Notifications
Clear all

Friday Night Tykes

Page 1 / 4

Coach Ricks
(@coach-david)
Copper
Topic starter  

The JR Rockets Youth Football team had to deal with some nasty referees in that playoff game.  They were dead wrong in their participation in the game.

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

The JR Rockets Youth Football team had to deal with some nasty referees in that playoff game.  They were dead wrong in their participation in the game.

Probably, but remember that there is editing that happens.  It could be that the producers wanted to have that sort of controversy.  Unless you have full game film (and they rarely show game stuff), you won't know whether it was really as big as it was portrayed. 

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Im the guy that gives refs the benefit of the doubt
I wont let anyone off the hook including myself when the refs make a bad call- part of the game

BUT The Jr Rockets got absolutely- positively JOBBED
It was embarrassingly bad by any standard
Not ONE bad call- a pattern of bad calls over the last minute that handed the game to the other team

The last minute of the game- we saw every second of it
Unreal

Im glad our league doesnt use "home town" refs- they use HS refs who rotate everywhere
A Board Member was head coach of the other team
A League Board Member was openly rooting for the other team- encouraging its players- chuckling at a problem the Jr Rockets brought up
Very uncool

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze

A League Board Member was openly rooting for the other team- encouraging its players- chuckling at a problem the Jr Rockets brought up

^^This is what shocked me the most.  I think he is the President of the League.  Very uncool indeed.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

^^This is what shocked me the most.  I think he is the President of the League.  Very uncool indeed.

Happens more than you might think actually.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze

Probably, but remember that there is editing that happens.  It could be that the producers wanted to have that sort of controversy.  Unless you have full game film (and they rarely show game stuff), you won't know whether it was really as big as it was portrayed.

Reality TV would not exist without out of context editing.  Otherwise, it would just be reality and that's obviously not exciting enough for most people.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Reality TV would not exist without out of context editing.  Otherwise, it would just be reality and that's obviously not exciting enough for most people.

I've actually adopted "Winner's Edit" and "Loser's Edit" for discussing biases in evaluating athletes.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze

I've actually adopted "Winner's Edit" and "Loser's Edit" for discussing biases in evaluating athletes.

Do those edit's actually exist?  Or are you speaking metaphorically?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Do those edit's actually exist?  Or are you speaking metaphorically?

I have no doubt that they grab both options along with a ton of extra footage to make their story. Just watch what they capture and compare with what you have going on and you know that they cut out what they don't want.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze

I have no doubt that they grab both options along with a ton of extra footage to make their story. Just watch what they capture and compare with what you have going on and you know that they cut out what they don't want.

I see that in ALL reality TV shows.  Which is why I never watch them.  The wife on the other hand ...

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=winner%27s%20edit

I don't watch reality shows, but I learned the terms somewhere.

I use them to describe when a supposed "stud" makes a ton of mistakes, but the ball is wet, the grass is too high, he slipped, etc., and then a supposed "MPP" does a great job but he's not facing anyone tough, there's no pressure on, he's fresh, etc.  The former is getting the winner's edit and the latter is getting the loser's edit.  They're the opposite of seeing what is actually going on and evaluating everyone objectively.  Yeah, past performance matters, but it's not like the grass is suddenly shorter for the "MPP."  In "daddy ball," the coach's kid gets a winner's edit.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Coach Ricks
(@coach-david)
Copper
Topic starter  

He should be removed.  He can't have a dog in the fight. JR Rockets, had no chance with the multiple jobbed calls. Most of the kids that played for the JR, will not return to football because of this single reason. No ref is perfect,  the parents had all the right to defend their kids.  The kids couldn't. Then the President, had the balls to laugh in the JR's President face. Disgrace!

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

I'm surprised everyone is surprised.  Over the years, I've coached in four different leagues.  In each league, there are always coaches that cheat.  So why would you think referees are above that?  Sure, I would like to believe that but in reality, have to believe there are cheaters everywhere.  The honest "non-cheaters" are in the vast majority - it only takes 5-10% of the cheaters to put a bad name on the sport/profession.  Take Tom Brady for example.....

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze

This show is a guilty pleasure as I count down the weeks till spring ball...

Not to get off topic but the Anti-Hero President of the League had a great line in one episode...

I forgot which team it was maybe the Storm?, but it was the coach with the loud wife that broke off from his old team to create a new one, and on registration day they didn't have enough kids so Mr. President tells him "Look you don't have enough kids to be competitive... but if you are dumb enough to field a team I will gladly take your money" and the coach and his wife look directly into the Camera and go "Who does this guy think he is??? Its not like its his league or anything" LOL

... 3 episodes later they are down to like 16 kids and a team of 40 blows their doors off So they call the game at half time.
So the coach and his wife start complain that the refs didn't "control the game" and the other team "played too hard" and they write like a 5 page letter/email to the Mr. President airing their grievances. Long story short they cut to the President and he goes "They knew what they got into, this email? nothing but emotion! This is what I think of emotion!" as he proceeds to throw the letter in the trash! LMFAO

... oh and as for the JR rockets getting screwed if that was real its damn shame... the clock ran out 3 times! and they had that Star Q crying... but after the 4th penalty flag the kid barely scrambles into the endzone for the stolen game

if it was a work i give them a lot of credit, the parents trying to assault the ref, the kids reactions, the coaches reactions, the sheepish smile by the winning coach knowing he just stole that win

but the best part of the episode was when the Jr Rockets coach goes "Its no secret that the board members are gonna get the best matchups" and then the radio announcer goes "And here we have Joe blow the professional Mathematician to help compute the weight of the team's record and schedule to make sure this whole thing is fair and square!"

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

i'd like to watch that show, and i've tried.  but i cannot.  it's horrifying.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: