Notifications
Clear all

First Practice Yesterday

Page 4 / 4

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

Dad came to us and asked to play.  Header allowed it.

Good. Man after my own heart. Mahonz is getting sick of Gumby's little lost puppies.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Dad came to us and asked to play.  Header allowed it.

Good. Man after my own heart. Mahonz is getting sick of Gumby's little lost puppies.

My God. How many puppies does one man really need? 😎

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

My God. How many puppies does one man really need? 😎

27?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

We were down 1 coach last night.  Me and the header out there by ourselves with 27 screetures.  Worked Power with 1st and 2nd team and added the defense.  Since I'm not the header, practice (for me) is like going into a dark room without already knowing where the light switch is.  I drag my hands along the wall feeling for something...  Anyhoos, we have our jamboree scheduled for Saturday.  Unlike the other teams, somehow we have been scheduled for 2 scimmages back-to-back, which is very fortunate.  Everyone else has only 1 scrimmage.  Had the conversation last night with a dad about his lineman-son and why he wasn't a RB.  I don't mind the conversation.  But it's interesting that that parents can be "Forget the reality.  I want what I want and I want it right now" kind of a mindset.  Certainly makes you understand why the child is why he is.  Welp, I don't kowtow to parents anymore than I do with players.  It's just not good business.

On another note, Pop Warner accumulates the report cards for all of our kids.  Of the 27 on the team, only 3 have an "A" average.  I don't think I've ever coached a team where grades were so low.  

On the bright side, there's a high school about an hour away that runs the DW.  They've included me on their Huddle (sic on purpose) account so I can watch and see.  It's a fun and interesting diversion.

Then after practice last night, I got a text from a coaching buddy:  Do you know anyone who would be interested in becoming the head coach at * * Middle School?  

I'm just driving a car with no idea where it's headed.  And when you're a Control Freak, that's a bad, bad thing.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Had the conversation last night with a dad about his lineman-son and why he wasn't a RB.  I don't mind the conversation.  But it's interesting that that parents can be "Forget the reality.  I want what I want and I want it right now" kind of a mindset.  Certainly makes you understand my the child is why he is.  Welp, I don't kowtow to parents anymore than I do with players.  It's just not good business.

I've only had one of those conversations so far. Mom was drunk at the game and showing it. Then, when the team met at Buffalo Wild Wings after the game, she took the opportunity to build on that. She thought I should give her son a chance at QB. The one who was terrified of contact. The one who loudly stated through tears that he "HATES FOOTBALL!!! I ALWAYS HAVE!!!". The one who is being forced to play by her own admission. I simply said, "You're so absolutely wrong that I can no longer have a conversation with you."

I've had kids tell me, "I really want to be QB".

"Why?"

"Because I really want to play QB"

"Why?"

"I don't know"

"Come back to me when you know why you want to play QB"

later . . . "I want to play QB because I think I'd be good at it"

"Do you think you are the best QB on the team?"

"Yes"

"Why do you think that?"

"I don't know"

"Come back to me when you think you know why you're the best QB on the team"

So far, it's ended right there. If a kid wants to play QB and he's willing to come to practice early or stay late, I will do my best to teach him how to play it. No takers so far.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: