Notifications
Clear all

First Practice Yesterday

Page 3 / 4

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @seth54

Right now the kid that looks best for us is a kid that has been seeing a “QB guru” for over a year now trying to become a QB even though he’s more of a LB type kid. Parents seemed determined to spend money to buy his way into being a QB.

I had one kid who saw a QB guru. Didn't help us in 8th grade, but was quite good as a freshman. My question is if I want to talk to the professional QB coach to see what my player was taught, will the QB guru charge me?

I guess I was hoping you or someone would have a way to try to figure out how a kid will react when the bullets start to fly🤪

Send a lot of bullets his way until they no longer bother him?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Practice yesterday was Dynamics, Blocking Progression, Backwards Bear Crawls, 10-Yard Fight.  Continued with players jumping in the drills, as opposed to taking turns.  They understand this is the determining approach to who plays, and who watches from the sidelines.  We split the team in half to teach the blocking progressions so more players could get work.  Header worked with half and the I worked with the other half.  The more comfortable they become, the more aggressive they get.  I didn't know that we had any linemen from eye-balling them, but we've got six now so far.  Don't know who will be where yet, but getting a pretty good idea.  What we don't have are players who are talented backfield runners.  10-Yard Fight reveals this time after time.  Usually, our repetition of coaching emphasis is more on the linemen than the backs simply because the backs are more talented athletes.  Uh....not this year.  I have always hated the "woe is me" lament of coaches who complain about their lack of size, talent, experience, etc.  I'm just glad that I have the most amount of coaching experience I've ever had, in order to coach this group.  Dunno how far we'll get.  But this time, it's going to take everything I've got.  And I really don't have much to give because of outside responsibilities and such; which is why I refused to be a header this season.  On the other hand, you can't really be good at this unless you are all in.  Conflict and conundrum.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

@coachdp 

This is a great post. I’ve seen something similar on this board before, either by you or one of the other coaches. I really try to implement this over the top emphasis on the positives into my coaching. I definitely think that’s what these young kids need.

Ironically, the one kid I probably need to do more of this with his my own son. I even gave this advice to my best friend, who is an experienced high school coach but is now going through the pains of coaching his own son and youth. I told him stop teaching technique like you’re teaching the high school kids and just look for something to congratulate him on. Talk about giving the advice to someone that I struggle with myself. 

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co 

This is year two of this kid working with this “guru,” so maybe some of the lessons are starting to become second nature and able to be applied in real time. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@gumby_in_co 

This is year two of this kid working with this “guru,” so maybe some of the lessons are starting to become second nature and able to be applied in real time. 

Not entirely sure how I feel about these private coaches. I'm not threatened by them at all, so that's not it. 

On the one hand, I really applaud a kid who wants to work outside of his team to improve. We all love that.

On the other, is it the kid who wants it, or Mom/Dad?

On one hand, a private coach often has more specialized knowledge about a position like QB than I have and is giving the kid 1 on 1 attention.

On the other hand, I am wiliing to meet with any kid for free and a lot of these guys are hustlers.

I have an inherent distrust of anyone who makes a living or supplements their income through youth sports. That said, unless I know something first hand and specific about a private coach, I would never discourage a parent from using one. It's your money . . .

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I have an inherent distrust of anyone who makes a living or supplements their income through youth sports. That said, unless I know something first hand and specific about a private coach, I would never discourage a parent from using one. It's your money . . .

Imagine the $$$ USA Football has made off their shysterisum over the last 10-12 years. Im not saying their certifications and added info does not have value. It does. Im saying if the NFL was truly behind all this to deflect poor PR away from them....it should all be 100% free. The NFL nets $8B a year so what gives? 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

No practice yesterday.  Rained out.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I really try to implement this over the top emphasis on the positives into my coaching. I definitely think that’s what these young kids need.you’re teaching the high school kids and just look for something to congratulate him on. Talk about giving the advice to someone that I struggle with myself. 

If you want kids' attention, then talk TO them ABOUT them.  

If you want them to digest it, well..."a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @mahonz

Imagine the $$$ USA Football has made off their shysterisum over the last 10-12 years. Im not saying their certifications and added info does not have value. It does. Im saying if the NFL was truly behind all this to deflect poor PR away from them....it should all be 100% free. The NFL nets $8B a year so what gives? 

I think $25 is too much, but if you give it away, it loses it's value. I think that's true of anything. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

I think $25 is too much, but if you give it away, it loses it's value. I think that's true of anything. 

Leagues wont let you participate without it so there is your value. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So our roster's at 27 now.  The breakdown is 9 have played before, 18 have not.  Of the 9 that have played, 5 were on the 4-4 team from last year.  Even though we are 10u, we are carrying a 9-year-old (despite the fact that we also have a 9u team).  He practiced with them for 1 day, was terrible, and was then told their roster was full.  Dad came to us and asked to play.  Header allowed it.  Installed Power on Saturday.  Pulled with Guard and Tackle.  I know that pulling is one of the Black Arts where you must have unique and special talent but trust me, there is nothing remarkable about this group.  We are trying to get tough and mean, to compensate for other shortcomings.  We have a scrimmage this Saturday. I'm ready to jump off a cliff...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

I'm ready to jump off a cliff...

As my college wrestling coach said, "It's always darkest before the dawn".

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

As my college wrestling coach said, "It's always darkest before the dawn".

No matter.  We play during the day.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

I know that pulling is one of the Black Arts where you must have unique and special talent

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper

I know that pulling is one of the Black Arts where you must have unique and special talent

I have over coached pulling for years.  This year (4th grade) I just showed them the path I want and that's it. Seems to work better.  Now I need to coach them up on what to do when they get there.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: