Notifications
Clear all

Fullback Dive

Page 1 / 2

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Doodling around with the Fullback Dive. Believe it or not, in something like 22 seasons, I only started running last year out of our I formation. We were in GOB (inside gap, man on, backer) blocking and I really only ran it to set up the option.

So far, I think i'll run it if the defense gives it to me. I'm considering blocking it GOD without a pull and if your blocking assignment is closer to the POA than you are, it's an auto cut block.

How do you guys block the FB dive?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I don't have a "FB dive" in my playbook, and I really don't know what that is.  Our Fullback running plays are Wedge, Counter Trap, and sometimes Sweep from the Stack-I where he's lined up as a Tailback.  

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

I don't have a "FB dive" in my playbook, and I really don't know what that is.  Our Fullback running plays are Wedge, Counter Trap, and sometimes Sweep from the Stack-I where he's lined up as a Tailback.  

--Dave

I suppose the biggest question is why do I think I need a dive and a trap?

Nevermind. Scrapping the dive play.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

--Dave

Nooo!  You need a straight dive for when the player you'd be trapping is untrappable.  Or when he'd be trappable, except he's too smart.  So you need a quick hitter to get him to react by charging in, and that's what the trap is for.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

--Dave

Nooo!  You need a straight dive for when the player you'd be trapping is untrappable.  Or when he'd be trappable, except he's too smart.  So you need a quick hitter to get him to react by charging in, and that's what the trap is for.

Not being glib, but why/how would he be untrappable? He refuses to cross the LOS?

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I know your affinity for all things "non-traditional" 😀. 

I ran an offense with MS kid's that was built around FB dive. Our rules were IOL (like veer) but we used a wing that motioned from the backside to kick-out (more like shield) the PSE. Like you, we ran it to ultimately set up option but it made up 30-40% of the play calls.

Our alignment looked more Wing-T but wasn't actually Wing-T. Our FB was not the guy lined up behind the QB. Think like split back's except the backs aren't on either side of the QB. The RB is lined up directly behind the QB (like ACE or Pro set 7-8 yards) and the FB is lined up beside him and to the playside in the B gap but he's only about 4-5 yards deep...if that makes sense.

Also the alignment up front was unbalanced. We went T,G,C,G,T,T with a split end nasty or bastard. That SE had the same rule as the interior guys. The wing was aligned to the short side and motioned to the unbalanced side on almost every play. So it started unbalanced and ended even more unbalanced. WE would cave down the backside just inside the EMLOS and shield the EMOLS with the motioning wing. When the wing motioned he would tap the QB to let him know where he was and he would snap the ball right after the tap.

All I would ever hear from the opposing sidelines was, "watch the middle" when in fact the play was really hitting more off tackle. They would always bring guys to the both A gaps while we were running B/C'ish. In fairness to them it hit as fast as an A-gap typed dive but it wasn't.

Probably more information than you needed and not exactly "traditional" dive but that's how we ran it.

This post was modified 1 month ago by J. Potter (seabass)

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@seabass Makes sense, but not the concept I had in mind. As I've said, I've never had a "dive" in my playbook until last year and I called it to set up the option. If it got yards . . . great.

When I watch teams in my league run dive, it's either stuffed at the LOS, or it scores. I think that's because the OCs calling Dive are calling it "whenever" and when the defense is wrong, it's very wrong. When the defense is right, they stuff it. If I were to run Dive, I'd wait until I see an unsound alignment. Easy to do when you're 100% "check with me". But I suppose we could just have the QB auto sneak if he sees a bubble inside. No need to install another play with different rules.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @bob-goodman

--Dave

Not being glib, but why/how would he be untrappable? He refuses to cross the LOS?

Or is too slow to do so.  Or he's submarining and not good at popping up.  Gee, I thought we'd discussed this scenario here frequently.  Many youth defenses, it doesn't pay to trap.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I explained here and here the benefit of having both a dive and a trap hitting at the same hole but with different timing and blocking.

You should have a varied enough offensive toolbox to allow for different degrees of sophistication of defenses at your level.  Some DL can be trapped, others either can't or don't need to be.  Some DL and LB can be suckered with an influence pull, others not.  Some can have their blocks set up by an influence step, others react too slowly for that to help.  Some defenses will have their LBs use a simple key in your offense, others more sophisticated, and still others ain't keyin' nuthin'.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@bob-goodman Thanks Bob. I'll read these over the weekend.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze Admin

Doodling around with the Fullback Dive. Believe it or not, in something like 22 seasons, I only started running last year out of our I formation. We were in GOB (inside gap, man on, backer) blocking and I really only ran it to set up the option.

So far, I think i'll run it if the defense gives it to me. I'm considering blocking it GOD without a pull and if your blocking assignment is closer to the POA than you are, it's an auto cut block.

How do you guys block the FB dive?

We run a FB dive at the Bubble hole in B or C gap blocking GOD and sometimes Split at hole if Defense gives it to us.  We will usually run motion opposite the FB Dive to get the LBs and DBs looking at the eye candy. I hope to get 3 yards and yes like you said many of these will break for big yards. The play is a keep the Defense gap sound honest type play. 

In A gap we will run a FB wedge.  

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@coachparker Thanks Steve. That's kind of where I was leaning. Take advantage of the bubble if they give it to us. Toward the end of the season, I saw a lot of 1 tech with the next guy at a 9 tech. I see a lot of weird bubbles on the short side when I go unbalanced. 

I've already taught them a Part scheme, so it should be easy to get the C and a G or a G and a T to part when the QB audibles to a dive. I like your motion idea, but I don't use motion. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

--Dave

Fb sucker trap off the TB truck action is quite possibly the best play in all of football. The reason you never saw it with me is I was now anti pull and you were enamored with mega splits. I did run it at you a ton when I played QB during defense team sessions. The old Outlaws ran it a bunch in the early days when I was experimenting with no pull traps. The beauty of that is sometimes we'd hand off to the trap back so one play became two with zero teaching. Kane was our trap back and was really good at both plays. He can draw it up for you at the reunion. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@mahonz DW is very friendly for the no pull trap. Especially since I’m going to integrate our “empty” plays aka “belly” action.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

DTDW FB trap is an absolutely devastating play when the defensive tackle is a little too antsy.

Our FB didn’t get many carry’s but when he did, being one of the fastest kids on the field…it was a good play for us.  

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: