Had our first Coach...

Notifications
Clear all

Had our first Coaches meeting yesterday.... DCWT!!!

Page 1 / 2

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I must say I am very Happy with the results. The entire organization will be running the DCWT. Going to have to simply it a little for the 6u team, but I think it can be done. I already have the Install DVDs and the Option DVD. I am also going to select the Defensive system for the Organization. So in a few weeks I will be ordering the Killer Bee and the DC46 DVDs. Need some assistance on selecting a defense for the 6u team.

We had a little bit of a confession session yesterday. The Head Coach for this years Senior group when told of what offense he would be running stood up and said, I don't know anything about offense, I need some help, his assistant Coach said, I don't know anything about offense either. The Head Coach for our team said "I don't know anything about defense, the defense is on you", and pointed at me. The way it is looking right now we will have at least 3 to 4 Coaches for every age group. The Head Coach for the 10u team this year is the President and he told me to let him know when I want to do a install day and have everyone meet up to view the DVD's. I have to make this as simple as possible. They are not going to do research and read the 317 pages that are in the book. I need a DCWT install for dummies booklet....  or maybe I just need to pick out the plays and give them a playbook.... Thoughts and ideas PLEASE

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Thoughts and ideas PLEASE

Buy Clark a plane ticket.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The Head Coach for this years Senior group when told of what offense he would be running stood up and said, I don't know anything about offense

What is a "senior group?"

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I seriously doubt the staff is going to read a book or watch a video.  Yet, you're going to run this offense through the entire org?  Good luck with that.

A better bet might be to have Clark come in and explain it to everyone and then to have a "troubleshooter" at practice who can help keep the coaches on track. 

Otherwise, I think your approach will end quickly, and in disaster.  By mid-season, coaches will be saying "this won't work" and will be doing their own thing.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The entire organization will be running the DCWT.

So in a few weeks I will be ordering the Killer Bee and the DC46 DVDs. Need some assistance on selecting a defense for the 6u team.

--You're going to wait "a few WEEKS" before ordering the DVDs?  You think you have that much time available?

They are not going to do research and read the 317 pages that are in the book.

--Then you DON'T have buy-in.  Which makes me wonder why you think you can install this with the entire org(?)  Anyone see the car crash ahead?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

hey coach DP isnt being an A hole here he is calling it like I/he sees it. There is several RED FLAG warning signs up here.

1st off you have more than 1 coach saying they agree on a offense. Thats hard to believe in and of itself, but add on this offense is unique and you still have coaches saying yes to it...very hard to wrap my head around that. Now add the fact that without ever seeing the O they all are signed off on it????

2ndly you mentioned they wont look at the playbook??? or even watch a video........thats a deal breaker right there coach....your either  every teams OC or your not.....like DP said theres no buy in which means your going to walk alone and when the fit hits the shan your going to have all fingers pointed at you.....

recipe for disaster! IMO

coach OC

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

in a few weeks I will be ordering the Killer Bee and the DC46 DVDs.

Tim, buying some DVDs is not the answer.  Knowing how to teach and install what's in those DVDs is the answer.  And if you haven't done it before, you need those DVDs yesterday.  It takes time to learn anything, especially something new.  It takes even longer to learn how to teach it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

This is my 8th year coaching and in my 1st year there was a huge push for everyone, from flag on up to do the same O and D as the HS.  Older Vets said no way and it never got going, more so because teh HS was not very good.

2 years later, a new President got in and pretty much mandated that everyone do a specific O, not what the high school was doing but what he felt was best.  If you did not run his O, he would not select you as a HC and he made that clear.  I ran his O one year and in his 2nd year, we changed the O as the season went along and went 8-2, not only was he FURIOUS, his followers were pissed as well and I knew if he got elected again, he would not allow me to be a HC, just a DC.

I had work to do so we elected a new President due to the 2 year terms, I coached with him in hockey, he makes it clear that you can run any O or D you wish, just as long as we teach the proper fundementals of how to block and tackle in a suitable progression and everyone was happy.

Turn to this coming year, a new President is feeling pressure to make everyone run a spread type O since the younger coaches are all pushing it and we had our meeting last Thurs and the older coaches pretty much said, NO, we will run what we know and want to run, let the younger guys do as the wish just as long as the fundementals are properly taught.

I swear, every time we change Presidents it seems like someone wants to mandate what we all run, it is insane!!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I swear, every time we change Presidents it seems like someone wants to mandate what we all run, it is insane!!

I agree with you.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

in my 1st year there was a huge push for everyone, from flag on up to do the same O and D as the HS.

lol Why?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

This is my 8th year coaching and in my 1st year there was a huge push for everyone, from flag on up to do the same O and D as the HS.  Older Vets said no way and it never got going, more so because teh HS was not very good.

2 years later, a new President got in and pretty much mandated that everyone do a specific O, not what the high school was doing but what he felt was best.  If you did not run his O, he would not select you as a HC and he made that clear.  I ran his O one year and in his 2nd year, we changed the O as the season went along and went 8-2, not only was he FURIOUS, his followers were pissed as well and I knew if he got elected again, he would not allow me to be a HC, just a DC.

I had work to do so we elected a new President due to the 2 year terms, I coached with him in hockey, he makes it clear that you can run any O or D you wish, just as long as we teach the proper fundementals of how to block and tackle in a suitable progression and everyone was happy.

Turn to this coming year, a new President is feeling pressure to make everyone run a spread type O since the younger coaches are all pushing it and we had our meeting last Thurs and the older coaches pretty much said, NO, we will run what we know and want to run, let the younger guys do as the wish just as long as the fundementals are properly taught.

Yes that is ridiculous. My only mandate as President is that our teams actually run something. As long as good fundamentals are being taught then I dont care what your offensive or defensive philosophy is.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Buy Clark a plane ticket.

--Dave

^^^^THIS!!

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

There is no way you can run this O with your entire organization without coaches buying in and taking the time to learn it. It is not easy, there are tons of things you need to learn. Instead of putting it all on once coach on each team split it up. Yes you need an OC (maybe you need to do that for a couple of teams as it gets going) but have each coach on each team have a responsibility.

We split it up like this (when we have enough coaches):

Line & TE's: 2 coaches, or 1. The one needs to be your best overall coach.

Backfield: 2 or 3. One AC for the FB's only. Another for the HB's and QB's and another for the WB's. If you only have two well combine the QB's, HB's and WB's.... but they have so many different cues that in year one your coaches heads will be spinning.

SE's: 1 coach...and this is your least experienced coach. As the kids get older hopefully the coach here gets better.

Then each teams position coaches can work out the kinks and help each other where help is needed. You can't learn this offense, or any offense, overnight.

Get the Powerpoint, the install DVD's and get to work. And you are the one in charge of deciding on the defense ? You need some quality help. The O and D won't just install themselves and from what it sounds like all the AC's are pointing the finger at everyone else telling them it is their job to make it work.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ok, first off, I never said that they wouldn't watch a video, I said that they wouldn't do independant research and read the 317 pages of material. I am hoping that that they might get the basics from watching the install video's and given a playbook with instructions. While I am NOT a DCWT master, SEVERAL OF YOU ARE, AND I AM NOT AFRAID OF ASKING QUESTIONS. While some are totally ignorant, a few of them ran the Wing T in High School so they have a point of reference.

I know that I need the Video's for the Defense now, but I have to take care of my son's Prom first. That's the reason that I am going to have to wait a couple of weeks. Sometimes life does come before football unfortunately. We still may end up with the Blind leading the blind, but at least hopefully we will all be tied to one piece of rope heading in the same direction.

Last year we were a total mess, The Senior age group (12u) scored 12 points all season, the Junior (10u) team scored probably 9 offensive touchdowns in 9 games. The Pee Wee (8u) team scored a lot of points but it was ALL QB sweep left, QB sweep right. I don't think they had a run of over 5 yards if a handoff was made. The coaches are very ignorant, they need to be taught. I have taken the responsibility of trying to make this organization better by making the Coaching better before I leave next year. When I went over the first 7 pages of the PDF for the DCWT yesterday in the meeting, they were all very impressed with what was there. If nothing else its a direction.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I forgot about the powerpoint, got to get the powerpoint.

It will be the end of may, first of June when we start conditioning, lots of Enduro, No pads until the last week of July, unless the league moves it again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: