Notifications
Clear all

Fresh Perspectives

Page 1 / 5

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I want to hear from some of you who haven't posted, or don't post often. If you're a lurker, or if you just don't post much, this invitation is for you.

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why?

If you are planning on staying the course, what does this mean and why are you doing it?

• How competitive is your team?
  • What is your competition like?
  • What drives you crazy?
  • What makes it worthwhile?
  • What offense are you running and why?
  • What defense are you running and why?
  • What is your approach to special teams?
  • What makes you stand out from your peers?
  • What is your philosophy?

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart?  Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- Coach Gumby

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

mahonz and Coyote liked
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I want to hear from some of you who haven't posted, or don't post often. If you're a lurker, or if you just don't post much, this invitation is for you.

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why?

If you are planning on staying the course, what does this mean and why are you doing it?

• How competitive is your team? Pretty Competitive, we have only lost 4 games over the past 3 seasons, won two "ships"
  • What is your competition like? Last season, really only 1 team could compete with us, some was coaching, some was their Jimmies...
  • What drives you crazy? Too many things to list, but mainly, stoooopid people.
  • What makes it worthwhile? The kids progressing and seeing those light bulb moments.
  • What offense are you running and why? A Pistol Spread, because we have the horses to do it.
  • What defense are you running and why? Last season, we ran a mix of JJ's 33 and Jack's 63...next season, we hope to run the Killer Bee.
  • What is your approach to special teams? We spend time on it...it can lose you games or it can win you games.
  • What makes you stand out from your peers? Attention to detail.
  • What is your philosophy? I have lots of philosophies 🙂 but in regard to this, Anything worth doing is worth doing well, and there are more important things happening here than the scoreboard 🙂

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart?  Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. 

- Coach Gumby

Okay, I'll go first...I have not been very active here...just been so much going on...going to try and be better about it...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@spidermac

Okay, 2 follow up questions:

1) Why the Pistol. It's an offense that I just never "got", especially at the youth level. What does it give you to have a QB at 5 yards and a TB at 8-10?  I mainly ask because I can't recall ever struggling to stop a pistol team. I think a lot of that is about a guy whose favorite college team runs it, so he "installs" the formation. 4 losses in 3 seasons means you are doing something right. 

2) Why change defenses with the success you've had? 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

@spidermac

Okay, 2 follow up questions:

1) Why the Pistol. It's an offense that I just never "got", especially at the youth level. What does it give you to have a QB at 5 yards and a TB at 8-10?  I mainly ask because I can't recall ever struggling to stop a pistol team. I think a lot of that is about a guy whose favorite college team runs it, so he "installs" the formation. 4 losses in 3 seasons means you are doing something right. 

2) Why change defenses with the success you've had? 

Lar is asking my questions....

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

@coachdp @gumby_in_co

Well, I am glad you asked 🙂

Pistol, we actually have the QB at 3-4 yards and the deep back (we call him F) at 4-5 yards, although last fall, we had snapping issues for most of the season, so the depth varied wildly depending upon the Center, we intend on training up a new Center this season, hopefully one who a) actually wants to play there and b) who can be more consistent. I have 3 boys who I know are capable of a consistent snap, and the two boys we used last season (the one who taught me he actually had control over whether or not he played there and the one who replaced him who was better, but still had brain farts with his technique at least a few times a game).

Okay, so let me defend the pistol, the way we run it...the 3 yards gives the QB time to "look" at things, whether it is a run or a pass, and it gives him depth straight away on pass plays. With the snap and the shallow depth of the F, run plays hit quick, which makes things easier on the offensive line, and actually allows them to get to the second level more often than not. There is a lot of movement in our offense, both pre and post snap, motioning receivers across the formation, pulling guards and tackles, QB booting after the hand off. And our multiple "formations" allow us to move the defense where we want to in order to run the ball where they are not...if they do not honor trips and empty sets, we simply kill the play at the line and call a pass play to where we have the numbers advantage. We have boys who can catch, a QB who can throw and run and the oline can protect (when they don't take a play off). 

We threw the ball 44 times last season, and were sacked only 3 times, threw 2 picks...259 passing yards (about 6 yards per attempt). That said, our completion percentage was not as good as I would have liked, only 39%...a lot of that was receivers getting behind the defense and stopping, as if to say "hey, I am behind the defense, that means I am open, you should throw me the ball" 😛 and the ball would promptly sail over their head. One of the reasons we are doing spring is to clean that stuff up. We still want to run the ball, run first offense...we had 1300 yards rushing at about 9 yards per attempt, and by far our best running play was G/T counter...pulling lineman...something else we will work on in the spring is getting better at running the ball, I want Trap and Wham this season.

Killer Bee...quite frankly, again, because we have the horses (I think) to run it. The schematics of the defense are brilliant, Clark did a great job on that defense...why do I want to change, because teams were starting to figure out how to block the 33 last season, getting blockers onto the back 5...schematically, it is now the back 7 with the KB, going to be tougher for any offense to get that blocked. If it turns out that I do not have the horses to run the KB, we will run Jacks 63, which plays very similarly to the KB, Clark acknowledges he "borrowed" concepts from that defense for his. I think part of the issues we started seeing with the 33, was we only had 3 other teams in our age group, so familiarity...including the playoffs, we played one team 4 times and another 3 times. The KB alignment rules for the defensive backs and OLBs do not really lend themselves to teams "spreading" us out...where the 33 and the 63 have that schematic weakness...

How'd i do? 😛

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

If I may clarify a bit.  Pistol does not have the Backs behind the QB they are usually on either side.  Pistol QB depth typically 4-5 yards However, I remind folks that the Venerable I formation had the TB at 6 yards deep.  

The advantage to Pistol, at least in my book for Youth Level, is the QB is already at the equivalent of a 3 step drop.  This "SHOULD" be highly advantageous for the short and intermediate Passing game as well as enhancing his ability to Move.   Mini Roll Outs, Waggles,   I suggest that you predetermine IZ or OZ for your running game, then establish the "Read Defender".   Can have Multiple Formations and runs 6 simple plays from same. 

Just my thoughts.   Dusty   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @youth-coach

The advantage to Pistol, at least in my book for Youth Level, is the QB is already at the equivalent of a 3 step drop.  This "SHOULD" be highly advantageous for the short and intermediate Passing game as well as enhancing his ability to Move.   Mini Roll Outs, Waggles

Scott is correct.  However, what I see from most youth teams is that the snap is inconsistent and so slow, low, high, etc.  that the time saved in a 3-step drop is lost by the QB trying to gather the ball.  I like 4-yard depth for the QB in the Double Wing when he's a solid threat to run.  He's in a better position for QB Power or QB Sweep, and is at a good depth for running Counter.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

@youth-coach

We have 3 different backfield sets...single with the F behind the QB, a two back set with the H flanking the QB, and another two back with the H and F flanking the QB. Well, 4 I guess, we do empty it out as well...

As far as the "base" play goes, it's Veer, for a lack of better terms, reading the unblocked DEMLOS (which is generally the DE for us)...QB rides the F and reads the DE, if he plays the dive then he pulls it, if he squats or widens, then he gives it, and regardless of whether he gives it or pulls it, he always runs "outside" the DE. Thus far, we have not actually had him read the DE, we call whether he gives or pulls, based on what we see on scout film, and then, what the DE is doing during the game...one of the things we will do this spring is start repping that read in practice. When it doubt, it is always a give...but, the hope is, he actually reads it correctly so he doesn't have to doubt 🙂

Except for ISO, we always leave one of the DE's unblocked on run plays...ah, check that, on Counter we cut the backside End with the H back...and we will also block him on Trap I guess too, but we don't have Trap yet...

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

@coachdp

As I mentioned, we had snap issues all season long...and it did affect the run game more so than the pass game...again, with the spring, we hope to get those reps in and identify a new Center before we even get to fall camp...last set of boys, our Center was "rock solid", and the offense hummed...

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I haven't posted much for a few years. My coaching life has changed a lot since I was active on here.

Last night, I held my first staff meeting as the new freshman HC at the school I have with the last 3 years. I spent the first 2 years as an unpaid volunteer assistant. I had been a youth HC for the previous 5 years. I was elated for the opportunity to crack into coaching HS football and I thought I was prepared to be an assistant coach again. Coming from the youth game, the un-paid part of being a volunteer coach was no biggie...being an assistant proved to be WAY more difficult than anticipated. 

My ego almost got me fired several times. The "soon to be" new varsity HC saved my skin when his boss had already decided I was done. I am 45 years old and have been self employed since I was 22. I had been a HC for the better part of my young coaching career. In my world, if something was broken, I fixed it and the concept of asking permission was completely foreign. I was very comfortable leading down the chain of command but I had no idea how to lead up the chain of command. My good intentions and solutions came across as arrogant and alienating. As silly as it sounds, I had to learn how to be a good employee for the first time at age 45. I'm still learning but if any of you decide to make that jump, I can tell you what NOT to do 😀 

Our Fall 2020 season starts in 12 days. Everything I run is dictated by the program.

I'm learning a new offense that is using Air Raid concepts for the passing game with 3 run schemes. We have been a spread RPO offense the last 2 years. 

I'm learning a new defense that has 4-3 roots but is really a 4-2-5

I'm also coaching QB's for the first time in my career. I have been an OL coach up until now.

If I learn anything over the next 2 month that I think will help any of you guys I will share.

Thanks,

Josh

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

• How competitive is your team?

Define "competitive".  We seek to win every challenge we have, during practice, during games and throughout life.

• What is your competition like?

On field competition?  I hesitate to answer this question because everything is relative.  I might think that our competition is really pretty decent, but if I left this area and traveled south, I might discover that none of the teams in my area could score a single touchdown against teams down south.  Still, with that said, our conference had teams that went to nationals.  During inter-conference competition, we decimated other conferences in play.  I would still say that the majority of teams we played against were not well coached.  I think that maybe less than 10% of teams were run very well, had great coaching and made great competition.

• What drives you crazy?

From a football perspective...parents, administrators, fundraising.

• What makes it worthwhile?

Seeing kids advance, progress, discover things about themselves through challenges and adversity...also, learning things about myself.

• What offense are you running and why?

DTDW because it's the best offense ever developed.

• What defense are you running and why?

A bastardized killer-bee.  Because it's the best defense every developed.

• What is your approach to special teams?

Focus 90%+ on onsides kicks and onside kick recovery.  Have a punt installed just in case you need it, which you usually won't.

• What makes you stand out from your peers?

A willingness to learn and improve.

• What is your philosophy?

Football is a stupid-ass game that has very little practical use in life...but we can use the game to each other lessons.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @spidermac

--Good.  Now I get to argue with Chris. 😉 

if they do not honor trips and empty sets, we simply kill the play at the line and call a pass play to where we have the numbers advantage. We have boys who can catch, a QB who can throw and run and the oline can protect (when they don't take a play off). 

we had snapping issues for most of the season

our completion percentage was not as good as I would have liked, only 39%.

--What difference does it make if you have numbers, yet had "snapping issues for MOST of the season," and completed 39% of your throws?  How does the means justify the end?  I can't think of how to justify a 39% completion rate in passing as a success.

We still want to run the ball, run first offense...we had 1300 yards rushing at about 9 yards per attempt, and by far our best running play was G/T counter...pulling lineman...something else we will work on in the spring is getting better at running the ball, I want Trap and Wham this season.

--9 yards per rushing attempt and 39% completion on your throws?  I think I'd play to my strength and run the football.

let me defend the pistol, the way we run it...the 3 yards gives the QB time to "look" at things, whether it is a run or a pass, and it gives him depth straight away on pass plays.

--I don't want my 10-year-old QB "looking at things," making a read or determining what to do.  I'm banking that my experience and knowledge is greater than any 10-year-old, and as such the offensive decisions are mine and not his.  I'm not saying reads can't be taught.  But I'm guaranteeing that my knowledge is greater than his, so I'll spend that practice time in more productive endeavors.

--QB-focused offenses require so much pressure, attention and focus on that position that teams that are without that talent, or lose that player are more vulnerable than teams that share the wealth amongst their running backs.  I know you said you threw the ball 44 times on the season (which isn't a great deal over the course of the season), but I wonder how much investment of time, focus and energy on that singular position and aspect of the game it took(?)

--In 2007 (ages 9-11), we threw 55 passes (10-game season), completing 29 (52.7%) with 2 interceptions and 7 touchdowns (10 TDs if you count the 3 hook & ladder TDs we scored).  What we were doing was very basic and simple.  There was no "check with me," audibles, changing the play at the LOS stuff.  It was practiced as straightforward as a run play, yet those 26 incompletions and 2 interceptions did us no good.  But I can think of two games (both post-season) where our passing was responsible for winning the game (and in both cases, it was a hook & ladder for a TD on the final play of the 1st Half).  So I guess my point is, the evil isn't the passing game, but how much time and focus you want to invest in your QB when there's other things you do better.  In summary, if you can't complete better than 39% of your passing, then don't.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @seabass

In my world, if something was broken, I fixed it and the concept of asking permission was completely foreign. I was very comfortable leading down the chain of command but I had no idea how to lead up the chain of command. My good intentions and solutions came across as arrogant and alienating. As silly as it sounds, I had to learn how to be a good employee for the first time at age 45. I'm still learning but if any of you decide to make that jump, I can tell you what NOT to do 😀 

^ This.  Bingo.  Game, set and match.  My high school story to a T.

Our Fall 2020 season starts in 12 days. Everything I run is dictated by the program.

I'm learning a new offense that is using Air Raid concepts for the passing game with 3 run schemes. We have been a spread RPO offense the last 2 years. 

I'm learning a new defense that has 4-3 roots but is really a 4-2-5

I'm also coaching QB's for the first time in my career. I have been an OL coach up until now.

If I learn anything over the next 2 month that I think will help any of you guys I will share.

--We do much the same.  And I spend the majority of my time wondering why we do it this way.  With the cold weather we're in now, the header says he wants to become more run-oriented.  I have my fingers crossed.  We'll see...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

@coachdp

I like arguing with you Dave, it makes me think...and thinking is good... 🤔 😀 

Okay, 39%, I said too low...we are going to get better....I believe we were so low because we didn't have the spring to work on this stuff..."keep running you routes", "run your routes at full speed, even if you are not getting the ball", "spacing, spacing, spacing, one grenade will kill you all", etc....and I think I also mentioned that the snap issues affected the running more so than the passing 🙂

In that 39% were moments of absolute brilliance...an underthrown pass (terrible decision to throw it in the first place) and my Z turned into a defensive back to stop the ball from being picked...contested catches by my Y, defenders hanging off of him, but his concentration on the ball allowed him to come down with it. Those same catches by Y, my QB put the ball on him allowing him to make those catches...

In the 61% there were LEARNING OPPORTUNITES 🙂 (argue with the opportunity to learn and get better 😉 ) My tackle, you always have the outside rusher, we don't need a double on the DT (QB hit in the face as he is throwing). QB, you have a free rusher in your face, don't stand there and get hit, you are not a tree, move your dang feet. My H, yes, you were behind the defense...keep running your route, and you are behind the defense with the football, probably scoring. Catch the ball before you run (too many drops to open receivers or receivers that were thrown open)

39% vs 9 yards per rush...okay, lets go 9 yards per rush attempt and 6 yards per pass attempt...I still have Double Wing blood...all I need is 3 yards...but let's toss in another number...15.2 per completion...when I bring that completion percentage up (and we will) what will be the return? All that said...we still ran the ball 146 times...guess where a majority of the practice time went. We had 4 passing TD and 27 rushing TDs and 1 special teams TD and 2 defensive TDs. So, 44 attempts, 4 TDs, 9% of the time we dropped back, we scored. 146 rushes, 27 TDs, 18% scoring rate.  I know there is some sort of math in here that says if my completion pct went up, my scoring rate would go up as well (another receiver was so wide open in the end zone, he dropped a TD, we actually ran the same exact play right after it and scored 🙂 ).

And I don't disagree, my eyes are more experienced than his eyes, and I would say that on 37 of the 44 attempts, we told the QB who was going to be open and who we wanted him to throw the ball too, and just a guess here, we were correct 95% of the time...but, that said, we want the QB to get better at his craft, we want the oline to get better at their craft, we want the receivers to get better at their craft...whether they we are running the ball or throwing it.

We actually lost our QB to a turned ankle in week 1, and the offense was absolutely not the same without him...we asked him to throw the ball once in that game, and he made a horrible decision that thankfully was dropped by the defender, so the rest of the game, we ran the football. Like I said, we run first...our run game sets up the pass game...when we see an 8 man front, they are not honoring someone on the perimeter, because we have been shoving the football down their throats and the coach overreacts to stop it...guess what, we are getting the ball out fast to whoever they are not honoring...because we cannot block 8 with 5...so we audible to a fast screen to whoever they are not covering...Double Wing thought process, give us the Edge or the Wedge...just a little different in how we get the ball to the edge, and a little different on who we run between the tackles.

We are going to get better at passing, one of the reasons we are going to do spring...we are also going to get better at running the ball...one of the reasons we are going to do spring 🙂

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why? Spend more time on STs. We lost a tough game against the 1 seed by 4 points and we gave up a KR for a TD.

• How competitive is your team? JYFA D1. We finished as the 4th seed last season. Lost to the 1 seed by 4. Beat the 2 seed by 14. Lost to the 3 seed by 4. Handled everyone below us no problem.
  • What is your competition like? Tough
  • What drives you crazy? Turnovers
  • What makes it worthwhile? The relationships with my players
  • What offense are you running and why? We are traditionally a DW team. Ran SW last year after we lost our QB.
  • What defense are you running and why? 4-4
  • What is your approach to special teams? Kick it away from their stud lol. Never Punt
  • What makes you stand out from your peers? We are a Power run team. Every team in our division is 2x2 spread. 
  • What is your philosophy? Pound the rock and waste the clock.

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart?  Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. Probably but thats ok. 

- Coach Gumby

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: