Notifications
Clear all

Georgia Tech O

Page 2 / 2

CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Our arch rival has run Flexbone with true reads for over 17 years, they have made the playoffs 16 of those 17 years. Their Pop Warner teams also run the same offense, for the same # of years, & have been very successful.

Joe

Who is your arch rival? Dr. Phillips?

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Who is your arch rival? Dr. Phillips?

Lake Brantley.

ReplyQuote
CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver

It's the Veer with 1 B back and 2 A backs.  OK, not strictly but the base B back plays are midline, inside veer, and outside veer, just like in the split back veer.

It's triple option, like the SBV, but out of a different set.  Most SBV teams have a Z receiver that is off the LOS, the flexbone has 2 receivers on the LOS and 2 slots aligned like WB's.

Paul Johnson - as far as I know - adapted the flexbone from a veer philosophy and a tweaked wishbone formation.  He had been a defensive coordinator and always thought the hardest offense to plan for was the wishbone with the TE's split out.  He moved the half backs to the slot/wings, I would guess to add motion to the equation - which in turn makes counters more deadly - and to help - guessing again - to get the A backs in pitch relationship if the QB pulled the dive.

PJ started running it a Georgia Southern, and had great success under legendary HC Erk Russell, took it to Navy - and made them the dominant service academy and competitive week in and week out, and now to Georgia Tech.  He can't recruit as well as others because most 4 and 5 star players want a stage for the NFL scouts and are afraid the option scheme wont translate.  Still, he managed to lead the ACC in points scored, highest 3rd down conversion rate, and a bunch of other categories.  They beat UGA who is consistently in the top 5 recruiting classes, and they won a "Big 6" bowl.

PJ was on the hot seat at the beginning of the season.  I think his seat is quite cool right about now. 

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

It's the Veer with 1 B back and 2 A backs.  OK, not strictly but the base B back plays are midline, inside veer, and outside veer, just like in the split back veer.

It's triple option, like the SBV, but out of a different set.  Most SBV teams have a Z receiver that is off the LOS, the flexbone has 2 receivers on the LOS and 2 slots aligned like WB's.

Paul Johnson - as far as I know - adapted the flexbone from a veer philosophy and a tweaked wishbone formation.  He had been a defensive coordinator and always thought the hardest offense to plan for was the wishbone with the TE's split out.  He moved the half backs to the slot/wings, I would guess to add motion to the equation - which in turn makes counters more deadly - and to help - guessing again - to get the A backs in pitch relationship if the QB pulled the dive.

PJ started running it a Georgia Southern, and had great success under legendary HC Erk Russell, took it to Navy - and made them the dominant service academy and competitive week in and week out, and now to Georgia Tech.  He can't recruit as well as others because most 4 and 5 star players want a stage for the NFL scouts and are afraid the option scheme wont translate.  Still, he managed to lead the ACC in points scored, highest 3rd down conversion rate, and a bunch of other categories.  They beat UGA who is consistently in the top 5 recruiting classes, and they won a "Big 6" bowl.

PJ was on the hot seat at the beginning of the season.  I think his seat is quite cool right about now.

If hje can recruit a dominant defense, he won't be on the hot seat for a long, long time.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

PJ was at Georgia Southern twice and the naval academy twice along with being at Hawaii. They broke the bone to add a passing attack. In the early days there was a run and shoot enfluence to the passing game. PJ was a DL coach at Georgia Southern before becoming the oc. They also don't have osv in the playbook.

ReplyQuote
CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver

PJ was at Georgia Southern twice and the naval academy twice along with being at Hawaii. They broke the bone to add a passing attack. In the early days there was a run and shoot enfluence to the passing game. PJ was a DL coach at Georgia Southern before becoming the oc. They also don't have osv in the playbook.

I forgot about Hawaii......I also didn't know they don't have OSV in the playbook.  The off tackle dive looks like OSV......is it a called dive?

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

Yes it's a clef dive that the back tends to bounce at times. The spread option book honestly covers the offense pretty well though it's before rocket was added.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: