Notifications
Clear all

Hanging up my whistle

Page 1 / 2

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Im turning the team over to my very good friend Coach Gumby. 

Since my son died in 2015... Coaching has become a grind and is in the way. I am no longer mentally engaged and its hurting the team.  I have to focus on my family. Its not going well these days. A huge void exists and I need to figure out how to fill it. I have no clue what to do but I need to figure it out. Cant do that being married to a youth team every Fall and now its looking like every Spring again. 

Maybe in a year or two I can circle back around a be Lar's water boy. 

Been on this Forum for 20 years. Good times....great memories. I will miss all of you. You inspired me for years. 

Keep on inspiring others !

And thank you Lar for saving me from myself. The only reason I showed up the last 5 years was to hang out with you and all of the energy that is you. Trust me...I wont become a stranger. Heck...Im dragging you to Baraboo with me on occasion. Cy would love to go fishing with you. Bank of it. 👍 

For those that don't know Lar....NOBODY will ever out work him. He is relentless and he rocks! 

Mike

What is beautiful, lives forever.

terrypjohnson, Dusty Ol Fart, 32wedge and 2 people liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Good luck to you Mike.  You've put in your time, paid your dues, and should have no regrets.  The lives you've touched along the way (players, parents and coaches) are innumerable.  You have no idea of the amount of positive impact you've had on others.  Enjoy and indulge in your retirement.  I'm wondering why in the world I'm still doing this, when I have a laundry list of items wanting my attention.  I think you should use this thread to touch on many of the coaching stories you've had over the years (both good and bad); letting others continue to learn from your experiences.  Thank you Mike.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Mike thank you for all that you've taught me. It has been a lot of fun to get to know you. Best of luck in everything. But beware the itch 😉

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Mike, 

Honestly, you've been one of the most inspiring coaches that I've never personally met.  It would have been quite a learning experience for me to have met you and witnessed Gumby, your son and you in action. 

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

Mike,

I want to thank you for your hard work and dedication to youth football in our community.

One of the phone conversations that I had with you a few years back was a game changer. You gave me the blueprint to build my team in our league and I cant thank you enough for this.

I hope that you still pop in the forum and drop knowledge for us younger guys. I know I dont post a lot but I am always trying to learn from top notch coaches such as yourself.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

Wait, what?

Well, at least I hope you keep posting.

I inquired about an empty passing game with 4th graders years ago.  You responded with what was necessary to do it and then said that once that is taken care of..."Let the good times roll."  I about died laughing. 

What a great theme for coaching youth football.  Probably why you've been able to coach for so long.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I came to the conclusion that I am not sure "The Void" is even meant or supposed to be filled Mike.  For you, it belongs to Keenan, it is his space.  Filled with and to continue to be filled with memories and, yes, even Joy.  As much as it helps, I do understand.  See I know this guy who told me that any day I can talk about my son is a good day!   Today was a good day!  Out of the darkness comes light, each and every day!     Peace My Friend.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Thank you, Coach Mahoney! I learned a lot from you since I joined this forum.

If they let me coach up here, I promise to line up in Mega Splits from time-to-time 😎

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

Good luck to you Mike.  You've put in your time, paid your dues, and should have no regrets.  The lives you've touched along the way (players, parents and coaches) are innumerable.  You have no idea of the amount of positive impact you've had on others.  Enjoy and indulge in your retirement.  I'm wondering why in the world I'm still doing this, when I have a laundry list of items wanting my attention.  I think you should use this thread to touch on many of the coaching stories you've had over the years (both good and bad); letting others continue to learn from your experiences.  Thank you Mike.

--Dave

Thank you Dave. I have no clue what Im going to do but I need to figure it out. The plan simply no longer includes the commitment necessary to coach. I haven't been invested mentally in years. I needed to get out of Lar's way. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coach-kyle

Mike thank you for all that you've taught me. It has been a lot of fun to get to know you. Best of luck in everything. But beware the itch 😉

Thanks Kyle. I have really enjoyed the Brotherhood of this Forum for sure. 👍 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @g8trs

Mike,

I want to thank you for your hard work and dedication to youth football in our community.

One of the phone conversations that I had with you a few years back was a game changer. You gave me the blueprint to build my team in our league and I cant thank you enough for this.

I hope that you still pop in the forum and drop knowledge for us younger guys. I know I dont post a lot but I am always trying to learn from top notch coaches such as yourself.

Im humbled and happy I was able to help. I will swing on by every now and then. Now I will have the time to catch up on getting film on youtube and post here. I am years behind. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @youth-coach

I came to the conclusion that I am not sure "The Void" is even meant or supposed to be filled Mike.  For you, it belongs to Keenan, it is his space.  Filled with and to continue to be filled with memories and, yes, even Joy.  As much as it helps, I do understand.  See I know this guy who told me that any day I can talk about my son is a good day!   Today was a good day!  Out of the darkness comes light, each and every day!     Peace My Friend.

My family is struggling. I am struggling. I cant seem to find any peace. I thought coaching football would help and it did to a point but has run its course. The family is slowly drifting away form one another. Keenan would never accept this so Im stepping in. We all need to help one another rather than going it alone. 

Stay well my friend. We are in a Club no parent should ever be in. ❤️ 

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chucknduck

Wait, what?

Well, at least I hope you keep posting.

I inquired about an empty passing game with 4th graders years ago.  You responded with what was necessary to do it and then said that once that is taken care of..."Let the good times roll."  I about died laughing. 

What a great theme for coaching youth football.  Probably why you've been able to coach for so long.

I have to chuckle at some of these young bucks coaching now. They are so damn serious I have to wonder if they ever stop to smell the fresh cut grass. In the blink of an eye the season is over. In the blink of an eye their kids are in HS. In the blink of an eye their kids are coaching with them...which at the end of the day is the best part of the entire process.  

I will keep posting. 👍 

Seth54 and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Thank you, Coach Mahoney! I learned a lot from you since I joined this forum.

If they let me coach up here, I promise to line up in Mega Splits from time-to-time 😎

You wont regret it!

And right back at you. We all share....we all learn. Its saddens me that youth football is a shell of its old self....and this Forum has suffered for it. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger46

Mike, 

Honestly, you've been one of the most inspiring coaches that I've never personally met.  It would have been quite a learning experience for me to have met you and witnessed Gumby, your son and you in action. 

Wow....Im humbled. Thank you for the very kind words. 🍻 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: