(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 29, 2020 1:41 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Vince Lombardi on Football by Vince Lombardi and George L. Flynn-

I still have this... the 2 Vol. set.

Read a lot of good books on various Offenses and Defenses... but from a different perspective...  Consider _Flatland_ by Edwin Abbot Abbot.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 29, 2020 2:55 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

Look @CoachDP.  Easily one of the best youth coaches...if he kept to himself and only focused on the team he's coaching: yes he'd have a positive impact on those young men...but by helping you, helping me, he builds connections with both of us.  We take what we learn from him and help the teams we coach...it's all positive vibes, community, respect between men...and I think that's a big part of purpose in life.

We're all given missions.  Some of us take them seriously, and some of us don't.  One of my missions has been to coach.  We all have a very short time to do this, even when we've done it for a very long time.  And an 8-game season is VERY short, in comparison to the amount of time we spend anticipating that season.  I can't coach kids on someone else's team, but I may be able to help that coach so that he can.  Paying it forward, is one of the most important things we can do, in coaching and in life.  And it requires the most important commodity we have: Time.  Because once time has been spent, it is never recouped.  BTW--Thanks Ken.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Lunchbox and mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 29, 2020 10:39 pm  

@coachdp

I’ll be curious to see what you think. 

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 30, 2020 1:10 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

And it requires the most important commodity we have: Time.  Because once time has been spent, it is never recouped. 

Funny you should say that...So happens that one of the guys who trained at a gym I went to was a professor at Harvard Business School.
When I was involved with starting the youth program, I spoke with him and he basically said the same thing...the most precious resource that we have is time, it's not renewable...and the truth is, we never know how much time we actually have.  This raises an interesting bit of philosophy because, people often put things off, they worry about tomorrow and yesterday and there's no saying that you'll have a tomorrow.

I think that life is really all about having a positive impact on the world around us.  It's like taking a rock and throwing it into the pond and the ripples go outward to the shore.  Everyone doing their little part to have a positive impact on others would change the face of the earth...I'm going to take a nap, wake me up when the face of the earth is changed for the better guys.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: