Notifications

Had a new one called on us this weekend  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
September 9, 2019 6:15 am  

I have a fullback that is a first year player, but he is a stud.  Born to play fullback.  This past week we had been working on using a stiff arm.  He breaks a belly to the outside after getting through the LOS, and their safety comes up to try and tackle him, he delivers a very mean and nasty stiff arm to the top of his helmet as the kid is trying to go low, and he send the kid down.  He was open handed with the thumb down, just like we teach, and we teach him to abuse the tackler with it, not to be gentle.  And he was not gentle, he absolutely trucked him with that stiff arm.  Got flagged for it as a blow to the head...  Never had that one before.  The ref explained it as essentially you cannot be extending the arm to make the contact with the head, your arm has to be straight when you make the stiff arm to the head.

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 9, 2019 6:18 am  

Make sure is arm, of course is not fully extended when he makes contact, Hyper extended elbows and such.

I would bring it up to higher up refs but that is a new one for me.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
September 9, 2019 6:28 am  

Make sure is arm, of course is not fully extended when he makes contact, Hyper extended elbows and such.

I would bring it up to higher up refs but that is a new one for me.

They said the opposite, the arm needs to be fully extended for it to not be a penalty.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
September 9, 2019 6:43 am  

I should also add, that the ref did say he could have ejected my player, because the penalty is targeting.  Now he did not eject him, but said he could have.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2019 6:58 am  

I should also add, that the ref did say he could have ejected my player, because the penalty is targeting.  Now he did not eject him, but said he could have.

Welp, there’s the rule book and then there’s the invented rules that any ref wants to call.  We should never forget, the game is all about them.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 9, 2019 7:18 am  

Pretty sure HS doesn’t even have a targeting rule. Unless they’ve recently added it. Maybe you play by NCAA rules tho?

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 9, 2019 7:42 am  

I have a fullback that is a first year player, but he is a stud.  Born to play fullback.  This past week we had been working on using a stiff arm.  He breaks a belly to the outside after getting through the LOS, and their safety comes up to try and tackle him, he delivers a very mean and nasty stiff arm to the top of his helmet as the kid is trying to go low, and he send the kid down.  He was open handed with the thumb down, just like we teach, and we teach him to abuse the tackler with it, not to be gentle.  And he was not gentle, he absolutely trucked him with that stiff arm.  Got flagged for it as a blow to the head...  Never had that one before.  The ref explained it as essentially you cannot be extending the arm to make the contact with the head, your arm has to be straight when you make the stiff arm to the head.

Hes correct, specific to the rule just explained it wrong. He saw it as a strike to the helmet, thats illegal just like helmet slaps.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2019 7:45 am  

Hes correct, specific to the rule just explained it wrong. He saw it as a strike to the helmet, thats illegal just like helmet slaps.

Then just outlaw the stiff arm.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2019 7:48 am  

Lemme tell you what's ridiculous about this so-called "rule."  We have a ball-carrier who is protecting himself from a tackler getting penalized.  What Deacon Jones used to do, is illegal and should be.  A stiff arm by a ball-carrier is protection.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 9, 2019 7:52 am  

Lemme tell you what's ridiculous about this so-called "rule."  We have a ball-carrier who is protecting himself from a tackler getting penalized.  What Deacon Jones used to do, is illegal and should be.  A stiff arm by a ball-carrier is protection.

--Dave

Yes, is agree. It unfortunatley is subjective. What i would  "no call"  this guy would.  Its the "blow to the head" that had refs nervous of law suit. Mine is horsecollar, i was told any tackle above the number and dragging down is a call.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2019 8:03 am  

It unfortunatley is subjective.

Then it shouldn't be.  Make it clear cut.  If it's against the rules for a ball-carrier to protect himself from a tackler, then the rule should just be that RBs have to simply take the hit. 

There's no way you can tell me whether a ball-carrier's arm is fully extended, or not.  And I'm not going to teach my bc to "make sure your arm is already fully extended" when he's risking a hyperextension.  That's just dumb.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
September 9, 2019 8:57 am  

The footage is not the best, I am working to get it uploaded and I will share the youtube link once I do. 

It does suck for those bigger backs if they cannot use a stiff arm like on a kid who wants to cut him down, which is what the smaller kids are going to do.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 10, 2019 12:27 pm  

Why does "stiff arm" have that name?  Because the elbow is indeed locked in extension.  That's what makes it a hard blow, and also does risk a hyperxtension injury to either the elbow or the wrist; maybe even shoulder dislocation.  I find it odd that this form now be mandated, as opposed to hitting with the elbow bent and extending it during contact.

ReplyQuote
vikingdw
(@vikingdw)
Copper
September 10, 2019 1:00 pm  

Just my 2 cents worth... but my understanding is that you can't forcefully punch that stiff-arm into the defender's helmet but you can extend the arm BEFORE contact to the helmet to ward off a tackler. I think we've all seen enough football out there to know the difference between punching the stiff-arm into the defender's helmet and knocking his head back versus extending an arm to keep the tackler at bay. However, at the end of the day it is a subjective call by the ref....

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
September 10, 2019 1:35 pm  

Terrible, Terrible, ticky tacky call.  You have the right to push a tackler off you and if they lower their head and lead with it, that's on them.  Can't stand this crap from these minimum wage refs who want to SHINE and take the game ways from the kids. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: