Notifications
Clear all

From Twitter

Page 2 / 2

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @rpatric

Once you get to the NFL, there are no bad athletes, just some better than others.

This is the same case, re: what was printed in the book.  He used a some are better than others comparison by saying linemen are the worst athletes on the team.  What's true is; Someone is the worst.  Again, let's not make of the mistake of think the coach wrote, linemen aren't good athletes.  What he's saying in a nutshell is, that of all of the athletes on your team, the offensive linemen are the least athletic.  That's not derogatory.  

And personally, I don't know of anyone who puts their best athletes on the offensive line.  I may have done that once or twice as part of a special "package" we were installing, but the position of offensive line doesn't not require the type or as much overall athleticism as a so-called "skill position" player (and yes, I do hate that phrase).  If the coach had inferred that offensive linemen are the worst football players on the team, then I'd take issue.  I've had some very poor athletes whose heart and determination made them outstanding football players.  

The positions at the offensive line may speak to the level of a player's overall athleticism (which the coach is referring to), but the position has nothing to do with how good of a football player they are.  

Read what the coach wrote; not what some of you may think he wrote.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @rpatric

I guess it depends on what your definition of an athlete is.

Anyone who plays on my team is an "athlete."  But they all have varying degrees of athleticism.  Some of them are the best athletes and some are the worst.  Not "worst I've ever seen."  Just "worst on the team."  It's like "speed."  Some of my players are faster and some of my players are slower.  The slower ones generally play a lineman position because speed isn't a requirement for doing their job well.

And because offensive linemen (generally) are my "worst athletes" is why I'm not a coach that believes in sending my linemen "to the 2nd level" to block LBs in space because I don't like the athletic mismatch.  I believe in putting my players in situations they can thrive in; Not in situations where they are out-athleted.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Coaches, 

A lot of this stuff depends on how you are defining 'athlete'.   I generally find 'quick twitch' guys to be lousy athletes in distance running events.  They simply are not built to compete with the superior athleticism of distance runners. 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Of course Tyreek Hill would look pretty silly blocking Aaron Donald while Donald would look pretty silly running squirrel routes. Basically true at all levels. 

Football is unique in that it requires different blends of athletes and why this article is ridiculous. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

Football is unique in that it requires different blends of athletes and why this article is ridiculous. 

There was an article?  All I saw was a paragraph.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @mahonz

There was an article?  All I saw was a paragraph.

--Dave

Maybe even a book? It does say ( continued ) 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

After all, I work in software (and some of my colleagues have a sick sense of humor ;-)) 

HA!  I am an Agile Program Manager at a software company so I offend everyone every day!  Especially developers!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: