaching staff, I say "ok" because they did know foot and hand work, backfield action, throwing tech, blocking scheme so on so forth. BUT!! they knew the EYE formation, and its basic plays you would expect including PAP, iso, boot & counter. What they didnt know was any other offense. They knew 53 and 44 defense which is what they saw almost every game. They did not know the GAM defense.

To make a long story slightly shorter 😉 we are 5-0, and just killing teams, mercy rule and 35 to 0 at half in 4 games, and 40 + to 8 in another.
I got the FB trap installed killing teams as a quick hitting counter, they (HC and OC) had just the "fb dive" then I showed them fb trap and it was off to the races. To be honest they refused me but when I hurt their starting defense with it they excepted it. 😉

6th game we dont have scout film (HC" Were gonna kick their ass too we dont need no film "!!!) on this team and they too are undefeated, 5-0 and killing teams. After the 5th play I identify the defense as the G.A.M. We couldn't run our base plays, their D was stuffing our O, save for 1 first down. I inform the coaching staff what defense it is. Next possession nothing changes 3 and punt. I go back and remind them its the GAM.

"I dont care what the fuck its called we aint blockin worth shit"!! and of course the condensending look of disapproval, eyebrow up n eyball roll crap

Half time I attempt to explain to them how to beat the GAM, specifically the way this team was running it. The coaches completely ignored me. I think we lost 13 to 12, when we could of EASILY won with 4 more TDs!

We win next 7 games in convincing fashion, and now we will face this GAM team in the championship. I do my homework and bring a print out of the GAM. They toss it in the bag and ignore me, next day I see a kid throwing my papers in trash as I walk up to practice field. I email "how to kill GAM" info a lot of it I got here from this Dumcoach site, a lot from Clark, they ignore it, ignore me, Im just a pest now. Thursday, our last practice I brought my fucking computer with video on it SHOWING THEM HOW TO DEFEAT THE GAM!!! It was only 3 minutes,,,they refused! You guys cannot be that stubborn, just 3 minutes, please just watch it, you dont have to do anything but watch.

They laughed at it, at me and said

"we dont need no online bullshit to know how to coach football, maybe thats where you learned all your horse shit"

the added ,  if I didnt want to be a part of team I am welcome to leave

Game day, we get fucking hammered 35 to 12 I think was final maybe worse. They didnt change anything, the other team was prepared for exactly what we brought to game and only some superior player performances got us some scores. If anything they said from our game film with them "look those dumbasses aint got no linebackers or just 1 sometimes, were gonna pound the shit right out em"

so I have been that asst coach before that started to fight and argue

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
September 13, 2016 2:28 pm  

I can tolerate bad X's & O's and keep my mouth shut.  The only things that I won't tolerate are blatant nepotism, favoritism, and coaches being toxic to kids.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 14, 2016 7:09 am  

I can tolerate bad X's & O's and keep my mouth shut.  The only things that I won't tolerate are blatant nepotism, favoritism, and coaches being toxic to kids.

my above, some what long winded story, is toxic IMO. They put their pride before team. So bad that even on our off tackle TOSS that we ran it had a cross block cue that was occasionally used. I said use cross block on the toss and basically wouldnt call cross block just in spite. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY, but to prove some point, what? I got no clue what point but it had to be something theses pricks were trying to prove

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 14, 2016 11:49 am  

my above, some what long winded story, is toxic IMO. They put their pride before team. So bad that even on our off tackle TOSS that we ran it had a cross block cue that was occasionally used. I said use cross block on the toss and basically wouldnt call cross block just in spite. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY, but to prove some point, what? I got no clue what point but it had to be something theses pricks were trying to prove

I can relate. I was nicknamed "Coach Google" as an AC on an 0-8 team.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
September 14, 2016 12:06 pm  

I can relate. I was nicknamed "Coach Google" as an AC on an 0-8 team.

I get made fun of for always having a pen and pad of paper on hand at every practice. Complete with doodles on blocking schemes and backfield assignments.

Right up to, and after, they ask for a pen and paper.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: