Notifications
Clear all

Game 1

Page 1 / 2

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Our JVs play their first game tomorrow. (Varsity plays Thursday night.)  I have NO idea how this is going to go.  Might as well spin the big prize wheel and see where it lands.  We are the away team and as such, our parents are not able to attend.  No pre-game meal, as the students aren't at the school.  Very strange times.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Good Luck Guys!  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Good luck.  My guess is, the coaches on the other side of the field are feeling about the same as you are.... 

Help the kids get their butterflies in formation, take their skills and drills into the game with 'em, and 'hustle, hit and never quit.

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

High school football in Mid-February, no parents in the stands and 28 JV players at a 4A school.  JV players have to get dropped off at the stadium by their parents, who aren't allowed to stay and watch (even through the gate), and then picked up again later.  

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Is anyone else playing football right now?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

@coachdp  Our HS Starts Team Practices next week 1st game is 3nd week in March.  Not a lot of time to get prepped.  Sharing with Basketball and Baseball and kids have to have, I believe,  5 Practices in each Sport before they can play.

6 Varsity, 5 JV and 3 Freshmen games total.  The Only Sport with Potential for playoffs is Baseball.   AT this Point Take What We Get! 

Our Gov, Robustus Caesar, loves to dangle the I'll shut it down Sword over everything!  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @youth-coach

AT this Point Take What We Get! 

I get it.  But I have never been part of a team that's had as little coaching as this.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

We start Flex on March 1.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @youth-coach

AT this Point Take What We Get! 

I get it.  But I have never been part of a team that's had as little coaching as this.

--Dave

Oh I hear you loud and clear.  I suggest that "Unpolished" will be a kind description for some teams.   

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

Our JVs play their first game tomorrow. (Varsity plays Thursday night.)  I have NO idea how this is going to go.  Might as well spin the big prize wheel and see where it lands.  We are the away team and as such, our parents are not able to attend.  No pre-game meal, as the students aren't at the school.  Very strange times.

--Dave

How did it go?

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

How did it go?

Very odd game.  When we arrived at the venue, their "greeter coach" asked me how many players we had.  I told him, "28."  His eyes got big and he replied, "Is that ALL?  I've never known a MCHS team to have numbers that small."  When we got on the field for warmups, I counted 48 for their side.  They went 9-1 last year and looked every bit the same tonight.  Our starting Center told me during warmups that he'd left his wrist coach in his Mom's car and I told him not to worry, as I'd just start the backup Center.  (We have 5 o-line starters and 1 backup.  The backup plays C, G and T.)  I saw the color drain from our Center's face as he realized he'd just lost his starting job in the season opener.

We fumbled the opening kick off and were backed up to our 15-yard line, but on our first play from scrimmage we ran an inside power and broke it loose for a 85-yard touchdown run.  We kicked the XP and just like that, we were up 7-0.  We stopped them on a 3 and out and took over possession.  Our 2nd drive stalled, but not our 3rd.  We powered the ball down the field running between the Tackles(!) and punched it in again to go ahead, 14-0.  Our defense gave little ground and on our next possession, we threw an interception.  They were unable to capitalize on the pic and punted it back to us.  On our final play of the 1st Half, we called a Double Pass with our WR wide open; but we overthrew him.  It would have been an easy 6 points.   With a 14-0 lead, we kicked off to start the 2nd Half.  Again we stopped their offense and then we picked up a couple of 1st Downs before having to punt.  They stalled again.  We put together a very nice drive but again didn't finish as we took the ball inside their Red Zone again but threw an interception in their end zone.  The 2nd Half was a composite of 3 and outs for their offense and us driving without punching it in.  On our final possession, we got to their 4-yard line before taking a knee.  A 14-0 victory.  It was ugly, but our opponent is usually a very good team.  I felt very fortunate to get the victory with 5 freshman playing the 6 skill spots and with only 6 o-linemen total.  I was most proud of the tenaciousness of our players, who seemed naively confident (lol).

We've had a disaster of a pre-season with the crummy weather and nothing but the basics installed.  But at least for tonight, it was enough.  Varsity plays Thursday.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@coachdp

Varsity play's Saturday, JV Monday and Freshman next Thursday. We got a snow storm the day before our first practice. We spent the first 5 days in a gym. After practice we spent the week removing snow so that we could get outside this week.

As of now, our district isn't allowing fan's on either side. We don't even have a home stadium as ours is under renovation for 2 years. Neither team can use locker rooms. All player's have to arrive dressed and will remain on the field for the entirety of the game. Masks are required for all player's and coaches at all times.

It is very strange and we have had very little time to prepare for these games. Our guy's have not played a down of football since October of 2019. We have also not been in the weight room since March 12th of last year. It should be interesting!

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Varsity and JV will have 11 practices leading into their first game. My squad will have 13. I'm going into week 1 with 7 total plays....that's it and we are not one of those wingy thing teams either. 😀 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @seabass

@coachdp

Varsity play's Saturday, JV Monday and Freshman next Thursday. We got a snow storm the day before our first practice. We spent the first 5 days in a gym. After practice we spent the week removing snow so that we could get outside this week.

As of now, our district isn't allowing fan's on either side. We don't even have a home stadium as ours is under renovation for 2 years. Neither team can use locker rooms. All player's have to arrive dressed and will remain on the field for the entirety of the game. Masks are required for all player's and coaches at all times.

It is very strange and we have had very little time to prepare for these games. Our guy's have not played a down of football since October of 2019. We have also not been in the weight room since March 12th of last year. It should be interesting!

Shoveling snow is a full body exercise. 😀 

In CO in the Fall, they started out with zero spectators, then started limiting the crowd by issuing 2 vouchers per player. That's how I got to see a couple of games. Then I found out that a beloved grandma of a former player was giving up her voucher for me, so I put an end to that.

Then, it got weird. Our county and a handful of others had a spike in cases, so they forbade spectators. Lots of teams opted to play on neutral fields a mile away, but across county lines so that spectators would be allowed.

No locker rooms in CO either and masks were required for players if their helmets weren't on. As if a facemask will prevent droplets from spreading. I'm really curious to see how they navigate the weather for the schools that opted to play in the Spring. That's when we get most of our snow here. Late April, early May, the snow gives way to daily thunderstorms with usually one or two blizzards.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Our player's have done a great job of adjusting to all the new requirements...in some cases better than our coaches have. It sounds like we will be moving to the 2 ticket/player deal soon as well. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: