Notifications

HC Reading List.  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 23, 2020 2:29 pm  

Perhaps this will make a good sticky for the forum.  I've always been the sort of person who has sought out information that makes me better at whatever my pursuit is.  Broadening your mind can be done through talking with other people, reading, watching videos etc.  All of these things narrow the "experience gap" whenever embarking on a new adventure.  I encourage other coaches to toss in their favorite books that helped to advance them and their knowledge of coaching football.  Some of the items are my list are technical how-to manuals while others are in story format that contain something that I felt provided value as a coach.

1. Character, Academics & Leadership Blueprint - Dave Potter
You won't find this one on Amazon.  You'll need to track down Coach Dave Potter and request a copy.  He's been spotted in North Carolina and California.  His current whereabouts are unknown.  The blueprint covers the development of youth people through the game of football and in my opinion should be a cornerstone in all coaching practices.

2. Winning Youth Football - Dave Cisar
I strongly believe that this is a good starting point for anyone who is getting involved with coaching or administering youth football.  I found it to be a very easy, non-technical read.  Takeaway topics: Reference to Coach Dave Potters "CAL" program, evaluating players, communicating with parents/players and breaking movements down into individual components.  While the book has an entire offense detailed which I ran for a handful of years and had modest success with it, I personally do not favor the single wing.

3. Everything your coach never told you because you're a girl: and other truths about winning - Dan Blank
Written by a girls soccer coach, so you won't find any American Football technical information in this one.  What you will find however; is plenty of information about developing a team and creating an environment of success where each member of the team helps the others to grow and perform at a higher level.

4. The Junction Boys: How 10 days in hell with Bear Bryant Forged a Champion Team
Story format that details Coach Bryant's 10 day training camp in Junction, Texas.  This transpired in the mid-50's and some aspects of the game has changed since then.  It's absolutely brutal and extremely hardcore.  After reading you may want to watch the movie based on the book, I recommend that you do not. 

5. Undefeated: Character will be revealed. 
Documentary of a Memphis HS football team.  It's worth watching to get a glimpse into the life of the players who spend brief periods of time with a team and a coach and some of the obstacles and lessons that can be learned.

6. Our Boys: A Perfect Season on the plains with the Smith Center Redmen - Joe Drape
Story format that details the success of the Smith Center Redmen and Coach Roger Barta

7. Chasing Perfection: The Principles behind winning football the De La Salle way
I've gifted this to several coaches.  It's technical, not exactly an easy read but there are many tidbits of knowledge in the book that are useful.  You might also enjoy watching the movie When the Game Stands Tall...some events are twisted around to make for a better movie.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

mahonz, rpatric, spidermac and 1 people liked
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 23, 2020 9:17 pm  

Dave Potter, Dave Cisar, Jack Gregory, Clark Wilkins.....all have some of the most sound material written well thought out and diagrammed.  I would add JR Titan's Splitt 4-4 to the list.  Most of this is available either on site or through the author. 

Has anyone heard from or seen Dave Cisar???  

I have Our Boys....Excellent read! Not all X's and O's  Build the tradition!  

Some of my Favs....

The Simple Six...Don Schnake  In my opinion a Must Read for anyone who wants to learn to Coach.  (Goes along with Dave C's Sainted Six)

I am a big fan of one of the first books i ever bought.  Coaching Footballs 50 Defense by Ken Walker.  Easy Read and sound!  

Call me a Push Over.... 63 Defense a Winning Youth Defense by Jack Gregory.  WOW!  Just WOW!  This one really Clicked with me.

A short and simple run down for the Youth QB Coach...Coaching QB Passing Mechanics   Steve Axman

The Assembly Line...Milt Tenopir....OLine Gold

Complete Offensive Line...Rick Trickett.   Good Stuff

Coaching Defensive Linemen...John Levra...  More in depth goodies.  

However,  I would encourage all of you to read stuff that isnt part of your thinking.  

I have Option material from Wishbone to SBV.  Homer Rice, Emory Bellard.

I have West Coast Offense Lavelle Edwards...WOW

a Book Called the Flip Flop Offense (Winged T) written in the 30 or 40s

Whats the point?  Read and absorb information!!   Attend Conferences and clinics.   Look for the One Gold Nugget in the River of information.  

Honest and True,,,,if Jim MCNally is ever speaking about football in your area.....Old School Must See.   Crass and Foul but OMG Smart about Line Play!  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 23, 2020 10:53 pm  

Extreme Ownership - Jocko Wilink 

This is the best book on leadership that has ever been written...I’ll die on that hill. 

Building the Block- La Charles Bentley 

Great offensive line technique book

Above the Line- Urban Meyer and Tim Kight

I’m not the biggest Urban Meyer fan but this book is really more about the impact that the Kight’s and their Focus3 program had on OSU football  

Prodigy liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 24, 2020 12:58 am  

I own all the books on this list.  This list is by no means complete, but off the top of my head:

The Complete Baseball Handbook by Walter Alston and Don Weiskopf--Read this one in the 6th Grade.  Pretty much checked it out of the school library for months on end.  It taught me the importance of organization and the detail of teaching fundamentals.  Yes, it's about baseball but it's also about coaching.

Vince Lombardi on Football by Vince Lombardi and George L. Flynn--It's Vince Lombardi on football!  Read it when I was a kid.  I was fascinated with it and read it over and over again.  Still do.

Winning Youth Football by Dave Cisar--A must-read for anyone coaching youth football.  The best step-by-step how-to there is.

Youth Double Wing: A Winning Youth Football Offense by Jack Gregory--Jack is as close to a football coach genius/savant as there is.  That this book is about the Double Wing makes it even greater.

Youth Double Wing II: The Gun! by Jack Gregory--Jack's genius rivals anyone that's ever coached football.  And if there's a Mount Rushmore for youth ball, he should be the first one on it.

The Calande Double Wing Practice & Drills Manual--An excellent drills manual, it contains "10-Yard Fight" which I am often credited with, but is Steve's drill.

The Toss by Jerry Vallotton--If you're a Double Wing coach, this book is paramount.

Dynamics of the Double Wing by Hugh Wyatt--Yes, it's a playbook, but what a playbook!

--DP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 24, 2020 1:06 am  
Posted by: @prodigy

He's been spotted in North Carolina and California.  His current whereabouts are unknown.

Not unknown; just depends on the time of year.

Cary, North Carolina.

Raleigh, North Carolina.

Belhaven, North Carolina.

Winthrop Harbor, Illinois.

Palm Springs, California.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 24, 2020 7:21 am  
Posted by: @youth-coach

However,  I would encourage all of you to read stuff that isnt part of your thinking.  

@youth-coach good stuff.  My pops said that people rarely exposed themselves to things outside of their current thinking, therefore it's nearly impossible to alter or change ideas that they have.  What you said made me think of this.  I think when it comes to coaching, it's much easier than reading competing views on spirituality or politics.  Some aspects of life people hold really closely.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 24, 2020 7:28 am  

@coachdp the unknown whereabouts was my attempt at humor.  I don't think I included any actual playbooks outside of Winning Youth Football (and the value in that book isn't in the plays imho).  I own quite a few double wing books, I started collecting them.  I think that Calande's stuff is my favorite.  I owned Jack Gregory's DVD's and playbooks, I enjoyed many of the things in his DVD's but I found his style of writing challenging for me to comprehend.  I remember the difficulty being with his 63 defense...he used his own lingo and position names for backers and it threw me way off.  Also we ended up having the most success with a bastardized version of the killer bee. 

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 24, 2020 7:54 am  

Also we ended up having the most success with a bastardized version of the killer bee. 

If you ask Clark he will tell you the Killer B is a kissing cousin of Jacks 63.....:)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 24, 2020 10:09 am  

the unknown whereabouts was my attempt at humor. 

--Yeah, I get it.  I was just telling where I could be reached at any given time, outside of the football season.  Sometimes guys in the area will want to stop by and say, "Hello."  But first, they have to know you're in that area (thus, my "itinerary").  Heck, when we were at our place in Illinois, 3 coaches from this forum paid a visit.  Good times.  When I found out Ryan Patrick was in the D.C. area, I tagged along on one of Deb's business trips so that Ryan and I could hang out for the day.

I owned Jack Gregory's DVD's and playbooks, I enjoyed many of the things in his DVD's but I found his style of writing challenging for me to comprehend.

--That can be an issue when dealing with a genius.  (Not being sarcastic.) I had the advantage of numerous clinics hearing Jack present and seeing his coaching style.  Very few coaches are strong in all areas (scheme, fundamentals, knowledge of how to teach, innovation, clinic, quality of materials available).  Jack is.  Tim Murphy compares well with all the above, but he doesn't have a book.  (Actually, Coach Murphy does have a playbook, "101 Double Wing Offense Plays," but otherwise his materials are video-based.)  Same with Coach Wyatt, who is without peer in the knowledge of scheme, how to teach and production of materials aspect.  But again, he doesn't have a book (other than the aforementioned playbook).  Any Double Wing coaches who don't take in his Tuesday night Zoom clinics (He's given 24 of them, so far) is missing out on a great opportunity.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 24, 2020 12:08 pm  

1. Character, Academics & Leadership Blueprint - Dave Potter
You won't find this one on Amazon.  You'll need to track down Coach Dave Potter and request a copy.  He's been spotted in North Carolina and California.  His current whereabouts are unknown.  The blueprint covers the development of youth people through the game of football and in my opinion should be a cornerstone in all coaching practices.

Ken, thank you for the shout-out.  

I think that too many coaches make the mistake of thinking that great coaching is all about the won/loss record or number of championships.  Being a great coach (IMO) is actually defined by how much you care.  The more you show that you care, the greater you are in the eyes of your players.  And that's really the only criteria a coach should be concerned about being judged by.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Lunchbox liked
ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 25, 2020 2:36 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

I owned Jack Gregory's DVD's and playbooks, I enjoyed many of the things in his DVD's but I found his style of writing challenging for me to comprehend.

--That can be an issue when dealing with a genius.  (Not being sarcastic.) I had the advantage of numerous clinics hearing Jack present and seeing his coaching style.  Very few coaches are strong in all areas (scheme, fundamentals, knowledge of how to teach, innovation, clinic, quality of materials available).  Jack is

Also a former-Marine.  muahahaha.
Actually this reminds me of something worthwhile.  Back when I was powerlifting, there was a coach out of Columbus, Ohio who ran a private gym.  He consulted for the Patriots, Greenbay, college teams, olympic athletes etc.  Zach is familiar with him and the "club" or "gym."  In fact, if you have some downtime and Netflix, watch "Westside vs. The World" it's worthwhile.  Anyhow, the training system this guy was teaching, he essentially borrowed from the Soviet olympic teams and modified it for powerlifting.  It's actually not very complicated at all, but it seems like it is.  It involves using percentages of max weights and rotating "special exercises" on "maximum effort" days.  I remember as a teenager, I laid out all of my Powerlifting USA magazines on the kitchen table and had a notebook in front of me...I would read the monthly articles and I tried to decipher them into a program I could understand.  I never actually managed.

One of the coaches "students" (lifters? a member of the gym) ended up opening an online business selling equipment, apparel, powerlifting accessories etc. and started publishing articles online.  In his early days, he was expecting a child and he wrote about this in one of his articles.

He was assembling a crib and having a heck of a time with it.  He came to the realization that the guy who wrote the instructions for assembling the crib, KNEW HOW TO PUT THE CRIB TOGETHER.  As such, he failed pretty miserably at writing instructions that someone who didn't know how to put the crib together could understand.  There were steps missing.  There were assumptions made about the audience that left them confused.  He drew a parallel between this and the system used at the gym...many people didn't understand how it worked, how to use it...because any time that anyone wrote about it, THEY KNEW how the system worked and the people reading the article DID NOT.

That's another stupid tidbit I carry with me today - that I apply elsewhere, daily life, coaching, communicating with my boss etc. 

Jack Gregory is an extremely intelligent dude.  He knows his stuff.  I've taken a fair amount away from his DVD's and such.  I thought his 63 defense book stunk because it was just too darn technical and he made too many assumptions when writing it.  He knew the system, I did not.  He wrote it like he was talking to himself.

Seth54 and Lunchbox liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 25, 2020 2:47 pm  

He was assembling a crib and having a heck of a time with it.  He came to the realization that the guy who wrote the instructions for assembling the crib, KNEW HOW TO PUT THE CRIB TOGETHER.  As such, he failed pretty miserably at writing instructions that someone who didn't know how to put the crib together could understand.  There were steps missing.  There were assumptions made about the audience that left them confused.  He drew a parallel between this and the system used at the gym...many people didn't understand how it worked, how to use it...because any time that anyone wrote about it, THEY KNEW how the system worked and the people reading the article DID NOT.

Wow, interesting that you should write that!  My personal, all-time, Number One criticism/pet-peeve is those who write (and give) instructions.  Whether they are from IKEA, YouTube, General Motors, Harley-Davidson or football coaches, I am most often driven crazy by what is omitted or poorly explained.  Years ago, I had to write a training manual as a job requirement for the professors and staff at Duke University.  I think it was one of the best things I have ever written.  I recently found it when cleaning out the attic and took one last look at it before chucking it into the trash can.  But 20 years after writing it, I still felt like it was a technical tour-de-force.  Instructions usually aren't read because there are so few instructions that are worth reading.

--Dave 

#BattleReady newhope

Lunchbox liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
September 26, 2020 2:56 pm  

@prodigy

I’m pretty familiar with Louie and Dave Tate and I think it’s a really good analogy. In the past I have reached out to Dave and direct messaged him on social media with training questions. He’d take the time to answer them, even for a nobody like me.  One thing I think is applicable on this forum is Dave‘s belief in passing on knowledge. He said Louie instilled in him that one of the best things you could do in their sport is to coach somebody to be better than you. 

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 28, 2020 8:08 am  
Posted by: @seth54

@prodigy

I’m pretty familiar with Louie and Dave Tate and I think it’s a really good analogy. In the past I have reached out to Dave and direct messaged him on social media with training questions. He’d take the time to answer them, even for a nobody like me.  One thing I think is applicable on this forum is Dave‘s belief in passing on knowledge. He said Louie instilled in him that one of the best things you could do in their sport is to coach somebody to be better than you. 

@seth54 I got involved with Powerlifting as a teenager in the 90's.  I had the pleasure of visiting Westside and over the years, I was fortunate enough to train with some guys who were at the top of the food-chain in the sport.  The vast majority of the guys were very humble, down to earth, funny...regular dudes.  There's a small minority who I guess are full of themselves or just aren't much interested in the attention of others.

I learned early on, thanks to Chuck Vogelpohl, who I very much idolized when I was about 16 years old...that being a great lifter doesn't make you any sort of great.  As much as that was a crappy pill to swallow, I suppose I'm glad that I had the experience I did with the guy. 

The thing is...very little that we do on this earth is as it seems.  Powerlifting is supposedly all about lifting the most amount of weight...but really it has nothing to do with how much weight you can lift...it has to do with the connections you build with people, the positive impact you have.

Look @CoachDP.  Easily one of the best youth coaches...if he kept to himself and only focused on the team he's coaching: yes he'd have a positive impact on those young men...but by helping you, helping me, he builds connections with both of us.  We take what we learn from him and help the teams we coach...it's all positive vibes, community, respect between men...and I think that's a big part of purpose in life.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 29, 2020 12:23 pm  
Posted by: @seabass

Building the Block- La Charles Bentley 

Great offensive line technique book

Just ordered this today.  Thanks for the reminder Josh.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: