First Practice Yesterday

Page 2 / 4

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @festivus15

@gumby_in_co 

based on the conversation I had with him last week, (water) means they should be relatively still enough for a coach to shoot water in their mouth from a squeeze bottle. 

Correct.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

When you have "water" in parentheses, does this mean they can drink water during the exercise?

--That's when they're holding still long enough to be aim to aim water in their mouths.  Think clown with balloon coming out of his head at fairgrounds.

"Sky High" - not familiar with this one

--Bend down and touch the grass and then leap for the sky.

"Windmills" - like the 1978 PE class windmill? opposite hand touch opposite toe?

--No.  Stand there with your arms extended away while they twirl them around.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Timed all the kids today, twice.  Not a lot of speed.  I did find out why we have this plethora of little guys...a rival org cut their numbers and let them loose.  So they came to us.  Interesting.  20 minutes today on COD.  Backwards frog hops to close out practice.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @festivus15

@gumby_in_co 

based on the conversation I had with him last week, (water) means they should be relatively still enough for a coach to shoot water in their mouth from a squeeze bottle. 

I like it. We can add a waterboarding element to our Mojo. 🤣 🤣 🤣 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

Timed all the kids today, twice.  Not a lot of speed.  I did find out why we have this plethora of little guys...a rival org cut their numbers and let them loose.  So they came to us.  Interesting.  20 minutes today on COD.  Backwards frog hops to close out practice.

--Dave

There are a few coaches in our league that do this. They are constantly recruiting bigger faster and running off smaller slower. I'll take anyone who wants to play for us and do my best to make this the best experience of his/her life.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

There are a few coaches in our league that do this. They are constantly recruiting bigger faster and running off smaller slower. I'll take anyone who wants to play for us and do my best to make this the best experience of his/her life.

I was wondering about this influx.  This group seems to be familiar with each other, yet didn't play with the 4-4 Mitey Mite team last year.  Tonight COD is 30 minutes.  All but three of them finished yesterday.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Had our 5th practice yesterday.  Had 10-Yd Fight again, had COD for 30 minutes, and taught our tackling progression.  Next week, we will start teaching groups.  No real issues, or problems (with players or parents).  It's all going pretty smoothly.  Everything we do, they all seem to complete (or try to).  Can't really get upset with any of them, or where we are in terms of "progress."  We've had 19 kids out there consistently.  Of the 19, there are 2 who are a bit more advanced and 3 or 4 who are significantly behind the others (need more reps, more instruction and exhibit a harder time being able to process or focus).  The other 13 or so are pretty even amongst their overall ability.  And because so many are "even" in their skill set, makes it more of a challenge to figure out where to play them.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Coached practice today in a complete downpour.  I was completely soaked.  After Dynamics, went through our tackling progression and then our blocking progression.  Did X-Men for the first time.  Used one player to demo with me and taught him to hit to hurt.  10 years old and he beat the $#!% out of me.  Absolutely incredible.  After that, the rest of the players were looking to kill each other.  Small price to pay to get the desired result.  After practice, I told him how proud of him I was that he knocked the taste out of my mouth.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

Coach Potter,

What goes into your QB assessment?

this is looking like my first year without a guy and I’m interested in hearing what guys use to pick their QB in this situation. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seth54

Coach Potter,

What goes into your QB assessment?

this is looking like my first year without a guy and I’m interested in hearing what guys use to pick their QB in this situation. 

Seth, this is also my first year "without a guy."  In high school, kids make it easy for us and tell us what position they are.  We can do that because there's plenty of kids for every position.  And if their depth chart is too deep, either the player or the staff will move him to more shallow water.  At youth, we have to determine their positions or they'll ALL choose to be QB, RB or a Wide-Out (and we don't have Wide-Outs).  

While there's any number of things that would make a player a potential QB for us, the number one thing is their ability to be a game manager.  In other words, I need reliability in a player that I can trust to do what we want him to do in the way that we want it done.  Sure, I'd love to have a tall, rangy, good runner with an accurate arm and someone who can learn the responsibilities of the QB position and the rest of the offense, but that's just not the reality.  We have no one with any QB experience. Of our two candidates, the taller, better athlete of the two isn't as good at applying what we're telling him.  The shorter, smaller, slower one is all about listening, asking questions and learning.  I'd love our QB to be a 4th ball-carrier in our backfield.  As it is, he'll be someone to take the snap and distribute the football.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

To expound on X-Men, this is the first time since 2018 that I have cart blanche to teach not only X-Men but all our offensive line approach.  However, Pop Warner is hindering me a bit with the mandatory 2-point stance.  We are reintroducing "gaps" to our line numbering to better call our double teams.  For years, we have numbered the butts of the o-linemen but this year we are numbering the gaps. Reason being, to get "Double" (teams) called as a tag, and we're running behind our Right Tackle (who would be the 4-Butt), we'd have to specify who we wanted as his double team partner (either the Right Guard or the Right End).  By numbering the areas in between the linemen (the 4-Gap would be between the Right Guard and Right Tackle), the "double" tag (as in "34 Double") lets the Right Tackle and Right Guard know they are working together in the double team.  However, we are sure to emphasize to the ball-carrier that we are not looking for "gaps," "holes" or areas of daylight to run between.  We "run to darkness" and into the murky depths of their offensive line shield.  Back to X-Men, I was most pleased with the footwork of those who got in the drill, as well as them understanding the "if you want in, get in" approach of our practices.  Quit raising your hand, asking for permission, volunteering to do the task; if you want in the drill, then get in the drill.  The mindset seems to be changing from standing and waiting, to taking what you want. It's certainly what we're encouraging.  And the fighting back and forth in warmups (Battle Buddies) is showing positive effect in their getting salty with each other.  The concern with X-Men (at the younger levels) is kids wanting to focus on using the X as the weapon, at the expense of using their feet.  The footwork was good (which is mandatory in X-Men).  I emphasized what I need from their footwork, but I have yet to use a ladder and that's a key piece of equipment for me.  Hopefully, we'll have that by today.

I'm not impressed with anyone's physical talent; this is probably the "most average" group I've had in all my years of coaching.  But on the plus side, there are many who've never played before so we're fortunate in having so many kids who are blank slates and can be taught how we want them to learn our approach.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The team next to us (9u) is focusing on Spurrier's "Fun and Gun" offense.  When asked what blocking scheme he was planning to use with it, he replied, "I haven't gotten to that yet." 🤔 😆 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

The team next to us (9u) is focusing on Spurrier's "Fun and Gun" offense.  When asked what blocking scheme he was planning to use with it, he replied, "I haven't gotten to that yet." 🤔 😆 

--Dave

Some of us are just built differently, I suppose. Whenever someone asks me what I think about this offense or the other, my first response is "how do you block it?"

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

I’m all for getting a kid that’s coachable and figuring out the rest. A runner is great, but footwork is even more important. I don’t care if a kid looks like he could win the throwing portion of the punt, pass, and kick competition if his attitude isn’t a fit.

Right now the kid that looks best for us is a kid that has been seeing a “QB guru” for over a year now trying to become a QB even though he’s more of a LB type kid. Parents seemed determined to spend money to buy his way into being a QB. I will say looks pretty good throwing the ball, but he struggled as a backup QB last year with nerves.

I guess I was hoping you or someone would have a way to try to figure out how a kid will react when the bullets start to fly🤪

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seth54

I guess I was hoping you or someone would have a way to try to figure out how a kid will react when the bullets start to fly🤪

"Teaching" confidence can be a tricky thing because you don't know just how insecure a kid may be.  I had a conversation with a father last night before practice about how insecure his son is.  (The father was informing me of this; I had no idea.). Two keys that work for us is "making a big deal" over the little stuff. He can chew gum and walk at the same time? "Incredible!  That's the best I've ever seen it!"  He can fasten his own chin strap?  "Fantastic!  These are the team leaders we're going to need!"  The other key is far more important and that's how you treat him when he makes a mistake.  I've seen countless coaches ruin players (of all ages) by tearing them down and by doing so making the rest of the team fearful to make a mistake.  We don't coach that way.  We are constantly pointing out how close they are to getting it right, but more importantly establishing a relationship where they feel comfortable with us when they make a mistake.  Whether it's smiling at them when we talk to them about the interception they threw, or putting an arm around their shoulder and giving them the answer to why they missed that block.

Communication is not only in what you say but how you say it.  Children are especially sensitive to how you are talking to them, regardless of what you are saying to them.  At high school, players are not as sensitive to this but I've still seen coaches ruin their kids by talking to them in ways that even adults would not tolerate.  

Your task is to create a relationship with all of your players but especially your QB since you are giving him the keys to the car.  That may entail spending extra time with him outside of practice, whether it's taking him and a group of players to play putt-putt or paint ball, or making sure you talk to him on the phone during the Sunday Night Phone Call.  And if he's putting more pressure on himself, tell him that you see that and understand that he wants to be great, to always finish first, to make top grades, etc., however he also needs to relax because he's already got all the tools to be a really good football player.  While you can't undo the kind of pressure he gets from his parents at home, you can make football practice and his time with you a respite.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: