Notifications
Clear all

From Twitter

Page 1 / 2

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Just curious to get everyone's thoughts... Full disclosure, even though I'm the head coach, I coach the offensive line.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Adam_Mac/status/1349554311353802759?s=20

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

Offensive linemen are the worst athletes on the team. That doesn't mean that they can't be athletic, it just means your backs are more athletic. I see no reason to be offended. Would the backs be offended if we said the linemen were the best power lifters on the team? Probably not because it's likely the truth

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @rpatric

Offensive linemen are the worst athletes on the team. That doesn't mean that they can't be athletic, it just means your backs are more athletic. I see no reason to be offended. Would the backs be offended if we said the linemen were the best power lifters on the team? Probably not because it's likely the truth

Not on our team. Our team MVP played OL and DL. If we didn't have a stupid patch rule, he would be a RB and we could name our own score.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

Ah yes, patch rule could cause your best athlete to play on the line.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@rpatric - I'm not one who gets offended by anything. After all, I work in software (and some of my colleagues have a sick sense of humor ;-))

The problem I have with this statement is that it's making an assumption that isn't always true. Since he appears to be talking about NFL offensive linemen (e.g. we can't cut like in college), I'd argue the difference isn't as large as he's making it sound -- especially with the offensive tackles that have to cut off backside pursuit.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want a pulling guard with a full head of steam blocking the outside man instead of a receiver.

I'll pause now for everyone to say, "What do you know, Johnson? You only run three plays!!"

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

For whatever it's worth, one of the best teams that I coached, the QB wasn't nearly the athlete that you'd expect, but he did a great job with taking the snap and tossing the ball or handing it off - and then leading through the hole.  I had some offensive linemen who were definitely athletic, even for their size.  I don't think that it's fair to say that offensive linemen are not athletic...it's definitely an ignorant thing to say.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want a pulling guard with a full head of steam blocking the outside man instead of a receiver.

Same here.    

Most of our RBs play Guard for us their 1st yr.  We don't have weight limits in our league.    We just need a guy at qb - just take the snap and hand off to the right guy and follow up with good fakes, if he can throw or run a little that's a plus, but we want athletes at the Guards and TE.  

This post was modified 3 months ago 3 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I would like to know who put this on paper? 

ARGH! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@youth-coach Allegedly, it was here

https://twitter.com/Coach_Adam_Mac/status/1349736665363996672?s=20

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Just curious to get everyone's thoughts... Full disclosure, even though I'm the head coach, I coach the offensive line.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Adam_Mac/status/1349554311353802759?s=20

This idiot has obviously not seen my running backs!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Someone explain to me what the hubbub is?  I'm at a loss...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@coachdp

That someone would dare suggest that o-linemen are the worst athletes on your team.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Let's have a competition. We'll strap weights to the backs and see who the real "athletes" are 😀 

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

That someone would dare suggest that o-linemen are the worst athletes on your team.

"Because the worst athletes on the team are your offensive linemen."

I have honestly never seen a team where the best athletes are on the offensive line.  The coach isn't claiming that offensive linemen are lousy athletes; the coach is claiming that of all the athletes on the team, the ones on the offensive line are the least athletic (i.e., "worst").  While I'm sure there's an occasional exception to the rule, I believe the coach's statement is correct.  Hey, even if your linemen are all 4-star athletes and everyone else on the team is a 5-star athlete, the linemen are still the "worst athletes."  There was nothing insulting about what was written.  Now if the coach has said, "Because offensive linemen are lousy athletes..." then I would take issue.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

I guess it depends on what your definition of an athlete is. Personally, my backs will almost always be "better athletes" than my linemen but there are exceptions to the rule, especially at my level. As Coach Gumby stated earlier, some leagues have rules on who can carry the ball. You could end up with studs on the line simply because they aren't allowed to carry the ball. Given the choice, these players would likely be in your backfield. The backs are usually faster and more agile than the linemen which is how I would judge athleticism in a child. Once you get to the NFL, there are no bad athletes, just some better than others.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: