Good God I love gam...

Notifications

Good God I love game film  

RSS

darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 8, 2016 1:31 am  

So after last Saturdays loss I didn't have time to watch film until today. All the other coaches were blaming our inability to run solely on the O-line which after watching film I saw was complete BS. The line had a few problems like most of us do but overalll they were doing their jobs by the book most of the time. The main problems I saw were lead blockers jogging not running to the holes, Backs not hitting the proper holes called. On sweeps cutting back inside when they had open real estate and 6 points on the outside. And lead blockers hitting first to see instead of their assignments or blocking the wrong guy all together.

Also, wrong play calls at times when the edge counts and line counts didn't give it.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 8, 2016 3:58 am  

I hope you have HUDL and that your AC's watch it. It is SO effective for that exact issue.  Shuts people up fast.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 8, 2016 6:51 am  

Yes I use them, I tellastrated the crap out of the video pointing out where they were wrong and where they were right at times.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 8, 2016 10:15 am  

I would bet about half the time....what I thought we did well or poorly changes quickly after watching film. The game still moves a little fast for me when I watch it live. I can really only watch one position at a time during the game. If I didn't watch film I would forever be yelling at the wrong guys AS Well AS praising the wrong guys.

I don't know how coaches can see the side of the OL away from your own sideline. When the kids were really small I could see the tops of their helmets. Now they are all too tall for me to see. I really don't know how guys make fixes to their teams w/o film.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 8, 2016 11:56 am  

I have generally found when I look at my film that my first offensive line does a good job opening holes. It's usually the blocks in space that blow the plays up - be it the backs or a puller.

My back up OL is a different story, but again, generally they do a decent job.

Sort of on topic - what I really should do is go back through the last 3-4 years of film that I have on HUDL and make some notes to find trends.

I think a valuable piece of information would be how many times the puller made a difference (either via block or getting in the way) vs. his hole not being sealed causing the play to blow up. I spend a lot of time finding and teaching 2 or 3 linemen to pull, I wonder how much of a difference they make on certain plays.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 9, 2016 10:46 am  

what is it with backs cutting back inside? There is something in the middle of the linebackers that the running backs have to try to get to. Every film session we see kids have open grass to outside and some invisible force SUCKS em in like a magnet straight into the nearest linbacker

its unknown what causes this sickness but apparently the cure is down ups until you puke

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 9, 2016 10:55 am  

See if you can work out a trade with the dude on here whose kid always bounces.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 9, 2016 11:03 am  

Yeah, I think you'd have a whole group of coaches who run DW and SW who'd trade with you because they only have backs who want to bounce it, not cut up/back...

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 9, 2016 10:47 pm  

My oldest son is a RB. His coach is forever yelling at him to cut outside. I have seen many occasions on film where he has left TD's on the field because of his propensity to cut inside rather than outside.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 11, 2016 7:12 am  

We lost yesterday and it was do to my backs not running thru the hole and my blockers almost jogging to their assignments. We were physically imposing but my backs got tired and it showed. we are down to 13 players.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
September 12, 2016 7:07 am  

We lost yesterday and it was do to my backs not running thru the hole and my blockers almost jogging to their assignments. We were physically imposing but my backs got tired and it showed. we are down to 13 players.

ouch!!

this is always a tough situation, been there, advice, use time outs if for nothing else than for kids to get a breather and water, use max time between plays on offense, this will slow game down, have players NOT run out of bounds when they arent forced, this will keep clock running and shorten game....shallow 2 point vs 3 pt??? think this would conserve energy....definitely speed up pulling!

ReplyQuote
Share: