Notifications

Game Week!  

RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 10:58 am  

We play the Cowboys Saturday Morning at 9:00 AM...first game of the season, about 4 weeks after the original start date....

Brand new team, so pretty much nothing is known, other than they are new and the coach drafted a bunch of small players, no size to speak of...I talked to the header from the team the scrimmaged, just asking for some basic stuff.

He shared they are in a 53 front, he couldn't tell where the DT's were meant to align, he said they were sloppy, but the NT is a 0 tech and DE's are wide 9s.

Offensively, Double TE's, Split Backs a Wing...sometimes they are in the Gun, sometime UTC. Sometimes the Wing aligns as a Wing, sometimes they split him wide. Running the types of plays you would expect from that set.

The Wide 9s are a surprise...I figured they would be a 53...and the sloppy alignment of TNT doesn't surprise me...but what is he doing with those DE's out so wide? I love playing against a 53 front, power is there all day long, with those DE's sitting out there so wide, power is still there, but now there is a good likelihood that I won't even have to block them.

They do present a problem (at least schematically) if we want to take the ball outside...can my tackles get there on the reach? Probably not, can they get there and get on his inside hip and run him, probably so...but again, depending upon their assignment (are they there to contain? I really hope so), we might not even have to block them when running outside, they may run themselves right out of the play.

So...for preparation, I made some tweaks to the schemes (we currently have Zone, Power and Stretch) to block their front, which we will show to the boys and rep in practice this week. Nothing mind bending, just keep your eyes up and drive anything in your grass, nothing in your grass right away? help your buddy until something shows up. I do have one adjustment, just in case...a GUT tag (Guard Under Tackle), essentially, the Tackle folds back and the Guard goes under the fold block and attacks the 9 tech (assuming he hasn't run himself out of the play), basically, an outside pull.

Oh, and we are going to try and run the ball outside using empty sets...Jet Sweep, QB Sweep and possibly fast screens to X and Z. I am very curious to see how they align to our empty set...my Outside guys can all catch and my QB can make the throw...but...will the 9 techs be in the throwing lanes?

Defensively, their formations are very vanilla, so no special alignment issues, we will do what we do...

I am excited 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 12:21 pm  
Posted by: @spidermac

The Wide 9s are a surprise...I figured they would be a 53...and the sloppy alignment of TNT doesn't surprise me...but what is he doing with those DE's out so wide?

--It's called, "Outside Contain."  And it's designed to handle most youth offense's favorite play.

I love playing against a 53 front, power is there all day long, with those DE's sitting out there so wide, power is still there, but now there is a good likelihood that I won't even have to block them.

--And if you use a "Nasty Split," you may be able to formation those DEs to the sideline.

They do present a problem (at least schematically) if we want to take the ball outside.

--Exactly.  They're willing to give you 3-5 all day, but PRE-VENT against the home run.

can my tackles get there on the reach?

--Nooooo.

Probably not, can they get there and get on his inside hip and run him, probably so.

--Yes.  Unless his DEs have been taught better than your Tackles.

but again, depending upon their assignment (are they there to contain? I really hope so), we might not even have to block them when running outside, they may run themselves right out of the play.

--If they're taught badly, then yes they'll probably take themselves all the way to the end zone.  But if they're taught correctly, your Pistol QB fielding rainbow snaps could be in for an interesting afternoon.  The goal of my wide DEs would be for your backup QB to be in the game by the 2nd Quarter.  And this might be the ONE game I used a Zero-Tech to hurry your Center's snaps.  Just for fun.  At least, in the 1st Quarter.  

will the 9 techs be in the throwing lanes?

--Mine absolutely would be.  And if theirs are, where does that leave you?

I am excited

--Eager to hear about your return to the Double Wing next week. 😉 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 12:55 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

The Wide 9s are a surprise...I figured they would be a 53...and the sloppy alignment of TNT doesn't surprise me...but what is he doing with those DE's out so wide?

--It's called, "Outside Contain."  And it's designed to handle most youth offense's favorite play.

I get to play with Colors 🙂 how fun...Containing with a DE is not sound, at least in my mind...and the coaches (myself included back in my first year as a header) I have encountered that use them this way generally have them flying up the field and boxing.

I love playing against a 53 front, power is there all day long, with those DE's sitting out there so wide, power is still there, but now there is a good likelihood that I won't even have to block them.

--And if you use a "Nasty Split," you may be able to formation those DEs to the sideline.

I do use a nasty split, my H and Y are aligned in the slot. 🙂

They do present a problem (at least schematically) if we want to take the ball outside.

--Exactly.  They're willing to give you 3-5 all day, but PRE-VENT against the home run.

And have told my OC the same thing...we are going to run Power, QB Power and Veer until he moves them closer to the ball, then we can run stretch and jet sweep. And because it is a 53, Power is still going to be there 🙂

can my tackles get there on the reach?

--Nooooo.

I think that may have been rhetorical question, which is the reason I tweaked things, Either "run him" or we get a better angle with the GUT tag.

Probably not, can they get there and get on his inside hip and run him, probably so.

--Yes.  Unless his DEs have been taught better than your Tackles.

Is it arrogant to think this is not possible? 😛

but again, depending upon their assignment (are they there to contain? I really hope so), we might not even have to block them when running outside, they may run themselves right out of the play.

--If they're taught badly, then yes they'll probably take themselves all the way to the end zone.  But if they're taught correctly, your Pistol QB fielding rainbow snaps could be in for an interesting afternoon.  The goal of my wide DEs would be for your backup QB to be in the game by the 2nd Quarter.  And this might be the ONE game I used a Zero-Tech to hurry your Center's snaps.  Just for fun.  At least, in the 1st Quarter.  

I am confident that there will be no rainbow snaps...he can get the ball there on time and on target...as long as Zombie boy doesn't show up...as far as the 0 goes...in the schemes I have in so far, the Center is never responsible for the 0, at least one on one. If the zero does become an issue, we have answers...

will the 9 techs be in the throwing lanes?

--Mine absolutely would be.  And if theirs are, where does that leave you?

Even though we do not run DW anymore, I still subscribe to the tenants...Edge or the Wedge, or in our case Veer, until we get ISO and Trap installed. We are not going to force something that is not there...if the 9s are in the throwing lane, don't throw it, pull it down and follow your Oline (we zone playside on the fast screens). We will get those 9s placed where we want them and doing what we want them to do 🙂

I am excited

--Eager to hear about your return to the Double Wing next week. 😉 

--Dave

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 1:59 pm  

I get to play with Colors 🙂 how fun.

--Welp, it's the state of things with this new forum.  It was much easier to communicate in the old forum.

Containing with a DE is not sound, at least in my mind...and the coaches (myself included back in my first year as a header) I have encountered that use them this way generally have them flying up the field and boxing.

--Yes, that's the way most use it.  Blech...

I do use a nasty split, my H and Y are aligned in the slot.

--There's as good a reason as any to return to the Double Wing.

Is it arrogant to think this is not possible?

--No, it's quite probable.  But I've been beaten more because of my own arrogance than by probably anything else, so there's that.  And underestimating an opponent is arrogance.

I am confident that there will be no rainbow snaps...he can get the ball there on time and on target...as long as Zombie boy doesn't show up.

--Uh-huh.  "As long as Zombie boy doesn't show up."

I am excited

--Alright then.  Well so am I.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 23, 2020 2:18 pm  

FWIW, Re: Wide 9's

When we first intro'd the Wing T w/ our team, naturally we used a lot of Bucksweep, wide 9's became pretty much the standard response in our league.   So, Buck Short (always a personal fav), became even more effective, cut it up off-tackle, and once we get into the 2nd level, most our guys bust it outside and force those wide DE's to try to catch them from behind. 

Note: our shiftier HB's we tell 'em to cut back across the grain or as Roger Holmes says, "Go back where you came from..."  but the kids who are more straight line speed, we tell them to get thru the hole and get 3 steps then bounce outside. 

Hope this is helpful

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Share: