Notifications
Clear all

Firing off the ball

Page 1 / 2

dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

After third week of practice my kids have a total of 15 practice doing L.E.G everyday and sled drills everyday. They look amazing doing L.E.G and sled. We also have done splatter drills everyday this week which looked very well ask. However, when we run half line against defense or even close quarter blocking drills or tackling they don't fire off and they are popping straight up. Complete opposite of what they do against the sled and splatter drills. Any advice on getting then to fire out against each other without one of them using a pad would be awesome. Of my 16 I have 5 that are screaming off the ball the others or tiptoeing and popping straight up when going live.

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

You could try bribery.  Thursday night, I offered to buy my left end a Coke if he knocked the DT on his back side.  He didn't knock the tackle down but he sure started firing off and hitting him. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Work on core strength. Get a blocking chute. Get off the sled and hit football players. Sleds have their uses but don't replace the real thing.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

It's why I try to never work o-line against air or pads. Always against a "drill buddy"

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

when we run half line against defense or even close quarter blocking drills or tackling they don't fire off and they are popping straight up.

And you can't go 2-point stance?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Check weight distribution. If it is too far forward they almost have to come up first.

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I'm in 2 point stance, when we practice our plays we go up against our D-Line. They fire off until we are up against our DLine or if we or doing Oklahoma or close quarter blocking drills. None of them are confused about their job as we run TKO and they all know their track and block their man kind of. Just really slow off of the line.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DCOZ

Cheat the cadence!

Here's an example, our cadence is Ready Set Go, the Set Go roll together we snap on the T of set, the line fires off on the T of set. If they are really slow off the ball have them start on the S of Set.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Our 1-Board and 2-Board are pretty good for that.

My idea of low is hips low, though, not shoulder or head or helmet low.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

They fire off until we are up against our DLine or if we or doing Oklahoma or close quarter blocking drills.

Start them from fit to see how hard and fast they are driving at contact.  If they aren't using "piston-feet," they might be stepping to far.  Steps that are too long will cause a myriad of problems.

We used to use something called our "Big Dog" drill.  Have your 5 (or 7) offensive linemen get in their stance.  Put another player behind each one of them.  Have the player behind them reach out and grab hold of the bottom of their jersey or the top of the back of their pants.  Issue your start signal ("Go!," your cadence, or a whistle) and have the linemen fire out while being grabbed from behind.  Have the player behind them do everything they can do to hold on/slow them down.  It made our linemen work hard to fire off the LOS.  We called it "Big Dog" because they looked like dogs being held back by a leash.  It got them used to fighting hard off the LOS.  This was always a pre-game warm-up drill for our offensive linemen when I coached at CHS.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Can't wait to do BIg dog Monday. Will do more 1 board drill also. Thanks for the info...can't cheat the Cadence as my QB has a long readdyyy for the WB in motion.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

You can still cheat the cadence. Ours was dooooooowwwwwwnnnnn, set, go. We left t of set. Set go had no pause between them.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Our 1-Board and 2-Board are pretty good for that.

My idea of low is hips low, though, not shoulder or head or helmet low.

I agree it is all about hips being low. It takeas care of the others for the most part.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Another thing that's a huge help for linemen are footfire drills.  Get you a rope ladder and some cones.  It should be an EDD.

It was the number one investment we made in our O-Linemen at EWHS.  Well worth the time.  It can transform a lot of what makes a bad lineman a bad lineman...slow feet.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

We do our foot-speed drill on pavement.  You can hear all the feet land, and the kids that are behind can hear it right away, as can everyone else.

We set it up so there is some painted line (like in a parking lot, tennis court, whatever) that we want their heel to land on, so they don't step too far.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: