Everyone Running th...

Notifications
Clear all

Everyone Running the Same System

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Like always, I get to experience another one of those experimental things this year. Everyone in our organization is running the same system. But here's the thing that's particularly interest. I work in finance, and finance is all about developing good processes and then carrying them out, so I'm very familiar with how processes work with adults.

I don't like processes very much at all. The problem with processes is that people tend to think that they're fool proof. Something magical happens when it gets written on paper, people believe it's right. But just because two people can do the same drill doesn't mean that two people are actually doing the same drill the same way. That's what gets lost in process. It's a fool's dream to think that you can install a procedure that will last for six years. It's especially foolish to think that a committee can do it.

Yesterday I saw a somewhat well designed offense written on paper. Everyone was apparently in agreement that they should run that offense. However, when someone asked what drills that they should all run... well it was bull. You can't have a committee build a procedure. It should be left up to one person, and that person needs to be able to weigh criticism and use it to improve the process.

The best idea is to simply not have a process, or if you do, use something that's battle tested, like Dave Cisar's system.

I will say this though, so far, this new place that I'm at is looking pretty good. I just think this whole "everyone does the same thing" thing is going to blow up quick and become unfollowable.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold

Still In Dearborn?

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I just think this whole "everyone does the same thing" thing is going to blow up quick and become unfollowable.

Kyle, I agree.  Which is why we never did it.  Good luck with it, though.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We have had acs that left us and coached other teams use a similar offense/defense as what we run. So now the association has a few teams running very similar stuff. They tweaked it a little and have done well with it. Those guys run many of the same drills we do and run super high speed practices for no other reason than that they work and fit the system. As said, how you run those drills is what is important. Enthusiastic, many reps, and attention to detail with quick coaching points. Many teams go through the motions and do not correct on the fly or over coach and stop everybody to explain for the entire indie time a certain point.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

Since 3rd grade all the way through high school we ran a dominating Power I that we won many championships on all levels with.  I grew up in a huge city with tons to choose from.  Many of the guys who blocked for me through the years went to Div I schools, one made the NFL for 14 years.

It was awesome, we learned the same players, watered down of course, in 3rd that the varsity was running, same with the D.  Same warmups, same everything!  But we won, the HC was there for over 20 years!

Fast forward to now and we are on the 3rd HC at our high school in 5 years, all running different stuff so we say, run what you wish, just fundementally preapre teh kids for high school ball.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Still In Dearborn?

Nope. I'm working in Livonia now, so I'm helping out with the Blue Jays.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

We have had acs that left us and coached other teams use a similar offense/defense as what we run. So now the association has a few teams running very similar stuff. They tweaked it a little and have done well with it. Those guys run many of the same drills we do and run super high speed practices for no other reason than that they work and fit the system. As said, how you run those drills is what is important. Enthusiastic, many reps, and attention to detail with quick coaching points. Many teams go through the motions and do not correct on the fly or over coach and stop everybody to explain for the entire indie time a certain point.

Right, but those guys were probably very competent. They learned how to do it. What I'm saying is that it's not the process that makes a coach great. I can give Dave's drills to one person and he'll think they're great, and then I can give them to another and it's just pearls before swine.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

The problem is a "system" isn't just some plays written on a few pages of paper

A "system" is a top to bottom way of doing things

The reason my program has been the winningest program in the state for the last 12 years ( 2 different programs 90 miles apart)?- it isn't our playbook- it's our system

That means a lot of things like:
Mission
Team Management
Motivational Process
Team Building- Team Chemistry Development
Character Development
Practice Methodology
Practice Priorities- where you invest the time
Teaching Process- Progressions
Practice Precision
Practice Pace
Yes- DRILLS- but more importantly how they are taught, how they are prioritized, how precise they are, when they are taught and pace
Then just on offense:
How it is implemented- we install MUCH different than most
How it is repped
What order repped in
What level of precision is required
Pace- pace- pace
When to add plays
What plays to add based on personnel nuances
What adjustments to add
Then a little TINY bit on play calling:
When to call what
When you see x, you go to Y
How to make formation and play adjustments- why- when- how

Then you have position drills- how to train offensive linemen, backs, QBs, receivers etc

Then its how to manage and plan for your game day

We haven't even talked about defense or special teams

Some "plays" in a playbook isn't a system IMO
What we do with our teams and what I sell is a system
It works for us- and when I had 400 kids and 16 teams with a shortage of coaches- it was the only way we could be consistently successful across the board- using our definition of success.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The problem is a "system" isn't just some plays written on a few pages of paper

A "system" is a top to bottom way of doing things

Correct.  It's not just doing some of the things.  It's doing all of the things.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

DP

That's why whenever anyone just wants the offensive- I let them know that's just a tiny part of the puzzle

That's why I value playbooks so little on their own

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

A good system such as Dave's can have playbooks inter changed with a few tweeks. I know because we have done it. The plays are the least important part of it as long as they are well designed and work together.

ReplyQuote
Share: