Notifications
Clear all

Hanging up my whistle

Page 2 / 2

coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

Mike:

You've been an amazing resource and inspiration for countless coaches on this forum.  I really wish we could have met in person at some point, and maybe some day we will.  You have no idea the number of lives you've touched.  Your presence here, with the teams you've coached, around your family, and I'm sure in other parts of you life, will be remembered by innumerable people for the rest of their lives.  It may seem like a hobby, or a fun pastime, but what you've done is more important to more people than you can ever imagine.

I wish you peace, happiness and love in all your future endeavors and hope that you stop back around this way once in awhile to say hello.  Take care my friend.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

Seth54 and G8trs liked
ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

Coach - I wish you nothing but the best and hope you and your family find what you need.

I am a basketball coach and only coached football for a few seasons when my son played youth.  You and I have corresponded a few times through private message when I had questions and you were always helpful. But my biggest take away from you is beyond football. From reading your posts throughout the years you have taught me to enjoy what I am doing, relax a little and make sure it is fun.  The longer I coach, the less I get concerned with wins and losses. It's the journey. I thank you for that.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdoug

Mike:

You've been an amazing resource and inspiration for countless coaches on this forum.  I really wish we could have met in person at some point, and maybe some day we will.  You have no idea the number of lives you've touched.  Your presence here, with the teams you've coached, around your family, and I'm sure in other parts of you life, will be remembered by innumerable people for the rest of their lives.  It may seem like a hobby, or a fun pastime, but what you've done is more important to more people than you can ever imagine.

I wish you peace, happiness and love in all your future endeavors and hope that you stop back around this way once in awhile to say hello.  Take care my friend.

Thank you Doug. Truly enjoyed all of the football conversations over the years. I especially enjoyed all of your well thought out input. I hope was can meet someday. That would be very cool. 😎 

This post was modified 2 months ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachmiket

Coach - I wish you nothing but the best and hope you and your family find what you need.

I am a basketball coach and only coached football for a few seasons when my son played youth.  You and I have corresponded a few times through private message when I had questions and you were always helpful. But my biggest take away from you is beyond football. From reading your posts throughout the years you have taught me to enjoy what I am doing, relax a little and make sure it is fun.  The longer I coach, the less I get concerned with wins and losses. It's the journey. I thank you for that.

Wow...thank you Mike. 

When my son died we were square in the middle of these typical 7 year runs with the same team. That is what is unique about our League. Same team for up to 7 years if you want. You get to know your opponents well. Most are awesome coaches....some are complete turds. It was pretty easy to finish out since everyone on that team knew my son. That fed me. 

Then I started a new team for another 7 year run. Only the Staff and a few families know who my son was. I was no longer being fed. With every passing year I became more disengaged. Now here I am smack in the middle of that run and I no longer enjoy it. One of the reasons is that I am tired of the competition.... strange as that sounds. Win, lose, draw....nothing motivates me. 

So it was time to get out of the way and let my Staff run with things. 

Now I can enjoy being a fan. 

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

Hi Mike. Just want you to know that I am grateful for all I learned from you over the years. Thank you for the legacy that you are leaving on this forum. I still find myself coming on every now and again to look at and review some of your older posts and threads. Just remember that your son is always with you and that your family will overcome and heal together.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vince148

Hi Mike. Just want you to know that I am grateful for all I learned from you over the years. Thank you for the legacy that you are leaving on this forum. I still find myself coming on every now and again to look at and review some of your older posts and threads. Just remember that your son is always with you and that your family will overcome and heal together.

Thank you for the kind words Vince. I gleaned so much from this Forum and was always happy to give back if/when I could. 

ReplyQuote
Pantherpride79
(@pantherpride79)
Lurker

Mike, I hope you get settled what needs to be settled.I was formerly pantherlinecoach. I didn't interact a whole lot. Spent alot of time reading and studying. You, along with Potter and the late Michael were people I gathered the most from. For 3 years, I have struggled with the dilemma of should I or shouldn't I? My wife suddenly passed back in June of 2018. She was so supportive and with her gone, to this day , I am still unsure of whether I am engaged enough to be doing this. Good luck to you and your family and thanks for all the knowledge you shared with more people than you probably knew.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pantherpride79

Mike, I hope you get settled what needs to be settled.I was formerly pantherlinecoach. I didn't interact a whole lot. Spent alot of time reading and studying. You, along with Potter and the late Michael were people I gathered the most from. For 3 years, I have struggled with the dilemma of should I or shouldn't I? My wife suddenly passed back in June of 2018. She was so supportive and with her gone, to this day , I am still unsure of whether I am engaged enough to be doing this. Good luck to you and your family and thanks for all the knowledge you shared with more people than you probably knew.

Thanks Coach. Sudden loss of someone so close to you is debilitating. I hope we both find some peace. Good luck to you and your family. Its a brutal path we are on. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: