Ever Have a kid hat...

Notifications

Ever Have a kid hat seems to hurt all the other kids?  

RSS

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 11, 2020 4:20 pm  

I have a very agressive player. I love his full effort and full speed. It seems however that every practice he ends up taking unnecessary shots at our own kids. Last night we were trying to get seconds some reps and BOOM! just lays out the other player. No reason to be so hard.

How to teach situational intensity?

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 11, 2020 4:36 pm  
Posted by: @rjbthor

Good Question, have one of those on our team.  Maybe not as to the same degree as your, but he does like to flatten people, his own included.  We talk to him about it, but so far the talking seems to last about one practice, then the next, he's at it again.   There is no malice in this kid, he just loves to rough house, and he'll take it as well as dish it out, all with a grin. 

So, I'm also open to suggestions... 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 11, 2020 4:56 pm  

I had a kid like that a few years ago.  He had one speed, wide open. When doing thud drills and such, pull him out and tell him why.  You do not want to cap his aggression, but you do want him to understand when you are doing thuds and such.   I try to have a quick whistle to avoid taking to the ground when possible.    I finally had to actually take this kids helmet off in walk throughs and such.  Literally.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 12, 2020 4:41 am  

It seems however that every practice he ends up taking unnecessary shots at our own kids. Last night we were trying to get seconds some reps and BOOM! just lays out the other player. No reason to be so hard.

Not sure of your question.  By "he ends up taking unnecessary shots at our own kids," do you mean cheap shots?  Cheap shots are entirely unnecessary and should never be tolerated.

On the other hand, if he's playing clean football but is simply more advanced from a physicality standpoint then the rest of your team, it sounds like you've got some catching up to do with the rest of your players.  If he's fundamentally sound and isn't a danger to himself or others, then by all means DO NOT QUELL IT.  On the other hand, if he's high risk and a head hunter, then he needs remedial fundamental teaching.

I don't know the types of drills or instruction you're using when he's laying wood on his teammates.  Shorter distances, starting from fit and having him (or his opponent) carry a shield, are all ways to implement safer impact without reining in his aggression.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 12, 2020 10:35 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

It seems however that every practice he ends up taking unnecessary shots at our own kids. Last night we were trying to get seconds some reps and BOOM! just lays out the other player. No reason to be so hard.

Not sure of your question.  By "he ends up taking unnecessary shots at our own kids," do you mean cheap shots?  Cheap shots are entirely unnecessary and should never be tolerated.

On the other hand, if he's playing clean football but is simply more advanced from a physicality standpoint then the rest of your team, it sounds like you've got some catching up to do with the rest of your players.  If he's fundamentally sound and isn't a danger to himself or others, then by all means DO NOT QUELL IT.  On the other hand, if he's high risk and a head hunter, then he needs remedial fundamental teaching.

I don't know the types of drills or instruction you're using when he's laying wood on his teammates.  Shorter distances, starting from fit and having him (or his opponent) carry a shield, are all ways to implement safer impact without reining in his aggression.

--Dave

That's about what I was going to write.  We need to know what "unnecessary" means.  If it just means, "He's already demonstrated he's dominant in the rep but decides to cap it off with a little extra effort," then I say great, bring it on, maybe it'll encourage the other players too.

If it means he's dirty, then that's a discipline problem.  He needs to sit down as he would if he got caught doing that in a game.  Maybe some boring exercise to keep him busy in the meantime, because you don't want a tired player "earning a rest" by nefarious means!

If it means you're seeing injuries in drills you thought were safe, then either the design or your control of the drill is faulty.  You don't want a situation where Player A thinks you want to go THIS far and Player B thinks you mean it to go THAT far, and they meet.  You need to be explicit about what contact is accepted and required in this drill, because any leeway your language or demonstration seems to allow will occur.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 12, 2020 10:45 am  

100% on board with DP and Bob. 

This is kid is a blessing. He's a walking, breathing mojo drill. 

One of our pillars of mojo is that we play with honor. There is no honor in hitting a player who doesn't see it coming. I'm happy that this is now a penalty as well. It didn't used to be and I hated it. Teach him the rules and be strict about them. Zero tolerance for personal fouls or playing without honor. There's also the issue of head safety. Make sure he's not using his head or targeting other players' heads.

Lets also examine the definition of "hurt". How many players has this kid "hurt" who couldn't return to practice? If the answer is "zero", this kid is doing you a favor.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 13, 2020 3:03 pm  

great comments. He never hurts anybody in a drill. Its more we when we run o vs d. When he is on O hes does a great job blocking and running. When he is on D he just goes after it. The problem is he is always working with against second O backs and blockers who are not as good as he is. His technique is great and it is head up/ wrap up and drive. Just a great player. 

Not sure if this is the way you guys teach it, but I tell anybody on D - We go full speed all the time. Never half effort. The player you are going against  deserves your best effort in order to get better. The other players do not cause any other noticable patterns of injury, Just the one.

On another opposite problem we had a parent comlplaint today - Johnny is not involed enough on offense in a menaingful way - aka he does not get the ball thrown to him - We threw 8 times yesterday out of 36 offenesive plays we did not throw when he was in. "Johnny was a superstar qb and wr in flag football last season. He is not getting an opportunity to get reps because he is new to the team".  I am not looking for answers here just fun to share parents biching. Johnny will not tackle, touch another player anytime. Not in drills. Not in the games. If he is a WR if he is being guarded he will run away from the defender and bail on his route. If he is a cb he wont stay with the wr. Had him working FS this last week during practice to see if he will engage after the runner is stood up - nope - nada - nothing. After 2 months of practice this player will not engage in anything physical. Pretty hard to play football if you cant have contact.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
Share: