Notifications
Clear all

Flag football information needed

CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Coaches,

I am looking for additional information in regards to flag football for 5 and 6 year olds.  Has anyone participated or helped organize that level of play?

Information I am looking for:

Type of equipment used
  Football used
      - Are there special footballs made for Flag or will a K2 ball be acceptable for this age group? I have been reading about a rubber football, any thoughts?
  Playing rules
      - we are thinking of 4,5 or 6 man flag football.
  Field dimensions played on
  Play format

I know its a lot to ask for, but any information offered would greatly help.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

Our league starts off our 6-7's with flag. They play 11 man on HS regulation fields. They use the same football as our team, 8-9's, the K2 or equivalent. As far as equipment, a foam karate style helmet, mouthpiece, cleats, cup and the flags. That's it, other than game uniform.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
pittpete
(@pittpete)
Copper

I coached flag for 2 years.
5-6-7 year olds.
We used a K-2
Regulation sized field
50 was 1st down
8 on 8 with a 5 man line
Only chicken-wing style blocking
No equip. but mouthguards
No kickoffs
Start at 35
Good luck

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

K-2 / flags / mouthpiece.

Any sized field divisible by 20.

Every 20 yards is a new "Belt".... have to move the ball past the next Belt for a first down. So you can have first and 18 or first and 3 or whatever depending on where the ball is. Now all you need is a down marker with no chains.

No Special Teams. Start at the 10 after a score or if the opponent fails on 4th down.

PAT from the 5 is one point...the 10 is two points.

Blocking with extended arms and locked elbows.

All players on O are eligible.

Defense must align 3-5 yards off the football  depending on age and then attacks after the snap.

Coach can be the Center on a knee. ( Really good idea for the younger kids....the game will move along because he can kneel and direct traffic then snap so there is no huddling )

Games are 20 play quarters so you don't need to manage a clock.

25 seconds to snap the football once the ball is set.

Holding....clipping....flag guarding....pass interference....false start....personal foul ( tackling / hands to the face ) .... about covers the penalties.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

Coaches,

I am looking for additional information in regards to flag football for 5 and 6 year olds.  Has anyone participated or helped organize that level of play?

Information I am looking for:

Type of equipment used
  Football used
      - Are there special footballs made for Flag or will a K2 ball be acceptable for this age group? I have been reading about a rubber football, any thoughts?
  Playing rules
      - we are thinking of 4,5 or 6 man flag football.
  Field dimensions played on
  Play format

I know its a lot to ask for, but any information offered would greatly help.

We did away with NFL Flag due to cost and just did everything oursleves.  I think we got pants and a jersey for 20 bucks and had the coaches on the next game ref the games before them.

K-2 ball
Everyone on 7 on 7 and less is eligible for a pass
Have to at least pass 3 times before crossing the midfield line, only allowed one run befor and after the midfield line
stuff like that

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

5 on 5

- All receivers Eligible
- No Blocking - may only set stationary screens.
- 50 Yard Field, Take possession on your 5 yard line, 4 Downs to pass midfield, 4 Downs to score.
- Turnover on Downs your side of the field ball moved to opponents 5 yard line, Opponents side of field take possession at the spot.
- QB may not run - QB defined as player who takes snap.
- Rush must come from 7 Yards Deep, anyone aligned within 7 Yards off LOS may not cross till hand-off occurs.
- 7 second pass clock on QB.
- All forward passes must be across LOS.
- No Laterals beyond LOS (Hitch & Lateral illegal).
- No Run Zone 5 yards out from Mid Field and 5 yards out from EndZone...must pass in these areas.
- Center may only take a "wrapped" hand off, can't turn back to Defense and take the hand off.

Rule Change for last season, QB could run if rushed.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the flag league...

I spent the last two seasons coaching 5 and 6 year old flag...it was 8 on 8, 5 on the line with the Ends eligible and 3 backs. The object was to teach them about the game and get them ready to enter tackle.

We used a K-2 ball...mouth guards and flags...

We played on an 80 yard field and played by football rules  ;D

there were exceptions, downfield blocking was not allowed, the Center could not be covered, the A gaps had to be empty, the player receiving the snap was not allowed to run in the A gaps, etc....

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze

I coached flag for 2 years.  We start with age 4-5 (theoretically K and older pre-K).
Mouth piece, practice pants, flags.
Center uncovered
No restrictions on blocking
5 man line
10 plays per quarter, alternating possession each quarter
K2 ball
50x25 field

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
Share: