Notifications
Clear all

Final Week

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

This is our final week of "pre-season" 🙄 as this Monday is mandatory attendance for everyone.  Yesterday, the high temperature was "freezing as all heck."  We've been practicing on turf, so while that's made the muddy shoe situation a bit better, the chapped body parts makes everything worse.  We had Varsity on one field and JV on another.  Header had me with the Varsity yesterday.  I'm still coaching RBs, but I've also moved over to assisting with o-line.  However, yesterday he asked me to work with the receivers.  The RECEIVERS.  In a SPREAD offense.  I said, "Receivers?  How do you spell it?"  (Not really.)  I went to the receivers group and we ran stick and star footwork drills.  One receiver asked me, "You're going to coach us?"  (My reputation precedes me...)  Anyway, it went fine and they're an incredibly talented group.  We have great depth at RB (2 seniors and an uber-talented 250 lb. sophomore).  The linemen are coming around to understanding a more physical approach, as Coach Williams (who was my AC at EWHS) and I try to install a Double Wing toughness to a group that's been pattycakers in year's past.  

I figure if Lombardi could coach in Ice-Bowl conditions on a regular basis, then I should just quit the whining and embrace it.  As for wearing these stupid masks that fog up my sunglasses at every opportunity, I've learned to embrace them too.  The stupid thing helps keep my face warm.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Good Stuff 🙂 We had some of that "cold" stuff at the end of our "fall" season. Our championship game was played on December 12th...and Texas "winters" are weird...it can be 70 degrees during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down, the temp will drop into the 30's, and the clocks change the beginning of November :). 

So, masks, I got me a couple of the UA masks, that have a weird wire thingee that you can mold around your nose and cheeks, and if i get it just right, no fogging of the sunglasses...I also got some "anti-fog" spray for Christmas, I haven't tried it yet, but my wife has, and swears it works...going to give it a try at our first practice...

And, yes, the masks do keep your face warm, especially if it is windy...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @spidermac

Texas "winters" are weird...it can be 70 degrees during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down, the temp will drop into the 30's, and the clocks change the beginning of November :).

Chris, I remember going to Dallas and Frisco in February for the Double Wing symposiums.  Brutal cold.  "This is Texas?"  February is the worst month of the year in North Carolina.  I'll grit my teeth for the next 4 weeks.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

I missed a DW symposium in Frisco? Thats 10 minutes from my house 🙁

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @spidermac

I missed a DW symposium in Frisco? Thats 10 minutes from my house 🙁

Yes, the earliest were in Dallas and then Vegas.  When it moved back to Texas, I think they were all in Frisco.  Jack did a fantastic job with those clinics.  They were incredibly well-organized.  Then JJ took it over when it moved to New Orleans.  Those were great clinics, too.  It's a pity you didn't attend.  I wish they would bring them back; so much better than a Zoom or Skype set-up.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Must have been before I found this place, I guess I joined 10 years ago...says so under my Dawg head...

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

I figure if Lombardi could coach in Ice-Bowl conditions on a regular basis, then I should just quit the whining and embrace it.  

Love this.   Having played and done most my coaching in west michigan, dealing lake effect snow, I strongly empathize.  When I played (never w/out at least one game in snow and another on frozen ground - like playing on concrete) our coaches told us - about a hundred times - that Woody Hayes coached practices in sub-freezing weather wearing only 2 T-shirts.   Always thought that was a big fib.  Then read a biography on Woody, and the biographer told the same story, but it seems no coaches were allowed to shower after practice until Woody had his, and he wouldn't come out until all the hot water was gone. 🤣 

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

We only had one pair of shoes, so we had to share. We walked to school, up hill, both ways in a Blizzard!  🤣 

One of the Coaches my Dad had actually played with Nagurski.  His endearing term for us kids was  "Daisey's and Lilly's" Cause we wilted like flowers!  😬 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Dusty Ol Fart

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

I coached this past fall with a mask and I actually grew to like the mask on a cold day. Now I find myself wearing some form often mask every night when I walk the dog. 

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

We are catching a huge weather break here. I can’t recall a February here where we have had better weather. We are typically buried in snow and high’s in the 20’s. So far we have been in the 30’s-40’ and no snow! 

We hand out equipment next week and start the following week...I can’t wait! 

This is going to be a LONG football year for us. We will have a 3 week break between the end of this season and spring ball for  the following school year. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seabass

This is going to be a LONG football year for us. We will have a 3 week break between the end of this season and spring ball for  the following school year. 

I'm wondering about the same thing, Josh.  We'll play 7 regular season games, ending the 2nd week in April.  If we make the play-offs, then we could play through April.  Then I'm wondering if/when we start Spring ball, Summer workouts and such.  It could be like we're starting now and going continuously through November.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @youth-coach

We only had one pair of shoes, so we had to share. We walked to school, up hill, both ways in a Blizzard! 

Wait, you had shoes...????  🤣 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So yesterday after practice Coach Williams and I took our starting Center out for dinner and discussion.  We talked academics, plans after football, home life and this very short season (he's a senior).  We designed an action plan for him that we've already put in place.

I've spent most of my time with the offensive line this year, working with Coach W.  Last year, we had more receivers (9) than offensive linemen (6).  This year, we already have 12 offensive linemen.  We're facing many challenges of getting linemen out of old habits and getting them to understand the new way of doing things.  But we're seeing progress every day.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: