Football Basics - B...

Notifications

Football Basics - Book or Video Suggestions  

RSS

illinoisguy
(@illinoisguy)
Copper
February 6, 2020 8:34 am  

My son will be playing tackle football for the first time this coming fall (7th grade) and I want to teach him the basics beforehand.  Ideally I am looking for a good book or video to help.   I want to teach him things like all the positions (what they do, their responsibilities, etc) rules of the game, formations of both offense and defense, basic strategies, proper techniques (like how to snap a football, how to block, how to tackle, etc).  Any suggestions?

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 2:37 pm  

https://books.google.com/books/about/Youth_Football_Skills_Drills.html?id=tKL14XeeSBwC

The Tom Bass book should be solid.  I have his NFL book and it makes for interesting reading.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 2:43 pm  

Other than videos which teach a specific system or schematic, I'm not familiar with any vids that provide a generic overview of the sport.  I'd imagine that your son should already know the game from a child's viewpoint and since he's playing and NOT coaching, that should suffice.

Actually, Wikipedia has a pretty good breakdown of the game:

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 2:46 pm  

As far as the other books that are aimed at youth coaching (and thus, the basics), it's hard for me to find something that doesn't make me grit my teeth after only reading a coupla pages.  That being said, don't let my lack of endorsement influence you from not buying a book.  If it helps you with the basic overview, then that's a good thing.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 2:57 pm  

I peeked at this one.  It seems to have enough usable info that could be helpful, despite the fact that the author shills for the AYF.  The section on "Communicating as a Coach" is worthwhile, as most coaches behave as if communication skills aren't important in being able to teach effectively.

":[349,499]" rel="nofollow" >

}" />

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 2:58 pm  

What it comes down to is this; the more info you have as a dad (from reading these coaching books), the more knowledge you can pass to your son, even if you have no interest in coaching.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: