Clear all

Fresh Perspectives

Page 4 / 5

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @youth-coach

Special Teams Rule # 1

Never kick directly to the return man.  The Sideline is your friend.  

Several Years back. We scored with 20 seconds left go up by 2 points, 20-18 during the last game of a Winless season.  I tell the Header to kick the ball out of bounds and make them score against our defense.  He tells me I'm F-ing Nuts and kicks it deep.  We lost 24-20.   

Happens more often than you know! 

If you kick off out of bounds, the opponents do have the option to make you kick again, 5 yards back.  A lot of teams pay no attention to that option, though.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Posted by: @bob-goodman

Special Teams Rule # 1

Several Years back. We scored with 20 seconds left go up by 2 points, 20-18 during the last game of a Winless season.  I tell the Header to kick the ball out of bounds and make them score against our defense.  He tells me I'm F-ing Nuts and kicks it deep.  We lost 24-20.   

If you kick off out of bounds, the opponents do have the option to make you kick again, 5 yards back.  A lot of teams pay no attention to that option, though.

And the punishment for Kicking it out of bounds, again, is?? 

Make me Re Kick you'll get the same result!  Or better yet we recover!  🙂  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @bob-goodman

Special Teams Rule # 1

And the punishment for Kicking it out of bounds, again, is?? 

Make me Re Kick you'll get the same result!  Or better yet we recover!  🙂  

So you're really not saying kick out of bounds, you're saying kick onside, and if it goes out of bounds that's acceptable.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I want to hear from some of you who haven't posted, or don't post often. If you're a lurker, or if you just don't post much, this invitation is for you.

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why?

I resigned my team just before we were scheduled to start practices and just after my wife, Mary, was diagnosed with cancer. She needs me more than football right now.

I have a very strong feeling that I will be offered the middle school team back in the fall or asked to move up to JV or an assistant position on the high school varsity staff. There is also a youth organization close that offered me a HC position in the fall that I might pursue. I will assess my options but intend to coach football in the fall.

If you are planning on staying the course, what does this mean and why are you doing it?

Stay the course!  Row the Boat!  Focus on the important stuff and not bother with the other crap because I want to give my kids the best chance to win on the field and send them away with an attitude that they can win in life.

• How competitive is your team?

We usually finish in the middle of our league standings but we compete week in and week out with everybody.  Over the 4 years I have been HC, we have a winning record against everyone except the two bullies in our district.  Bully #1 has not lost (they have sent more players to the NFL than they have district losses over the years).  Bully #2 has not lost to anyone besides Bully #1.

• What is your competition like?

Everyone has at least twice as many players as we do.  They are always much, much faster than we are.  They are usually bigger than we are.  They all have feeder youth leagues, which we don't.  Besides that, they play 13-14 year old 7th and 8th graders the same as we do.

• What drives you crazy?

Laziness and reckless horse play.

• What makes it worthwhile?

When a teenager rushes at you and bear hugs you in Walmart while yelling, "Coach!", and it takes you a second to realize that this was the 6 year old running back who ran the wrong way to score a safety for the other team in the 1st game you ever won as a coach 26-2 ten years earlier.  

• What offense are you running and why?

My single wing based offense.  I am running it because I believe it is the best offense.  If I thought another was better, I would be changing to that one.

• What defense are you running and why?

Depends on what players I have and what age.  I have been thinking about a 4-4/6-2 defense spread wide playing outside in similar to how Dave Potter explains defense with cover 3 coverage.  Then against spread teams I plan on moving a LB back to safety and copying the quarters coverage from the Killer Bee.

• What is your approach to special teams?

When you have the slowest team speed every week, covering kicks in open space is tough so we don't bother.  We haven't practice a punt in five years and haven't practice deep kick offs ever.  If I have a kid who can reliably field punts and advance the ball, I will put him back there while everyone else plays base defense.  If I don't have that kid, we play base defense on punts and let the ball roll where it wants to.  I put my best 11 hands people on kick returns and practice fielding on side kicks more than any other special teams.  

We attempted a field goal one time in 2011.  We had mercy ruled a team in our league playoffs and the rule stated that we must kick the ball on 4th.  We were trying to run out the clock and got to 4th down at our own 15 yard line.  I didn't see the point in punting it into the end zone.  One of my coaches suggested kicking a field goal so I called time out, showed my team how to line up and picked a holder and a kicker.  It would have went through the goal but it hit my center in the back of the head, bounced straight up and didn't get there.  My kids were still laughing about the missed field goal fiasco so hard that they let that other team run the ensuing kickoff back for their only TD of the season.  The refs who wanted to continue running the clock in mercy rule flagged the other team for holding and was in the process of taking their TD off the score board when I finally got their attention and declined the penalty so they could keep there TD.  The refs got pissed at me so we went ahead and scored again on the next play to put it back in mercy rule and run the clock out.

• What makes you stand out from your peers?

I don't know if I stand out from peers or not.  I just do my own thing.

• What is your philosophy?

Emphasize what you are good at.  Mitigate or negate what you are bad at.

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart? 

I don't care if they are.

Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- Coach Gumby

Semper Fi, Brother!

mahonz and Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Prayers and good karma to You, Mary and your family!  Cancer Sucks! 

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @32wedge

diagnosed with cancer.

Prayers are ascending for Mary.   Lost both my parents (mom, age 54, Dad, age 58) and little sister (age 42) to cancer (colon, brain, stomach respectively).  Be with your wife, whether its terminal or treatable.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Greetings Coaches,

Since Nathan has put his response forward, I figure its Ok if I do as well.   This has been an interesting exercise. 

If you are planning on staying the course, what does this mean and why are you doing it?

• We’ve been very successful doing what we do, if they can’t stop us, why would we stop ourselves?
  • We intend to be more selective in the future regarding parents who want to help. We were already kinda selective, and not had much in the way of problems in the past, but the parental coaches tend to have a ‘close is good enough for this age, or this kid’ attitude, which causes important details to get lost.  And/ or, advocating too much for their own kid.
  • Only real changes we’re contemplating are on Defense (see comments under “Defense”). I’m intrigued by the Killer Bee.  We’ll be having a coaches meeting soon (had to postpone twice) to review it and see if its something we want to do.  
      • I played against something similar back in the early ‘70’s facing Michigan’s Coach Maskill’s Galesburg-Augusta Rams (8 undefeated seasons, 4 ‘mythical’ state championships in the Pre play-off era).

How competitive is your team? 

• Within our league: Very. 6 straight trips to the championship game (7x in 8yrs for the HC), winning the title the last 4 seasons.  2017 – 2020 season, we’re 34-1 in league games.
  • Outside our League: Pretty competitive. We do 2 cross-league challenges, (except 2020 due to covid) we’re 4-2 in those games – all against the other leagues’ 1st place teams.  2 victories were by two pts (won handily in the other two – they were clueless on facing a Wing T);  1 loss by one pt. The other loss… we didn’t belong on the field with them, but still hung tight into the 4th

What is your competition like?  

• We’ve become the big fish in a small pond.
  • Talent wise: We’re a rec league, we all draft from the same talent pool.  Our consistent winning means we draft last.  Our 1st,  &  3rd title we had a solid roster, but not strongest, in terms of “play-makers”.  The 4th title after the draft, some of the other coaches (as they were licking their chops) wondered if we’d win a game.  
      • Our HC has an eye for talent, I believe we ‘out-draft’ the competition in the mid-rounds, by far.  Our ceiling may not be as high as some teams, but I think our floor is almost always higher despite drafting last.
  • Coaching wise:  The competition is weak (they're the ‘small’ in ‘small pond’), several of our competitors are know-it-alls and so are unlikely to improve.    
      • We coach all of our kids; most the others spend all / most of  their time with their ‘star’ kids and mostly ignore the low-to-no talent kids.  We get more out of our late round picks than anyone else in the league.

What drives you crazy?

• Momma Drama
  • Refs not protecting the Neutral Zone and illegal quick snaps. Our opponents’  O & D lines are regularly lining up in the neutral zone.  And a couple teams thrive on the QB walking up late from the huddle and taking a snap without ever setting. There is a reason those things are illegal.   FWIW, When they play outside our league, they get flagged repeatedly & their parents go nuts thinking they’re getting cheated. When I bring this up, I'm accused of 'majoring in minors'.   

What makes it worthwhile? 

• The kids. I like competing, but it’s really the kids.  When I see a kid's improvement over the course of the season, not just football-wise, but in attitude, maturity, and work ethic, it warms my heart.

What offense are you running and why? 

• Wing-T. I know it, it’s been around long enough it’s got answers. Combines power and misdirection, solid passing game (not that we always have a passer and receiver at the same time).  We prefer a 4 back running attack, and will run End Around when our Ends show ability – so as many as 6 ball carriers.

What defense are you running and why?  

• 6 – 5. More of a 6-4 with a Rover,  Think Split 6 to the short/weak side and WT6 to the wide/strong side.   No FS.   Rover –  mirrors their best RB, or is in sink coverage on their best receiver if DC think it’s a pass.  Rover is pretty much manned up on their Offensive stud.
  • Our former DC brought it in 4 yrs. ago, we were very successful, he was almost telepathic in anticipating the offense. He moved up with his kid, and the HC took back the DC role, staying with the D the last 2 yrs. – though we’ve not been as productive.   HC feels the D is too dependent on the Rover, and considering a change in D.  So we’re going to look at the Killer Bee.

What is your approach to special teams?  

• DON’T put the ball in the hands of their best athlete… in space … with room to run.
  • Never punt unless forced to by the mercy rule (30 pt. lead), and then punt it out of bounds.
  • Always onside kick. 
    • Took some doing to convince the HC of this back in ’15, but finally converted him to not kicking deep. For a while we were getting some resistance from kicker's parents, they want to see their kid's leg being shown off, but they’ve come around.  In fact, we’ve changed the league doing this, last couple seasons, almost no one kicks deep anymore.

What makes you stand out from your peers?

• We go to clinics, read books, scour the internet, pick the brains of our H.S. coaches and forums like this one. Our competition doesn’t.
  • The HC and I make a good team. Not true for most of our competition.  He’s a humble guy with a folksy “Bum Phillips” vibe.  We enjoy watching our kids succeed, but don’t let past success go to our heads.  The level of hubris exhibited by many of the coaches we go up against is exhausting.

What is your philosophy?  

• Coach ‘em UP!
    • Success breeds success; Find what each kid does best, and let him do it, a lot!    Kids bring different abilities to the game, find what they do well and teach them the skills and techniques they need to succeed doing it.   Coach ‘em UP!
    • The game belongs to the kids. Don’t ruin it.  It’s the Jimmys and the Joes, not the X’s and the O’s. Play to their strengths, not their weaknesses.  Coach ‘em UP!
    • Kids thrive on Praise (When it’s honest). Give it publicly, often and loud.  When harsh words are needed, do it privately, quietly.  Don’t tear ‘em down.  Coach ‘em UP!
    • Perfect practice makes perfect: Age-appropriate” does not mean dumbed-down, excusing poor effort, or accepting flawed technique.  It means becoming perfect at what this age group can perfect.  Coach ‘em UP!
This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I want to hear from some of you who haven't posted, or don't post often. If you're a lurker, or if you just don't post much, this invitation is for you.

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why? No major changes, I'd like to incorporate some more motion. I think it might let me utilize a small WB better, rather than ask him to hammer some LB that he's mismatched against. One thing that is also different is my son and I will be moving up from U10 to U12 so I'm sure that will have a few new wrinkles.

• How competitive is your team? 
  • We are a good club. We won our championship last year and making the playoffs is an expectation.
  •  
  •  
  • What is your competition like? 
  • Mixed bag. A lot of the tougher competition is winning on straight talent.
  •  
  •  
  • What drives you crazy? 
  • Daddy ball coaches are my biggest pet peeve
  •  
  •  
  • What makes it worthwhile?
  • I get to spend time with my son. Plus I just love the game
  •  
  •  
  • What offense are you running and why?
  • We are a 2TE I formation offense. Thats what the club has us play, we can add from there, but thats what we start with
  •  
  •  
  • What defense are you running and why? 
  • 5-3 cover 3. Same a previous answer
  •  
  •  
  • What is your approach to special teams?
  • Onsides kicks, only punt in an emergency
  •  
  •  
  • What makes you stand out from your peers? 
  • I think too many coaches have it all figured out. They'd never sign up for a clinic, or even this forum
  •  
  •  
  • What is your philosophy? Fundamentals first. If you teach the kids to block and tackle, you'll be in most youth games. Heck that was pretty much how my High School team was set up. And then you have to make it clear to the kids that you are there for them and that you care for them as people. If you do that, they'll play for you and you'll make great memories for you and the players. Also, this year especially, I learned the power of praise. It can really help a kid struggling with confidence. Seems obvious, but often kids think instruction is criticism, so I work hard to keep the message positive.

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart?  Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- Coach Gumby

Not sure if this is detailed enough, but I'm happy to expound on anything.

Cheers

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@32wedge Nate, man. I wish I had words. I don't normally pray, but I will tonight for you and Mary. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

32wedge and Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @32wedge

my wife, Mary, was diagnosed with cancer. She needs me more than football right now.

I'm sure that's always been true, as well as vice versa.  ❤️ 

32wedge and Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

@gumby_in_co

We find out tomorrow if the surgery got it all or if she has to start chemo. 

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Looks like they got it all.  We are going to see an oncologist but it looks like chemo will be an option instead of a requirement.

Coyote, jtrent64, Seth54 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

@32wedge

Congratulations to your wife on the diagnosis.  I know that had to be a lot of stress for the both of you. 

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Good News! Keeping prayer and good karma headed your way!  

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@32wedge Very relieved, Nate.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5