Full Season Blog (Good, Bad and Ugly)

Page 2 / 2

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @coachmiket

My question would be how much of what you are doing is truly necessary for 6-8 year old football players? 

And while I've never coached a 6-year-old, I did coach 7-9s for five years.  (1 as an AC and 4 as a HC.  Had an absolute blast as I tried to figure out things.)

--Dave

My favorite part about this age is some of the stuff they come up with. I had a kid making up his conditioning and on the last one (bear crawl) he looks up at me and says, "man, this better be worth it"

--Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @coyote

Some drills you may be able to run with just one or 2 coaches, 3 - 5 stations at a time may relieve some of your long waits in line.

Long waits in line?  Good grief, I hope no one still does that.

--Dave

I sense sarcasm. 

--Brian

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

PRACTICE 2/DAY 4 OF SEASON

Afternoon Coaches,

So day three went far better than the first day of practice. Due to what I would guess were around 40+ Fire Ant mounds are field look like some sort of mine field with flags identifying the mounds. and as if that wasn't enough, throw in some wasps just for fun and practice started of swell. 

Not to be thwarted by mother nature, we marked off our 50 yards for conditioning. At 6pm we started practice with warm-ups which for us consist of form-running based High Knees (x2), Butt Kickers (x2) and Sprints (x2). I haven't incorporated the backward sprints or battle buddies yet as I am still working on lines, and getting them used to the form running aspect. I hope that in week three we will begin our Dynamic Chaos which I will explain in detail once we begin using it. Nothing major changes in our warmups except for the intensity. 

Conditioning was bear crawls for 100 yards straight, followed by 100 yards of frog jumps, then we topped that off with 50 yards of backwards bear crawls. It seemed after the players saw us send quite a few kids back to the start the first practice they learned that its way better to stop for a quick break to catch your breath than to try and cheat the system. I'll have to watch them more carefully, and make sure that my AC's aren't giving the benefit of the doubt to kids. The type of effort we are attempting to draw out of these kids needs constant reinforcement early on. Things as simple as when we take our water break, our helmets get lined straight up next to us facing the practice field. I believe that small things like this, picking up the field, placement of player bags, etc. makes a big long term difference in mentality as structure is paramount to kids success. 

Once we came out of conditioning we took our team water break. I use water breaks to pass things that are important for the team. Sometimes this is discussion about respect for teammates, teachers, parents, etc. as it was Thursday, or sometimes it basics of football as many of these kids have NEVER played. Especially due to COVID last year. 

For eval drills, we used a drill to test pull speed (won't do again unless its the circle drill), 10 yard fight, towel drill and board drill. I will not use the board drill again for evals as it is fundamental based and we do not teach that our first two weeks. Our first two weeks are based on conditioning, developing effort and learning the pace and structure of a practice. I try my best to keep the first 30-45 minutes at this age group almost exactly the same everyday; warm-ups, stance/LEG, tackle/blocking drills. This may bleed into 60 minutes, which if it does, I will need to take a look at how that effects our ability to indy and scheme in 90 minutes a week. But at this age group, the team with the most effort (read aggression/physicality) and best fundamentals will generally win. Especially early on. 

Before I forget. Any coaches that have cones out during practice, and easy way to not have to run the field everyday, is to ask a group of 38 (6-8's) who can bring coach the most cones. You will have every cone on the field in literally 60 seconds. It was awesome. Of course, that was until they started running around and grabbing all of the flags marking ant hills... but such is life. Live and learn to provide clearer instruction. 

--Brian 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bdjackson

Our first two weeks are based on conditioning, developing effort and learning the pace and structure of a practice.

^

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Day 7

We held our first coaches meeting and talked everything from attire on gameday and practice to install plan for the next 5 weeks leading to our first game. It was very interesting to have 4 coaches prodding and asking all sorts of questions about our DW and 33 stack as it forced me to be able to explain "WHY" we do what we do and how we would adjust to different scenarios. But I'm a believer that having debates will do one o two things, 1) strengthen your position on what you believe 2) convince you that there is a better way. As a Doublewing coach, I have long known that I need to be prepared to defend what we do, so I am generally comfortable with that. 

As far as attire, we will all be wearing maroon dress/golf shorts with matching (Black) collared t-shirts. The shirt design we are going with even matches the players jerseys which I feel is a good look from the sideline. Also, as I long ago bought into JJ's mantra of we will not play sloppy football, I believe this applies to the coaches too. We will not look like a hot mess on gameday. While I have no data driven evidence that supports this theory, I believe that a coaching staff who comes out looking like one unit will typically coach like one too. But not because they all decided to wake up and wear the same cool outfit that morning, but rather because it shows there is discussion amongst the coaches about the smallest of details throughout the season. And I cannot take credit for discussing this as it was an AC who brought up the topic. But I can assure you that it will be a topic of discussion in future seasons. 

As far as the scheme, it was difficult for some coaches to wrap their head around 5-6 plays most of the season. Funny being that one in particular came from a Power I background. But the important part is that by the end, they all understood and bought in to what we were doing. Once they understood how it all worked. We assigned our OC (Me) and our DC and determined who the second coach on the field will be, and laid out the plan for the remainder of the offseason. 

As far as the offseason, my plan through our first game (Aug 21st) is as follows.

This week: Conditioning and Evals

Week 3: Institute Dynamic Chaos, EDD's and Off Indy's

EDD's will reflect alot of what JJ does (tackling/blocking/stance and LEG progression)

Indy's will be the basics of pulling, angle blocking, and front recognition for O-Line;

Backfield Indy's will consist of: Blocking responsibilities, backfield footwork (We will be using CoachDP's method of teaching this from fit and working back). Dave, any tips are greatly appreciated. 

Dynamic Chaos will be explained this weekend as I probably should get some work done today .

Week 4: Install Power, Wedge and Sweep

I am going to have to do some serious reading to make sure that we are efficient at our install as our EDD's/Dynamic Chaos will take up almost 60 minutes of our 90 minutes practice. 

Week 5: Install Counter, Install 33 stack

Week 6: (Last Week before game)

Defensive Indys with Cover/Stack groups, Review Offensive plays, Get live work in and make any necessary corrections/adjustments. 

I am 100% open to any suggestions with the install schedule as if I had to give myself a failing grade it would be in this area. With almost 40 kids this makes me even more nervous about doing this correctly, efficiently while getting everyone reps. 

--Brian

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Sounds like you are all over it. What is your approach to special teams? How often, etc.?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bdjackson

We held our first coaches meeting and talked everything from attire on gameday and practice to install plan for the next 5 weeks leading to our first game. It was very interesting to have 4 coaches prodding and asking all sorts of questions about our DW and 33 stack as it forced me to be able to explain "WHY" we do what we do and how we would adjust to different scenarios. But I'm a believer that having debates will do one o two things, 1) strengthen your position on what you believe 2) convince you that there is a better way. 

--I would have loved to have been there for that.

While I have no data driven evidence that supports this theory, I believe that a coaching staff who comes out looking like one unit will typically coach like one too.

--This ^.

Backfield Indy's will consist of: Blocking responsibilities, backfield footwork (We will be using CoachDP's method of teaching this from fit and working back). Dave, any tips are greatly appreciated. 

--Start at fit and work backwards. 😉 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Kind of a FWIW post... 

Our warm-ups are pretty quick, mostly to make sure the kids are loose in the legs, groin and lower back.   We lose the warm-up every game.

Our 1st two practices - no pads - we work  3 pt stance, form fit for block, replacement step, The Plank (12 ft 2x12 - drive a dummy the whole length - quick feet good body lean, keep from "holding" etc) Pancake drill (Using 4 dummies as crash pad, one player holds a shield and gets driven backward by another, then switch - kids love holding shield on this drill - keep the feet moving run thru the block, not to the block), Power Allys for Buck short and Belly.   

At the Plank drill we separate into 2 groups, - one group does the plank, the other works hand- off drills, after every one goes thru the plank 3 times, we switch groups.  (2nd night  things move a little faster and we normally add Bucksweep to the Power Ally but got rained - lightning - out)

tonight - 3rd practice, now in full pads - we'll spend the 1st hour on review, adding Bucksweep drill.  2nd hour introducing our Bucksweep series (20 series in Delaware parlance),  We've done this enough with this age group, we already know where the kids will get it wrong and pretty much head it off at the pass.  (Mostly the backs will run past the hole and try to bounce everything outside and not follow their blocking on sweep, they'll get in front of their blockers, QB will stop after the hand off and want to watch the play, that sort of stuff)

Thursday, we'll split between Off and Def.  Teaching form fit for tackling and running a lot of angle tackling on dummies.  And intro the Killer Bee alignment and assignments. 

That will leave us with 2 practices before the jamboree that Sat.   We don't rush anything, we move at a good pace, I think it was Coach Wooden (UCLA Basketball) said, "Be quick, but don't hurry"  that's what we seek in our practices. 

For our Jamboree we only intend to show:
- Buckshort
- Trap
- Bucksweep to SE side
- Waggle pass Off SE side Bucksweep

We'll save the Belly series' (Quickside and Strongside) for the games.   

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coyote

Pancake drill (Using 4 dummies as crash pad, one player holds a shield and gets driven backward by another)

This is actually what I call our executioner drill when we conduct it as blockers vice tacklers. 

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@coyote

Going all in on conditioning/eval the first two weeks is a huge change for us, but I have already heard players say how surprised they were when they made it through. Its a lot to ask a 6/7 year old to army crawl through the mud, duck walk 50-100 yards, backwards bear crawl, etc. especially when they don't quite understand how this ties into their expectations of football practice. It's kind of like Mr. Miyagi, "wax on, wax off". 

But at the same time, you see what kids fight when they are clearly gassed and what kids take the easy way out because its difficult. And it is difficult. And EVERYONE must finish, no excuses for missing conditioning. I actually just found out that I have a kid out due to COVID in the home, and we will still get his conditioning in. This has been difficult but it is necessary because of the philosophy I am taking this season. 

Starting next week we will be getting into all of our EDD's and keeping practice at 2 hours to allow for us to effectively run indy's and leave room for other drills like good news/meet and greet. 

--Brian

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bdjackson Got to let go of my perfectionism and just get them done. Ugly instructions are better than no instructions. 

Yes.  You just have to decide where you're willing to be ugly.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: