Favorite Ref might ...

Notifications

Favorite Ref might be done  

RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 3, 2020 8:37 pm  

Met Mahonz at a local field to scout our next opponent. Mahonz left at halftime, but I stuck around.  My "favorite" 🙄 ref was the white hat. Last play of the game, next opponent scores, but there is a flag near the original LOS around the 25 yard line. 2 kids are rolling on the ground, fighting.  Couldn't believe my eyes as the white hat picked up a kid from a lying down position onto his feet . . . by the face mask . . . angrily.

Far sideline erupted and one of the coaches had to be restrained. Turned out, white hat picked up both kids by the face mask onto their feet. One of them was this coach's kid.  Not sure if white hat ended the game, or if it was already the last play, but he walked off, saying "It's my profession, idiot!" No idea what he meant by that, but he picked up his folding chair and umbrella and left in a hurry. I'd be very surprised if he ever officiated in our league again. Very nearly a "Youtube" moment.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 4, 2020 12:09 am  

It bothers me to see coaches leading players around by the mask, but it's such a tempting handle I caught myself doing it once...but only once.  All a kid has to do is lose his footing while you're holding the face mask, and you can wind up with a lot of force on the neck.  And that's without it being even an angry gesture.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 4, 2020 12:57 am  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

It bothers me to see coaches leading players around by the mask

My coaches sign a contract agreeing to never do it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 4, 2020 12:59 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Couldn't believe my eyes as the white hat picked up a kid from a lying down position onto his feet . . . by the face mask . . . angrily.

Those that officiate our sport are the worst kind of people.  There are two kinds: the ones that are worthless, and the ones who simply pretend not to be worthless.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 4, 2020 1:59 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

Couldn't believe my eyes as the white hat picked up a kid from a lying down position onto his feet . . . by the face mask . . . angrily.

Those that officiate our sport are the worst kind of people.  There are two kinds: the ones that are worthless, and the ones who simply pretend not to be worthless.

--Dave

This guy is special, Dave. 

a) He's an activist. He thinks it's his job to level the playing field for poorly coached teams. If team A has their act together and team B doesn't, he will get out the precision measuring equipment in regards to the neutral zone, an X receiver that is 3" off the LOS, any effective block must be a hold, etc, etc, etc. Week 1, we had 4 TDs called back on penalties, 2 of which were revealed on film to be "ghost holds". Our opponent routinely had 2 in motion, happy feet, half their o-line were in the neutral zone and the other half in the backfield, but Judge White Hat let all that go.

b) He is completely self-centered. Tells us that we are on a 2 hour curfew due to the pandemic rules, so warm ups will be cut short. Then, spends 10 minutes per team lecturing/quizzing everyone, including the kids on the patch rules. I have been coaching under these rules since 2006. Mahonz . . . since they sewed patches onto the kids' leather helmets. Mahonz and I have a running joke about him:  "By rule . . ." Not even kidding. At least 3 times per game, he approaches the sideline and addresses the coaches, players and parents, "By rule . . .", then goes and repeats for the other sideline. We have yet to finish a game under curfew with him and 3/4 of our plays are no huddle. (quarters measured in 20 plays). All he is missing is the wireless microphone connected to the stadium PA system.

c) My nick name for him is "Coach (Name Redacted)" because he loves to coach players. I have personally asked him no fewer than 5 times to please not coach my players unless he is willing to let me throw flags and blow whistles.

d) Loves to warn both sidelines of the consequences for a given infraction. Then promptly fails to follow through on those dire consequences. Example, off-setting personal fouls. Warns both sidelines that one more personal foul on either player would result in an ejection. This puts our player in tears. Next play, calls the same opposing player for another personal foul. Ignores calls for that player's ejection.

e) Absolutely clueless in the game. Last time we had him, we knew our opponent was playing a patch player illegally at LB. Patch players must play "on the line". We knew we were going to destroy that team, so we chose not to bring it up. Opponent played 3 defensive series like that. Then, this genius flagged us because our KB flexed DE's were too far off the LOS. During a timeout, I went onto the field to fix the problem. I looked at my players and asked him, "What's wrong with where they are lined up?" He said they had to be within a yard of the neutral zone. I said, "Looks like they are a yard from the neutral zone". Actual quote: "They are more like a yard plus 3 inches". I stared at him a blinked a few times, then turned to my 2 DE's, "Alright boys, we are going to have to stay on top of this because Mr. White Hat doesn't miss out on details like this. So, I want you to put your toe up against the neutral zone, then take a step back. That way we know we are within a yard". I then turned to to the white hat, "Is that okay? Are we good?" He said they were fine. I said thanks and started walking away, then turned and said, "By the way, since we are scrutinizing details to within 3 inches, #20 has a big green patch on his helmet and has been playing LB for 3 series. But thanks for straightening us out on our flex alignment." On their next defensive series, white hat sees #20, stops the game and lectures both sidelines (coaches, players, parents and hot dog vendors) on the patch rule. "By rule, patch players must . . ."

But today was different. I never expected anything like that from him or any official. I feel bad for him because it was clear that he lost it for a split second that he'll never get back.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 4, 2020 12:03 pm  

This guy has been around forever....something tells me he will be back. 

Sad deal. 

Another goof ball is the side judge we got at our game. Two delay of game penalities....no chop. We dont play in stadiums so no play clock to see. I ask the crew....who chops? He tells me he is at 10 seconds. He had no clue what I was talking about. He never chopped one time. 

Chopping is like a basketball ref chopping off the seconds for the Offense to advance beyond the midline. Normally the back judge does this so the QB can see him but we can never seem to get more than 2 refs at our games. 

Then we get called for an illegal formation...no problem as I figured my X was not paying attention. Then again next play....big problem as I had just reminded my X to check with with Doofus MaGoo standing 6 feet from him. . I ask who? He tells me my two ends need to be on the LOS.  Huh? That would place 9 on the LOS. Plus he is on the other side of the formation. I tell him they are slots.

X......................T....G...C...T...G....Y

................................................................H......Z

Yep we are dealing with idiots. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
October 5, 2020 10:58 am  

@mahonz

Never seen the chop-count thing.  In Ohio, I've only ever seen the ref raise an open hand in a "5 seconds" gesture when there are 5 seconds left on the play clock.  Some refs will even go so far as to verbally count down from 5 when they raise their hands.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 5, 2020 1:17 pm  

I've seen "pump".  Not sure I've ever seen "chop" -- at least not in football, or maybe I just didn't recognize it.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 5, 2020 6:00 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

Then again next play....big problem as I had just reminded my X to check with with Doofus MaGoo standing 6 feet from him.

Mike said, "Doofus MaGoo."  😆 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 5, 2020 10:30 pm  

Then again next play....big problem as I had just reminded my X to check with with Doofus MaGoo standing 6 feet from him.

--Dave

About 10 times per week. Getting labled "Doofus Magoo" is a lot easier than you might think.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 6, 2020 3:29 pm  

--Dave

About 10 times per week. Getting labled "Doofus Magoo" is a lot easier than you might think.

Its hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys....present company excluded of course. I wouldn't have made it thru this season without my favorite MaGoo. 😎 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 10, 2020 3:11 pm  

Well, we got this ref today because . . . of course we did. He actually called a good game. However, in pre-game, after his weekly "patch rule/listen to my whistle/football 101", lecture, he lectured us coaches.

Something about not tolerating coaches coming at him on the field to fight him or take swings at him. Tells Mahonz, "I've never had a problem with you, so you do what you do and we won't have a problem, but last week, I had a problem involving THAT team (points at our opponent), where I tried to break up a fight between two kids and had coaches try to fight me. If coaches attack me, I will defend myself. I AM a former Denver cop, so I'm quite capable of defending myself."

The whole time, I'm thinking, "Where's this guy's wheelbarrow to carry around his giant brass balls" to spin a story like that. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 10, 2020 7:13 pm  

Well, we got this ref today because . . . of course we did. He actually called a good game. However, in pre-game, after his weekly "patch rule/listen to my whistle/football 101", lecture, he lectured us coaches.

Something about not tolerating coaches coming at him on the field to fight him or take swings at him. Tells Mahonz, "I've never had a problem with you, so you do what you do and we won't have a problem, but last week, I had a problem involving THAT team (points at our opponent), where I tried to break up a fight between two kids and had coaches try to fight me. If coaches attack me, I will defend myself. I AM a former Denver cop, so I'm quite capable of defending myself."

The whole time, I'm thinking, "Where's this guy's wheelbarrow to carry around his giant brass balls" to spin a story like that. 

Thank you for not exploding as he lied thru his teeth about what really happened. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 10, 2020 9:36 pm  

Thank you for not exploding as he lied thru his teeth about what really happened. 

When he said, "Do what you do and we won't have a problem", I almost replied, "Keep your hands off our players' face masks and we won't have a problem."

ReplyQuote
Share: