Notifications

Freshmen Football or Pop Warner eligible choice  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 20, 2019 9:14 am  

I was just speaking with a parent who had a kid on the freshmen team this year.  There was one coach for practices and another assistant on game day.

Watched a JV game between 2 local power houses. I had former players on both teams. Dad from one team said that JV doesn't practice as a team, but only act as scout for Varsity. They lost 36-0.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
November 20, 2019 9:17 am  

To me it all depends on the weight lifting program. If the freshman at the school hit the weights hard, the kid staying down & playing Pop Warner will be way behind when he comes in as a sophomore. If the freshman program is kind of a joke, then by all means have em stay in PW.

Few years back we had like 6 kids stay in PW cuz their HS didn’t have a freshman program. While they could have easily played JV, they chose to stay together & play another year of PW. They won their 2nd consecutive championship, then went to HS & did great. Most made varsity the following season as sophomores.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
November 21, 2019 3:23 am  

Depending on how many kids there were on the freshman team, that may not be a problem.  If it's 25-30, I can handle that myself.  It's not my pref, but it's doable.  But generally speaking, you want a ratio of at least 1/10.

--Dave

They had 54 come out this year...

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 21, 2019 4:43 am  

They had 54 come out this year.

With one coach and another who showed on game day?  lol. THAT is a problem.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
November 21, 2019 6:05 am  

With one coach and another who showed on game day?  lol. THAT is a problem.

--Dave

Just stating this for those of you in SE Georgia, if you're ever stuck in this boat, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 21, 2019 5:53 pm  

The 9th program i assist coach for has 50 kids, we have 4 coaches and its still a lot mainly bc im almost always 10 min late due to travel from work.

I advocate pop warner a lot been in it for 10 yrs. My opinion if your jr high program is poorly ran and pop warner is better than go pw. If pw doesnt have a full team or low numbers might be better off in jr high. Either way just play football n have fun.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: