Hello coaches!! Did...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello coaches!! Did y'all have a 2020 season?  

coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
Topic starter  

Hello All!  I've been absent from here for about 3 years, but I stumbled across the site and thought I'd say hey. I coached at a local Division 4 (small school, less competitive) school in my area (San Diego) from 2017 until last summer.  Then I moved to the Temecula/Murrieta area (about an hour north of where I was). Now I am on staff at Vista Murrieta High School, where I am the JV defensive backs coach.  It's the first time I've been on the defensive side of the ball in about 10 years or so, so that's been fun.  VM is a major Division 1 (biggest schools, most competitive) power in this area.  I love it - the frustrations of low numbers and not having everything we need are just non-existent at a school like this.  We had about 80 kids come out for freshman ball this year, which was down from about 110 most other years due to Covid.  My DB group on JV alone was about 25-30 kids.

We haven't played any football this school year, nor have we officially started practice yet.  We have been in offseason conditioning/practice mode all along.  March 1 is our drop dead date - we'll either have to start official practices by then or they'll just cancel the season.  We have to be done by April 17, so it looks like we might get 5 games, if the Covid numbers continue to come down. That would allow us to play our league schedule. It's going to be crazy trying to manage the logistics - at the same time, track and field (both boys and girls), soccer (both boys and girls), baseball, softball, and lacrosse (both boys and girls) will be happening, so we'll have a lot of other groups to share facilities with for both practices and games.

Did any of y'all get to play in the fall, or any time since, or where your seasons cancelled this year?

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

We had our youth season and it was surprisingly "normal". We played all 8 of our scheduled games, at least as many scrimmages and hosted a post season "festival" with about 10 teams. We played 4 games in 1 weekend. There were zero outbreaks or even cases that could be traced to youth football, which really is a head scratcher. We took temperatures, limited crowd sizes and wore masks, but other wise played football. A handful of teams quarantined and had a few games cancelled due to positive tests from family members.

HS had a less normal season. I actually attended 2 games with limited and socially distanced crowds. Playoffs were held and state champions crowned, but many more games were cancelled. Games were put together last minute between two teams who had opponents that had to quarantine. This happened quite a bit and many teams only played 4 games. Many teams had to quarantine big chunks of their rosters due to a "cohort" that had to quarantine. 

Some teams opted to participate in a Spring season. Practices start in 10 days. This is Denver and we had a high temp today of 4 Fahrenheit. It is currently -6. While not normal, it's not out of the ordinary. In a typical Spring youth season, we expect at least 3 snowstorms from March to May and at least one full blow blizzard. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We are supposed to have a scrimmage this Friday and then begin play the following Friday.  Virtually every (other) day we practice in rain/sleet.  Our numbers are way down, as the kids get their learning online at home.  I don't know how we'll get this done, but we're gonna try.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Doug, long time no see, glad to again.  We didn't get the team together a single time in 2020.  The Morris County (NJ) Youth Football League to my knowledge didn't cancel the season, but I don't know how many clubs, if any, played in it.  Online fundraising resumed with some Super Bowl related gambling event.  Nothing's been said to me about any plans for spring clinic as we last had in 2019.  The cohort of players I've been coaching would be of age for our oldest class this fall, but I'm concerned about whether we'll be able to get a team together after that long a layoff; with younger players I'd be less skeptical.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

Our numbers are way down, as the kids get their learning online at home.

--Dave

Are the players ineligible for sports if they do online learning?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
Topic starter  

It sounds like it was a mess all over.  At least Gumby's youth season went somewhat normally.  All youth leagues in Southern California cancelled their seasons.  A bunch of travel clubs sprung up to give kids that wanted to play an option, but I'm not really aware of how much they got to play or if they had to go out of state to do it.

I'm still hopeful that we'll get to play a few games in March and April, but with a lot of kids opting to play other sports (AFAIK each kid is only allowed to play one sport at a time, so we'll be missing a bunch of starters at all levels, but so will all our opponents, I would imagine), the level of play figures to be a shadow of what it would normally be.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Are the players ineligible for sports if they do online learning?

No, they're not ineligible.  But freshmen and sophomores have to get rides to practice; that's something that isn't an issue when they're already in the building.  And it's easier to get kids for sports when they're already at school, seeing their friends everyday and seeing the coaches.  In addition, all of the offseason stuff we do to keep them involved, doesn't get done now.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper

We had our regular season and playoffs. Kids were in school the whole time with the option to digital learn from home. We had a lot of restrictions during practices, especially at the start of the season.  There was no contact and no pads, no dummies for most of the preseason. We had to have 5 minute breaks every 10 minutes, which some viewed as wasted time. It was a great time to learn blocking rules, chalk up the plays, explain the drills we were about to do, etc.  By the time the season started we were pretty normal, we just had to keep the breaks every 10 minutes.  During games the sideline had to "social distance". Coaches had to wear masks the entire time(practice and games) and a lot of the team building activities were canceled.     

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdoug

Did any of y'all get to play in the fall, or any time since, or where your seasons cancelled this year?

Hi Coach,

Yep, the board waited as long as they could before making the call to have a season or not.  Came down to our county [We’re a rec league – I coach 3rd & 4th grade] being so rural, Covid really hadn’t found its way to us, yet.   After going round and round [Board, coaches and parents] someone asked if anyone in the room knew of anyone who lived in our county who had contracted Covid.  No one had, so it was decided to have a season until we couldn’t have one.   We started a week late, as it was – cancelled the out of county, non-league competition.  After game 2 an older kid whose mom was positive went to a party, and 2 of the kids in the league had older siblings at the party.  We shut down for 2 weeks, no one got sick, so we resumed competition.  Finished 8-0, league champs.

Curiously, our Sr level [5th and 6th grade] had more kids than usual and had to add a team.  Parents were desperate to get their kids out of the house for while, the kids were desperate to play something… there had been no baseball and such…  numbers were up at that age group, but about the same for ours. 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We're supposed to have a scrimmage Friday, but school's been cancelled tomorrow because of weather.  Which is very strange since nobody's at the school anyway.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We're supposed to scrimmage today, but it's been cancelled due to weather because our opponent doesn't want the game to mess up their field.  Um....it's FEBRUARY.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

We were able to play the complete season.  (Fall)  I'm President of our association.  We were able to play all the games for all teams within our regular schedule and complete the playoffs.  We did have several rescheduled games due to COVID issues.  My team played 2 games with 3 two-way starters in Quarantine.  But we survived.

For my team specifically, we were 2 seed and lost in the 'ship. 

Lost 0-12 to our Rival in reg season off two big plays..  1st TD was a total bust on D.  The 2nd TD we allowed was my fault as coach on a Hail Mary to end the 1st half, I put us in a prevent out of the Time out, and my guys didn't align correctly.  I should have called another TO....

Then lost 0-6 in the 'ship to the same Rival.  Shut them down all day, then gave up a TD on a long drive with two failed 4th down stands at end of 1st half.  We'd lost our HB in the Semi's to a collarbone, so we had to ride our FB. We weren't deep...  Couldn't get anything going on O.  Finally went Beast in the 2nd half, but stalled out.  We were the only team to stay within 3 TDs of them all season.

It was my first year not calling plays as OC, I took over 100% DC which has always been second fiddle when I did both.  It was different, but I adjusted well.  The new OC has tons of good youth football coaching experience and we coach baseball together.  We meshed what he had done previously with what I liked to do pretty well.  And we worked well together on game planning, adjustments, and in-game communication.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Share: