Notifications
Clear all

Fresh Perspectives

Page 5 / 5

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I want to hear from some of you who haven't posted, or don't post often. If you're a lurker, or if you just don't post much, this invitation is for you.

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why?

If you are planning on staying the course, what does this mean and why are you doing it?

• How competitive is your team?
  • We were 2 seed last season.  Good top end talent.  Not very deep.  We are in a league based on our small towns.  So only available players are kids in our town in our grade.
  • What is your competition like?
  • 3 out of 8 teams were very good in our division.  We beat the 3 seed, 8-6 in Regs, and in OT in Semi's.  Lost to the 1 seed 0-6 in Champ game.
  • What drives you crazy?
  • Talent players who don't give a crap.  We only had 16 kids, and 3 kids were very limited.  Not enough competition to force all kids to work their tail off.
  • What makes it worthwhile?
  • The kids that work hard and love the game, regardless of their talent.  Seeing them succeed, pushing them to get better, and picking them up when they falter.
  • What offense are you running and why?
  • We ran a Pistol/Gun Spread (Similar to MH's Spread).  Zone blocking.  We weren't very effective against average or above average teams.  We learned alot. 
  • Going DC Wing T.  I've been infatuated with it for years.  But too scared to try I guess.  It fits our personnel really well.  We need misdirection and blocking angles to help a smallish OL.
  • What defense are you running and why?
  • Ended up in a 5-4 Defense.  Started in a 353, but realized our deep safety wasn't doing anything for us.  So I played another LB instead.  We played Inverted Cover 2 mostly.  We did have several calls to drop LBs back to Safety for likely pass plays into Cover 3/4.
  • What is your approach to special teams?
  • Onside kick almost exclusively.  Never kick it to their best player in space....
  • What makes you stand out from your peers?
  • Consistency and Innovation.  Introduced Beast to our league 6 years ago.  Now a number of teams in a variety of divisions have some version of it.  This will be my 10th season, only had one non-playoff team.  We went 3-7 with a 6th grade group in '18, same group didn't win a single game in 7th or 8th grade in school ball unfortunately.
  • What is your philosophy?
  • Work Hard.  Play Hard.  Have Fun.  Its something I repeat to the kids year round. 
  • My personal goal each season is to realistically maximize our abilities.  I feel like I have a pretty accurate ability to assess players and push them each to surpass their own limits. We push them, but we do it in a way so that they enjoy the sport.  I want the kids to enjoy the experience.  Learning to be a competitive athlete is an important part of my role as a youth coach.  

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart?  Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- Coach Gumby

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

I been in an out the last couple years do to having domestic stress and a busy work schedule. But im still in the books and studying and researching this Craft of ours. I will be switching our defensive scheme this up coming year and leaving the Odd World. As i have fallen in love with the 4-3 for a variety of reasons. The 1ST being i believe it allows you to concentrate alot more on fundamental defensive football and cut down on schemes. It has all the answers i need plus im board. Were always very competive no matter were i coach. And i believe this will bring some much added juice to our tool box.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

CoachSugg liked
ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

I want to hear from some of you who haven't posted, or don't post often. If you're a lurker, or if you just don't post much, this invitation is for you.

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why?

If you are planning on staying the course, what does this mean and why are you doing it?

• How competitive is your team?
  • What is your competition like?
  • What drives you crazy?
  • What makes it worthwhile?
  • What offense are you running and why?
  • What defense are you running and why?
  • What is your approach to special teams?
  • What makes you stand out from your peers?
  • What is your philosophy?

Are your ideas and thoughts going to get picked apart?  Most certainly (this is, after all an online forum), but so what?  If they are solid, then defend them. If not, you've identified an opportunity for improvement. 

- Coach Gumby

I have jumped back and forth from high school to youth.  We usually win more than we lose.

Last season in youth football, there was not much difference between the the 3rd place team (us) and the 9th place team.

Daddy Ballers, egomaniacs...they're usually one in the same.

The kids.

Air Raid and/or pro style...depends on talent.  Those are the two offenses I have studied the most.

46  It's simple and it stops the run.  Plus, I've studied it the most.

Onside kicks and punt from the shotgun (give the illusion we are going for it) so they don't put anyone back.

I don't think anything stands out other than we pass the ball quite a bit most seasons and play pretty fast.  Also, we platoon.

We're going to make sure every player has an important role, no mpps.  We platoon, we practice fast, and we play fast.  We may not win every game, but we're gonna enjoy ourselves.

ReplyQuote
IMMIRU
(@immiru)
Copper

Posted by: @immiru
What offense are you running and why? At various locations for the past decade True Triple Option out of the flexbone

Ooh.  Fun. I have it stuck in my head that Triple Option is not a good idea at the youth level, but I'd love to run it. I was a Wishbone QB on my HS sophomore team and they wouldn't let me option. They called the play for me, so it wasn't really "option". And thank you for posting. We'd like to hear much more from you.

Here is an example of our playbook from a couple of years ago. We used an Aztec call on inside veer if the QB had a 3 tech read pre-snap.  That call sent the FB into the B gap as a blocker and turned the TO into a keep - pitch read only.  It isn't hard for the middle schoolers to learn but without several coaches to work it and spot for it it becomes very overwhelming to put the team in a position to be successful.  That year we only had one other coach and as awesome as he was I didn't do the team any justice by continuing to run this offense.  It was the 3rd year at the school and because of rezoning we were down to 18-20 players.  (about half the size of the second smallest team in the conference)

MS Flexbone 2019 - YouTube

This post was modified 3 months ago by IMMIRU

ReplyQuote
coachgye
(@coachgye)
Copper

What are you planning on doing differently next season and why? Our organization and league pulled the plug early last year.  I am just hoping for a return to normalcy, good numbers, and back to basics.  I want to run more tempo on offense.

• How competitive is your team? 2017 lost in the first round of state playoffs, 2018 won 3rd place game state, 2019 we were 4-4, should have still made the playoffs.  QB and FS was ejected from a key division game in the 1st quarter.
  • What is your competition like? 50+ teams and 8 divisions.  Most divisions are pretty top heavy
  • What drives you crazy?  We tend to be slow to start practice and often start season only a few good practices in pads.  It's an organization issue.
  • What makes it worthwhile?  Working with the kids, comradery 
  • What offense are you running and why? Double Wing... I look at a lot different systems but I borrow most from Gregory with a few added wrinkles.  I like the power running and Power running.  Our city organization usually has two teams in each age group.  I am usually give the "B" team and DW has proven to be a good equalizer when we are at talent disadvantage. 
  • What defense are you running and why? 3-3-5... I kind of married the 33 stack and 521 stuff to come up with our scheme.  In base lots of A pressure, strong in C gaps, with athletes outside for anything that spills.  Cover 0 or Cover 1 mostly; with go cover three to trips side.
  • What is your approach to special teams?  In our league kick-off and punting is optional.  Nobody punts but a few kick.  We kick more than often and it always an onside.  I usually use a three kicker system.
  • What makes you stand out from your peers? I think I am more organized than most of our coaches in our league.  Other than that I am pretty mild-mannered and laidback. 
  • What is your philosophy? Offense: Run the ball, ball control,  and hopefully get big plays out the counter plays.  Defense: Be aggressive, gap control, force turnovers.

- Coach Gumby

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: